Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Puk
    Hi. I've read a few of the launcher threads, but it's hard to parse out which of the many launchers does just what I want. Which is this (now on a Treo 755p):

1) Press a hard button (calendar, etc).
    2) Press a key on the keyboard to launch an app (or perform some other function).

I don't really care if a menu pops up or not. What I've found:

1) CoLauncher. Very old (and I registered it way back when). Does most of what I want, but has a couple glitches that will never be fixed. (For instance, the 755p comes with Google Maps in ROM. If you install a RAM copy, most things will run it correctly, but CoLauncher will always launch the ROM version.)
    2) HBX. Nicer, and a (little bit) more flexible. Still rarely updated. Most importantly, on the 755p (and apparently the 680), if the screen is off, hitting the HBX hard button will not turn the screen on. They say it will be fixed in the next release, but have no timeframe for it.

Any other app suggestions? Workarounds for either issue? Thanks!

-puk
    PetitLauncher will do just that, I have it setup to launch some apps and open MetaDA to access my DA's.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/petitlaunch.shtml
    I can't say enough good thing about Hi-Launcher from Ranosoft.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Try Type Right, I really am pleased with it.
    Braj,

I also used TypeRight (and Hi-Launcher). TR is MUCH easier to setup, but I think Hi-Launcher is a little more powerful.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  6. Puk
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm still not quite there, though. Here's why:

1) Hi-Launcher: Very close. Although you have to do a couple of extra steps to set it up, it's pretty flexible. However, as far as I can tell, you can't map a hard button as your second button, which I use in CoLauncher. (I like date -> m to go to google maps, and date -> date to go to 2day, for instance). Perhaps I'm missing a way to do it?
    2) PetitLaunch: Very slick/minimalist, and flexible, but suffers from the same problem as #1 (no hard buttons after trigger).
    3) TypeRight: Very pretty, and different (lets you hold a button phone-app-short-cut-style from anywhere). But not quite what I'm looking for. (I don't like holding in buttons and more importantly, can't be triggered while the treo is off).
    4) EasyLaunch5 (someone else suggested): Very flexible, but does not handle hard button press followed by keypress. (In fact, I'm not sure it handles keyboards at all).

Again, I'd appreciate more suggestions or fixes for the above. Thanks!

-puk
    TreoLauncher might work for you. It depends upon how many programs you have installed and how many you want to launch with key presses. TreoLauncher allows you to type the name of the program you want to start. Once it finds a single match, it automatically launches. Files and Filez are the only programs that I use regularly that require more than 2 letters for the name before launching. I've just grown accustomed to pressing the F and then hitting the icon or down arrow and enter.

Not exactly what you were looking for but might be worth a try.
    You can also set up Treo Launcher to use the numeric keys based on the icon layout on the screen. Of course, this only works right if you can fit all the icons for the programs you want on one screen. That's 12 icons total (0, * and # activate the bottom row). I find that between the hard buttons and the 12 icons, I can launch my most-used programs with a single button (or two since I have some set to option+hard button - web is option+phone, for example).
    I wouldn't look past Initiate - it launches programs, calls and sms's - using the keys.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rossarnie View Post
    I wouldn't look past Initiate - it launches programs, calls and sms's - using the keys.
    But don't you need to launch Initiate first though?
    Yes, but you can set it as the default launcher...
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Yes, but you can set it as the default launcher...
    But you have to go to it before you can launch any app. Type Right etc will launch just by holding down a button within nearly any app. I hold down P, it launches Prunes. I hold U, it pops up a list of my most-used websites. I hold 1(E) and it dials my wife. I hold down Munu and it brings up the command bar. Plus lots more for nearly every key. This sort of launching seems to use the thumboard to the best effect on the Treo.
  13. Puk
    I tried out Initiate, and as far as I can tell it suffers from the same "problem" (meaning not what I'm personally looking for) as some of the others. That is, even after launching, you can't program it to have a certain keypress immediately launch a certain app (even when Initiate is running). There are a lot of settings in Initiate, though, so it's possible I've missed a setting to do that... Anyone?

I don't mind having to launch an app first by hitting a hard button... Both CoLauncher and Hi-Launcher (which seem closest to what I want) require that.

-puk
  14. Puk
    Perhaps an example will clarify what I'm looking for. I realize it's pretty specific. A launcher that will allow me to do these two things will probably make me happy:

1) With my treo off, I hit the datebook button. The treo turns on. (I don't care if it displays a menu or not.) I hit the "x" key. The treo immediately runs google maps. (Note that "x" appears nowhere in the name of Google Maps.)
    2) With my treo off, I hit the datebook button. The treo turns on, as above. I hit the datebook button again, and the Treo immediately launchers "2day."

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I will probably use at least one or two of these apps for other purposes (Initiate seems like it might make a nice general launcher, for instance.)

-puk
    Butler has a "keylauncher" function as well. You basically set up favorites button with an app, speeddial, whatever, and then a single press of the button will dial or launch...

ie. I have "C" for concall, z for filez, i to launch web, p to launch photo/camera, r to launch mReset, etc...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    petitlaunch (on a 650) does exactly what you itemized in your post.

that app gets nowhere near the credit it deserves. free to boot.
    But:
    1) If you have more than 26 programs/phone-numbers, what do you do?
    2) And how do you remember what letter starts which program/phone-number?
    (Perhaps I have a poor memory... )
    3) And I think its a nuisance to have to set up each new program individually with it's assigned key.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post

I have to say PetitLauch is really very cool. It always amazes me that these freeware "gems" keep popping-up all the time.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    But:
    1) If you have more than 26 programs/phone-numbers, what do you do?
    2) And how do you remember what letter starts which program/phone-number?
    (Perhaps I have a poor memory... )
    3) And I think its a nuisance to have to set up each new program individually with it's assigned key.
    Type Right allows as many items per key as you like. I don't use it to map out every contact and program, I just map them by something logical: URLs are under U, Ptunes is P. Weather apps under W, the Mail hardkey launches Chatter and if I hold it it launches Messaging. It isn't a neusance to me because I don't try and add everything to it, just as I find I need quick access to something, I add it. I also use MegaLauncher so when I need an obscure app that is rarely needed, I'm not launching from the kbd.
  20. Puk
    Each in turn:

Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post

See above -- I really liked it when I checked it out. However, as far as I can tell, it doesn't have the ability to launch an app based on a hard button press after the trigger (like date book, date book in my examples). Did I miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Butler has a "keylauncher" function as well. You basically set up favorites button with an app, speeddial, whatever, and then a single press of the button will dial or launch...

ie. I have "C" for concall, z for filez, i to launch web, p to launch photo/camera, r to launch mReset, etc...
    Like TypeRight, as far as I can tell. Slick, but not really what I'm looking for (don't like to hold buttons, won't work if Treo is off).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast