1.    #1  
    I wanted to know how does it work, what do i need and whats the quality ? Is anyone using it on the verizon 700p?
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    It works fine on the 700P. The picture quality is very good considering. You buy a Slingbox (there are three models), you hook it up to a cable box, you then hook it to an Ethernet cable (there are several ways to do this if your computer isn't near a cable box), you install the software on your computer, configure it for the Slingbox, then you install the software on your 700P and tell it where to find the player by using an ID number. If you don't have a good EVDO signal don't expect it to play smoothly without skipping. My EVDO area isn't great, but it works well enough for me. And Slingbox has the best customer service I have ever dealt with. They will log onto your computer remotely and help you with the settings. They are amazing. It's well worth the money, IMHO.
    Maybe the best $$ I spent on technology in a long time!

I purchased my SlingBox well before their mobile client was available on the Palm OS and enjoyed it on my PC in my office on my laptop via broadband card when I travel.

I was one of the beta testers for the Sling Media Palm and saw it go from very beta to VERY SOLID and STABLE in a short time.

I am using it on my 700p on Sprint EVDO and no complaints at all.

I also agree that their staff and support is professional and first class!

My only regret is that I bought the AV version (supports one device) and if I did it over again I would spend the extra $$ for the PRO version that supports up to 4 devices (cable, satellite, DVD, VHS, etc etc)

Good luck!
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
  4.    #4  
    oh ok because i did see the pro for $250 and i wanted to know if it is worth it, thanks guys.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    So you do need a computer for this to work. Thought it could just run with router with internet access and a cable line or satellite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor_A View Post
    So you do need a computer for this to work. Thought it could just run with router with internet access and a cable line or satellite.
    That is correct, it is hooked up to your router and the slingbox does the rest. Amazing device, I just picked one up a few weeks ago and I love it! Works great when you are in an area with good EVDO coverage.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    So you do need a computer for this to work.
    You only need the computer to configure the Slingbox.
    Thought it could just run with router with internet access and a cable line or satellite.
    Once it's configured, you only need the router with internet access (and properly opened ports) and no longer need the computer.
    When you say "router," do you mean a wireless router? Does the Sling Box have wifi built-in and have its own IP number? If my computer and TV/Sat box is in different room, does the Sling Box record or rebroadcast the show and replay it I access it from the internet?
    I think therefore I am.... confused!!!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by canosatien View Post
    When you say "router," do you mean a wireless router? Does the Sling Box have wifi built-in and have its own IP number? If my computer and TV/Sat box is in different room, does the Sling Box record or rebroadcast the show and replay it I access it from the internet?
    The Slingbox does not have wifi but does have an ethernet port and so it can get its own IP address. The Slingbox does not do any recording, only transcoding of any of its input(s) across your own LAN and/or across the internet.
    I've had mine for 6 weeks now on my 700p and can't imagine being without it.
    Earlier this week I was in Niagara Falls, Ontario and since Sprint's EVDO carries over the border, I was able to watch my DirecTV (and MLB) after my wife and kids went to sleep.
    Worth every penny. Love it, love it, love it.
    Slingbox not only streams your video source over the internet to your Treo but it also gives you access to the controls on the device.

I can play, FFW, REW recorded programs that I have on my Comcast cable box and watch them anywhere and you can set up about 20 of your "favorite" cable channels in the client software and they show up as icons for each channel (CNN, HBO, ABC, NBC, plus all your locals of course)

It streams any video signal....with the PRO version you could also use one or two of the ports to stream a couple of security cameras from your home or office.

Great toy for those long boring meetings....
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
    Watch out -- at least if you are on verizon. I got a poorly worded letter from them this week stating that they are not going to allow intensive, continuous streaming on unlimited data plans. It did not use the word "slingbox" but it is clear that was what they were taking about-- they said things like "limitations on total bandwidth consumption, etc.

Personally, since the 1.10 "upgrade" my network connection is so unreliable that any discussion of streaming is a joke. Plus I don't live in an EVDO area.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I heard any more the 10gigs a month and they boot you. But this is new about 'continuous streaming' I wonder how much they comsider continuous: 5min 30min 90min? This could be bad...not just for slingboxers...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  14.    #14  
    honestly verizon never sent me or stated that the term "unlimited" isn't really unlimited and i will sue.
    Quote Originally Posted by stayfly View Post
    honestly verizon never sent me or stated that the term "unlimited" isn't really unlimited and i will sue.
    You might want to read this thread before you hire a lawyer...and re-read the description of your data plan.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d+data+Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    It works fine on the 700P. The picture quality is very good considering. You buy a Slingbox (there are three models), you hook it up to a cable box, you then hook it to an Ethernet cable (there are several ways to do this if your computer isn't near a cable box), you install the software on your computer, configure it for the Slingbox, then you install the software on your 700P and tell it where to find the player by using an ID number. If you don't have a good EVDO signal don't expect it to play smoothly without skipping. My EVDO area isn't great, but it works well enough for me. And Slingbox has the best customer service I have ever dealt with. They will log onto your computer remotely and help you with the settings. They are amazing. It's well worth the money, IMHO.
    I'll second that customer service statement. Excellent.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    slingbox is the only reason i haven't ditched my treo!
    The stream from the slingplayer to the PC located at remote place is direct or does the sling box contact the sling media before the stream reaches the remote place(Sling player)?

Please do answer..