Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Because of the SunRocket VoIP fiasco, I was forced to do a bit of research to replace my existing home phone service. With my research, I found this combo that allows me to receive unlimited free incoming calls for both my home and my Treo. What?! Yeah, you read that right! I'm only going to discuss how I got it to work on my Treo.

First of all, I'm on Sprint's SERO plan, which has unlimited data use. So this is what I did to make this work:

1) Setup an account with gizmoproject.com. You're actually setting up a SIP account with sipphone.com. You will get a SIPphone number that looks like this: 1-747-xxx-xxxx

2) Setup an account with grandcentral.com. I bought a grandcentral.com invitation for 99 cents in ebay. Now my grandcentral.com account has 10 invitations, too!

3) Choose a grandcentral.com phone number in step #2. In your grandcentral.com account, put your new SIPphone number from step 1 as one of the phone lines under your account.

4) Trial/purchase a SIP soft client for the Palm. I'm using Articulation.

5) Configure Articulation to login to your sipphone.com account.

6) Establish network connectivity on your Palm.

7) You can run Articulation on the background or you can just run it on the fly if you know when you will be receiving a call.

From any phone, have someone call your grandcentral.com phone number. It will then get automatically forwarded to your sipphone.com account...ie to your Treo. Your Treo will ring as usual just like a regular call.

Result: Free unlimited incoming calls to my Treo. I do see a couple of downsides here:

1) There's about a 1 second lag. For me, no big deal.
    2) You will consume more battery life on your Treo while on the network.
    Last edited by AlpineMan; 07/30/2007 at 11:35 AM.
    let me be the first to say :

very cool !!!
  3.    #3  
    I'm surprised no one else said anything. When I started experimenting with VoIP, I got all these crazy ideas...this one is probably one of the more useful ones.
  4.    #4  
    UPDATE: Looks like I can also do free outgoing calls if I dial the number of my contacts in grandcentral.com. Grandcentral.com dial out works very similar to "Jaja"...but this one's free! So now your VoIP incoming and outgoing calls are free. This one's getting better and better.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ok.. so when you call someone, what number pops up on caller id? wouldn't they call that number back and then you would be charged minutes?
  6.    #6  
    The number that would show up on the person that you're calling is your grandcentral.com phone number...and no, you will not be charged minutes...the person doesn't call that number...grandcentral calls you and the person you're calling...ie both are incoming calls to both phones and grandcentral connects both calls together.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    ok I can understand the free outgoing call bit.

But why the fuss over incoming calls? Being UK based calls too my mobile don't come from my minutes - is this not the case where you are?
  8.    #8  
    Incoming and outgoing calls are only free between 7pm-7am Mon to Fri and all day Sat and Sun. Other than these times, incoming calls are not free...atleast not in the standard Sprint SERO plan.
  9.    #9  
    I don't have any more invites for grandcentral.com. If you'd like a free one, try one of these two:

1) http://www.inviteshare.com/site.php?id=17

2) http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=550859

If you can't wait, buy one from ebay for 99 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post
    I'm surprised no one else said anything. When I started experimenting with VoIP, I got all these crazy ideas...this one is probably one of the more useful ones.
    I think that no one has really reacted because most people didn't have to get familiar with SIP until their Sunrocket crashed - and even then, many just went to another VOIP provider.

That wasn't the case with me 'cause I wanted to stay cheap and I've also been wanting to have 'hot spot' capability with my Treo like the folks that have t-mobile can now do (except I'm with Sprint, which doesn't have that technology).

And even then I'm not sure I would have really understood what you put together before I read:
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=7443292

But - now it looks like I've got it after all.
    Thanks Alpine Man.

BTW, you probably already know this, but another thing that I've learned in the past week is how to completely re-create Sunrocket using a $55 Linksys box and the $35/yr Call In service from Gizmo Project. Easy to do and works just like the real thing, only less expensive and no longer locked to a single service. It's no where near as slick as what you've done, but it was a great place to start.

Thx Again.
    UPDATE: Looks like I can also do free outgoing calls if I dial the number of my contacts in grandcentral.com. Grandcentral.com dial out works very similar to "Jaja"...but this one's free! So now your VoIP incoming and outgoing calls are free. This one's getting better and better.
    Great tip.
    Few questions though:

- Is there any way of using articulation software for free or is there any other software for palm OS?

- If not, is there any software for less than $40 (one time payment)?

- I am not able to receive calls made on my grandcentral number, although when I use call option through grandcentral (click on contacts and hit call on contact at mobile page of grandcentral, like jajah) I do get call right away. But when I call my grandcentral number, I get voicemail. Any idea or tweaks?

- I am getting error "Not acceptable here" time to time. Any clues?

Again thanks for explaining the whole process. Its very encouraging to make calls over VOIP using Treo.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  12.    #12  
    I have not done any other research on other SIP software similar to Articulation for the Palm Treo. The only other one I came across with is MobiVoIP...but I have not played around with it as much as Articulation.

As far as your grandcentral setting goes, make sure that you have your SIP number (your sipphone.com phone number which starts with 747) as one of the phone numbers you have defined if you want it to call your Treo.

Here are my settings in Articulation:
    Name: (you can put anything here)
    Server: proxy01.sipphone.com
    Domain: proxy01.sipphone.com
    Display: (you can put anything here)
    User: 1747xxxyyyy (put your sipphone.com account number here)
    Password: (put your sipphone.com password here)
    Check mark on Register.

Settings for grandcentral.com (SETTINGS tab):
    One setting for all callers is selected.
    Select Gizmo as the phone type.
    Enter your sipphone.com number, starts with 747. Do not put a 1 before the 747.
    Check mark for this entry on All Callers.
    I'm totally a noob with this voip stuff so please bear with me about my noob questions.

So I can place calls for free via Wi-Fi? This would be good since I have limited minutes per month and most other Skype like apps for the Treo actually places calls and thus will eat my minutes. So, with the sip phone number that Gizmo supplies, I can get someone to call me at that 747 number and through this grandcentral, articulation combination I can receive calls without paying a penny? And vice versa? Or course, the caller will have to pay long distance for the 747 number? Is that right?
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    I'm totally a noob with this voip stuff so please bear with me about my noob questions.

So I can place calls for free via Wi-Fi? This would be good since I have limited minutes per month and most other Skype like apps for the Treo actually places calls and thus will eat my minutes. So, with the sip phone number that Gizmo supplies, I can get someone to call me at that 747 number and through this grandcentral, articulation combination I can receive calls without paying a penny? And vice versa? Or course, the caller will have to pay long distance for the 747 number? Is that right?
    First thing first.
    I am a novice at this thing as well so dont sweat.
    As per wifi...there is no wifi on treo.
    And this setup is based on the fact that you have either 700P or 755P treos with EVDO connection (prefereably with sprint due to data rate/restrictions).
    Things you need are:
    1. Sipphone account (you can get it at gizmo site or sipphone.com)
    2. Grandcentral account (check Alpineman posts to get invited)
    3. Articulation VOIP software (about 36 to 37 bucks, depends on exchange rate for the day).

It works better now (not perfect).
    Make sure you choose option "Gizmo" instead of cell or home phone number when given option at 2nd step of grandcentral registration process.

Since calls rely on internet connection and in this case that is EVDO, quality varies depending on area, signal strength and other programs sharing data connection.
    Its a good step in right direction but still its far behind real VOIP like vonage.
    Take care.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  15.    #15  
    1. Yes, you need a sipphone.com account to get your 1-747 account number.
    2. Yes, you need a grandcentral.com account to get a valid phone number. The 1-747 sipphone account number is not a valid phone number. You need to call forward your grandcentral.com phone number to your sipphone.com 747 account number. So when anyone dials your grandcentral.com number, it will forward to your Treo if you're running SIP software configured for sipphone.com like Articulation.
    3. Yes. You need Articulation or any other SIP-based softphone software for your Treo.
    1. Yes, you need a sipphone.com account to get your 1-747 account number.
    2. Yes, you need a grandcentral.com account to get a valid phone number. The 1-747 sipphone account number is not a valid phone number. You need to call forward your grandcentral.com phone number to your sipphone.com 747 account number. So when anyone dials your grandcentral.com number, it will forward to your Treo if you're running SIP software configured for sipphone.com like Articulation.
    3. Yes. You need Articulation or any other SIP-based softphone software for your Treo.
    AlpineMan,
    Since you have same Sprint SERO plan and have 700P, can you post your setup in Articulation software?
    I am done with experimenting with codecs, echo settings etc.
    Since you had a headstart....what you find out playing with software and what would be best settings one should go for to get best voice quality.
    Thanks for spreading this out.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Enfora Wi-Fi sled so I do have Wi-Fi on my Treo.

I already signed up for Gizmo project and have the gizmo for Treo software installed. So does that mean I already have a siphone.com account? I can't find any more info on creating an account for siphone.com.

Waiting for the grandcentral invite so I'll have to wait until I get it before I can continue.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I have the Enfora Wi-Fi sled so I do have Wi-Fi on my Treo.

I already signed up for Gizmo project and have the gizmo for Treo software installed. So does that mean I already have a siphone.com account? I can't find any more info on creating an account for siphone.com.

Waiting for the grandcentral invite so I'll have to wait until I get it before I can continue.
    If your gizmo number is: 714-XXX then yes its same as SipPhone.

Send me a pm. I got some invites left for grandcentral.

I got the invite! Thanks! I was giving up on slickdeals after 2 requests and got missed.

Now, I gotta look for the Articulation software.

EDIT. I've got it set up but somehow, a SkypeOut call doesn't go through to my Treo.
    Last edited by maceyr; 08/17/2007 at 02:01 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Ehsan, please see my post above for my Articulation settings. Those are the only settings I had to do with Articulation to make it work.

Maceyr, when placing an outgoing call, I launch Articulation first. Put it in background mode if you want to use your Treo's web browser to go to http://m.grandcentral.com, if using your PC instead, go to your PC's web browser and goto http://www.grandcentral.com (notice the difference in the 2 URL's). From grandcentral.com, place a call...put in the phone number you want to call and choose your sipphone number as the "caller". Grandcentral will then call your Treo and the person you want to call and "hook" you guys up.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast