Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm using SkypeOut and dialed the number and although my Treo rings, and I supposedly pick up the call, on the SkypeOut end, it is still "ringing" and I hear the ringing tone and eventually, the GrandCentral voicemail picks up the call.

From Articulation's end, it supposedly picked up the call but on Skype's end, it's still ringing.

EDIT. It looks like as soon as I disconnect the call from Skype that I see a brief flash of the "green" phone on the left in Articulation so then, it seems to have connected the call. But of course, the call has been disconnected from Skype's end.
    Last edited by maceyr; 08/17/2007 at 01:41 PM.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
  2.    #22  
    Try using a regular phone line. Call your grandcentral.com number...if you've got Articulation setup correctly, it should work...mine works just fine.
    Do you have to purchase any incoming or outcalls for articulation??

I have a grandcentral account and Number now. I then have the settings to my sip phone # forwarded for all callers.

I then have a gizmo account for my sipphone #.

I have articulation on my treo and it connects.

If they call my grandcentral # it rings and goes to voicemail. I do get a voicemail alert from gizmo showing that there is a voicemail. It does not however get forwarded to articulation so that I can receive the call on my treo.

any help?
    I don't have a landline and thus why I use SkypeOut. I did try to use Grandcentral to connect my Treo and another number and we couldn't hear each other either.

I have to look a bit more into the settings. I did even try the NAT settings that Articulation was talking about with same results or even totally not even able to hear my echo call either.

This would be great if it will work. So far it isn't working for me yet.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    AlpineMan:
    UPDATE: Looks like I can also do free outgoing calls if I dial the number of my contacts in grandcentral.com. Grandcentral.com dial out works very similar to "Jaja"...but this one's free! So now your VoIP incoming and outgoing calls are free. This one's getting better and better.
    Since Gizmo project charges for incoming and outgoing calls that aren't to other Gizmo project members, how are you doing this?
    • Are you using Blazzer and going to Grandcentral mobile site?
    • If you're dialing from mobile web, how do you know it's not adding to your minutes? I've always auto-dialed numbers from the website, but it always used my minutes(This may be due to my Agendus application). Will this use Articulation instead, because it's running in the background?
    • I see this as a mobile number to give people who aren't on my same network and to dial those same people, but I need a little more information.
    • FYI:I've used your settings even though I'm a verizon customer and they worked. I just want to double check the cost factor.
    AlpineMan,

Great post. I tried it out with the trial of Articulation and it worked fine. Voice quality wasn't the greatest, but pretty neat nonetheless.

The only gotcha I can see is that GrandCentral is only allowing Click2Call for free temporarily in beta. Clearly, they are planning to charge for it as the calls deduct credit from the account..

-Treosized
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    AlpineMan:

Since Gizmo project charges for incoming and outgoing calls that aren't to other Gizmo project members, how are you doing this?
    • Are you using Blazzer and going to Grandcentral mobile site?
    • If you're dialing from mobile web, how do you know it's not adding to your minutes? I've always auto-dialed numbers from the website, but it always used my minutes(This may be due to my Agendus application). Will this use Articulation instead, because it's running in the background?
    • I see this as a mobile number to give people who aren't on my same network and to dial those same people, but I need a little more information.
    • FYI:I've used your settings even though I'm a verizon customer and they worked. I just want to double check the cost factor.
    Sorry for not posting sooner...for some reason, I'm not get my subscription updates in my email. You can only make calls to people in your Grandcentral address book. Feel free to add anyone in your address book since there seems to be no limit on the number of entries you can have there. Anyway, you have to make phone calls using grandcentral's web interface. Do it from your PC (http://www.grandcentral.com) or from your Treo (http://m.grandcentral.com). Grandcentral gives you a $3 calling allowance. When your allowance runs out, it gets refilled automatically...FREE. Grandcentral was recently acquired by Google. This being the case, I'm thinking even when the beta period ends, their service will remain free.
    Can anyone tell me if this works well for 1X instead of EVDO. Also how do you keep the network connection 'alive' it seems to disconnect after a while.

Too bad grandcentral does not exist in Canada yet.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
  9.    #29  
    I just found another "real world" application of this VoIP for the Treo. I will be going on a business trip where I only have Internet access. There's no Sprint coverage in that country as the country only has GSM networks. I installed Softick PPP in my Bluetooth equipped laptop...so now, I can make and receive calls on my Treo via reverse DUN over Bluetooth. Granted...I could also just use my laptop and install a program like X-Lite (Gismo Project's Windows client doesn't work on my laptop for some reason)...but what's the fun in that?! Instead of using Softick PPP, you can also try using MochaPPP (doesn't support Bluetooth though, only USB) or m-Router...both are freeware. I didn't try MochaPPP, I couldn't get Articulation to work with m-Router...I believe because of NAT compatibility. Softick PPP worked flawlessly.

Also, for those of you who're not able to receive calls, make sure that you're using STUN in Articulation. Here are the STUN servers I've got configured:

1) Go to Options
    2) Click on NAT
    3) On Method, choose Use STUN
    4) On Server 1, put stun.fwdnet.net
    5) On Server 2, put stun01.sipphone.com

This will allow you to send/receive calls via your Treo's data plan or via your reverse DUN connection. Remember...to make free calls, use grandcentral.com to "bridge" you and the person you want to call.

The other night I accidentally left Articulation turned on in background mode, to my surprise, the next morning, I had over 75% left in battery life. I know that Articulation stayed connected overnight cuz someone had called me in the morning and Articulation rang my Treo just fine.
    Alpineman,

I have your setup duplicated. Can rx calls fine, and through web site can make calls too. The problem for me seems to be the called party can not hear me well; really choppy, etc... I can seem to hear them fine most of the time; with small bits of static. They can not hear me. Any settings / ideas?

Sco
  11.    #31  
    They can't hear you well or they can't hear you at all? If they can't hear you well, perhaps it's your treo's Internet bandwidth issue. If they can't hear you at all, perhaps it's a STUN server issue. Make sure you use STUN and use the servers I posted above.
    I am very choppy and sometimes unintelligible on their end. They seem to be ok coming into my phone. If it's a bandwidth issue it's steady; and by that I mean not useable.

Just checked the STUN settings. They came that way by default. I didn't need to change them.

Not sure what the problem is but as is now it's not a functional setup. Nice way to do it if the technology / setup improve in the future though!
    [edit: Gizmo app for treo doesn't do calls with data. Pls ignore my question]
    Why not use the Gizmo client instead of Articulation ? I just got Gizmo set up on my laptop and got the Gizmo client installed on my treo, so I have yet to test everything out, but why not use the Gizmo project client? It's free and for the $35-$40 I'd pay for Articulation, that would be a heck of a lot of calls...
    Last edited by jweinshe; 01/07/2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Gizmo app doesn't use data for calls
    Did anyone get this to work on a Centro? When I try to answer an incoming call (from GrandCentral->Gizmo) the Centro crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
    Did anyone get this to work on a Centro? When I try to answer an incoming call (from GrandCentral->Gizmo) the Centro crashes.
    Yea, I got this to work on the Centro. No crashes (well after writing this, it crashed while trying t use it on the train)
    Last edited by nubian; 01/26/2008 at 03:56 AM.
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

Jonn Nubian/First Generation Urban/Brown Eyed Intelligence

My sites mobile formatted for the Treo
    here
  16.    #36  
    I'm currently in Barbados on a business trip. This Gizmo/GrandCentral combo saved me lots of bucks!!! I've made a few hours worth of outgoing calls and a few hours worth of incoming calls all for free to/from the US. I'm a happy man.

My laptop has WiFi and Bluetooth. So I have my Treo PPP into my laptop (ie. reverse DUN) and I'm able to make/receive calls via Articulation/GrandCentral.

Ofcourse I can also do this without the Treo by using the Gizmo client on my laptop alone...but there's no challenge in that.
    Alpineman, I want to thank you so much for suggesting this. I just set it up on my centro and so far, so good.
    This is going to save me more money than Geico
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

Jonn Nubian/First Generation Urban/Brown Eyed Intelligence

My sites mobile formatted for the Treo
    here
  18.    #38  
    Glad this is helping others!
    I'm wondering if running Chatteremail (in the background) causes a problem. After I get the kids off to bed, I'll try this again. Would be nice to get this working as I only have a data plan on my Centro, voice is expensive.

One other question while I think of it, using Articulation, can you answer calls through, and using bluetooth?
    I checked this one out and I find that the SIPphone (which is the Gizmo project) now charges for both outgoing and incoming calls. Its free for gizmo to gizmo users (or SIPphone to SIPphone).

Calls to other network in the US cost 1.9c a min. That's still cheaper than paying extra cell minute charges.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast