Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use Palm Desktop 4.01 with Handspring VDX?
    Thx
    Mike
    To sync or not to sync...
    That is not the question!
    Palm Desktop 4.01 should work. But I don't think it is supported by Handspring yet. If you run into problems, you are on your own (may get some help on this borad though).
    See post below couldn't delete.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 05/09/2001 at 11:38 PM.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I've been using 4.01 quite successfully with my Platinum almost since it came out. It's a good deal more aesthetically pleasing than the 3.1 desktop, and now I can finally do something with those vCard attachments I keep getting. Most of them still end up getting trashed, but for the ones from people I know, all I need to do is associate them to with Desktop 4.01, and with a simple doubleclick, all the info is imported into the address book.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    imabug
    Do you use Avantgo? I heard there was a problem with it and 4.01
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    What to do if your Hot Sync Manager is version 3.1? Will Desktop 4.1 work? I have USB connection, also.

Thanks,

Barb
    From Handspring's Web Page:

"If you are having problems performing a HotSync operation using a USB cradle, check the following:

Perform a soft reset on your handheld device. Use the tip of a paper clip or similar object without a sharp tip to gently press the reset button inside the hole on the back panel of your handheld. The hole is labeled "Reset". You will not lose any data. If the device still doesn't HotSync, continue with the solutions below.

Make sure that the HotSync Manager is running. Check for the HotSync icon in your Windows system tray (usually located in the lower right corner of your Windows desktop). It can be minimized on the screen (or in the background), but it must be running.

Confirm that you have the Handspring version of the HotSync Manager installed. Click on the HotSync icon in the Windows system tray and click the About option. The version of HotSync Manager should be 3.0.2H, 3.0.2Hb or 3.1.0H."

From Palm Web Page:

Please note:

"Palm Desktop 4.0.1 installer only supports handhelds from Palm, Inc.
    French, German, Italian, and Spanish versions of Palm Desktop Software 4.0.1 will be available soon."

Well, I'm not certain what the difference is but they are very specific in their version of HotSync manager so I'd be certain to have the original disk around before trying because in retrospect - it probably won't work. See below:

Here is a thread that has a work around:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=10823

Also an article dated 3/15/2001 from staff:

http://www.visorcentral.com/page/0-2-913-2.htm
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 05/09/2001 at 11:49 PM.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    imabug--I've been getting those vCard attachments lately too, but never really understood what they were. How do you associate them w/ your desktop software? Can Visor users create them as attachments also, or is it only a Palm thing? I don't do e-mail at all on my handheld since my server won't allow it--not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks.
    Originally posted by j762538
    imabug
    Do you use Avantgo? I heard there was a problem with it and 4.01
    I occasionally have problems with HotSynch timing out while Avant go is checking on channels. Most of the time it happens while I'm on my slower dialup connection at home. When I'm synching at work (LAN connection), I usually don't have any problems with synching.
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    Originally posted by Barb
    What to do if your Hot Sync Manager is version 3.1? Will Desktop 4.1 work? I have USB connection, also.

Thanks,

Barb
    Desktop 4.0.1 installation installs a new hotsync manager (4.0) which works fine over USB with my Platinum.
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE

Well, I'm not certain what the difference is but they are very specific in their version of HotSync manager so I'd be certain to have the original disk around before trying because in retrospect - it probably won't work. See below:

Here is a thread that has a work around:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=10823
    This thread only applies to Desktop 4.0, which only supported serial synching. The workaround was to reinstall the Handspring Hotsync after installing Desktop 4.0 to get USB synching back. WIth Desktop 4.0.1, USB hotsynching is supported, so the workaround is no longer necessary.

And as I've said before, Palm may say that Desktop 4.0.1 is only supported for Palm devices, but it works with my Visor.
    Originally posted by lpas304
    imabug--I've been getting those vCard attachments lately too, but never really understood what they were. How do you associate them w/ your desktop software? Can Visor users create them as attachments also, or is it only a Palm thing? I don't do e-mail at all on my handheld since my server won't allow it--not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks.
    Part of the Desktop 4.0.x installation (at the end I think) asks if you wish to associate *.vcf files with Palm Desktop. If you don't do it there, just go to Palm Desktop/Options and in the General tab, check the "At startup check to see if Palm Desktop is the default handler" in the vCard/vCal File Association area.

I think the vCard/vCal attachments get stuck in there by outlook or some such email program. Signature type of things I guess. Most of the time I find them annoying because the litter up my Eudora attachments directory. Sometimes they can be useful though. Provides a quick way of getting someone's contact info into your PDA.
    Palm Desktop 4.0.1 works fine with my Vdx. But only after running Handspring's "Visor USB Reg Clean" utility.
    "Palm Desktop 4.0.1 works fine with my Vdx. But only after running Handspring's "Visor USB Reg Clean" utility."

Could you please tell me is the Visor USB Reg Clean utility included in the Handspring software or do you have to download it from somewhere?

Thanks,

Barb
    http://www.handspring.com/support/ts...gutility.jhtml

Link to USB utility location at Handspring.
    Moose Man
    Thanks, Moose! Will do that. Have you upgraded yet?

Barb
    What's so special about the Palm Desktop 4.01 with notepad?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Barb,

Yes and no. I use Outlook and since I'm a now a Palm M505 user it came on the installation disk.

mikedemo,

The interface is much improved. Read back through the thread for links to various other discussion and help in upgrading. The improvements now almost make the program useable in place of Outlook for scheduling, todo management and more importantly for distributing printed copies of schedules etc and the ability with notepad to print your notes. Can be handy.

As a former Palm beta tester from day one, late 95 - I had always been complaining about the lack of useability of the desktop portion of the software. Version 4.0 is now a good program compared to previous versions IMHO.
    Moose Man
    I hadn't noticed the USB Registry Repair Tool. But since this tool seems to address the enumeration of the USB cardle, I'm not sure if it addresses the sync timeout issue that I (and others) have been experiencing.
    With Palm Desktop 4.01, when a timeout event occurs during a sync, (frequently, but no exclusively, with AvantGo), the Visor reports that the connection has been lost. Apparently the PC is dropping the connection, whereas this had not been happening, certainly with this frequency, with the PD 3 s/w.
    While I am very eager to use the enhanced PD 4, I've tried it already two times (before and after updgrading to AvantGo 4) and am weary of trying again, until I am certain this has been addressed.
    I can't get to the link right now but in the support area of the Handspring web page it does state that Desktop 4.0(1?) is not supported and the same holds true for the new Mac OS.

I'm not sure why the Handspring is down or too busy but I believe the link was posted on page 1 in one of my other posts.

It appears though that enough people have successfully upgraded using the work around and patches that are available.

Good luck with the timeout issue regardless.
    Moose Man
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast