Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just installed 4.0.1 over my 4.0 and didn't have to reinstall the Hanspring version of Hotsync Manager. Apparently Palm is finally supporting USB out the box now. It's about time.

My Visor Prism happily Syncs with 4.0.1.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 05/11/2001 at 03:45 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I am happily running Desktop version 4.0 with my Prism (I did the workaround to get USB syncing). What are the changes in 4.01? Is it worth upgrading, with the chance that it will mess something up?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    There are two versions of 4.0.1. One for M100 and M500 and one for everything else. What is the difference and which one do I want?
    Howard
    dougef
    4.0.1 support USB natively. You don't need to do the work around.

hloakes

Get the 4.0.1 For use with Palm™ Pilot, Palm™ III series, Palm™ V series, and Palm™ VII series handhelds.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Did anyone else see the sidebar (actually more like bottom-bar) in Yahoo magazine telling Palm and Handspring users to download Palm Desktop 4.0 from www.palm.com?

I thought this was strange, especially since this news item is in the Handspring Support pages:
    (http://www.handspring.com/support/su...pat_news.jhtml)

"Palm™ Desktop software version 4.0.1 for Windows
    Palm Inc. released Palm™ Desktop software version 4.0.1 for Windows this week.
    Palm added USB synchronization support to this version but Palm only supports this for use with Palm handheld devices. Handspring is evaluating this version of Palm Desktop for use with Visor handhelds but we currently do not support the use of Palm Desktop 4.0.1 with Visor handhelds.

If you have already installed Palm Desktop 4.0.1 and are experiencing synchronization problems, we recommend that you uninstall Palm Desktop 4.0.1 before you (re-)install the Handspring version of Palm Desktop software. "
    Thanks, everyone! I just downloaded 4.0.1 & it worked! I did my first Hot Sync with my Prism & all is well. It's much nicer to look at than the version that came from Handspring.

No "work around" needed with this version!

Barb
    now, I'm off to find out why people install 4.0 desktop instead of using Outlook....

1-maybe they don't have outlook
    2-maybe they like outlook
    3-is this just anti-Bill?

I never really took notice of anti-bill except to support Netscape until the very end(now use ie 5.5) for competitive reasons and print preview function...but now with Bill forcing upgrades to Office 97 & 2000 by Oct 1, 2001-- my gander is WAY up...I'm even looking at StarOffice(good&plenty&free)

a poster said W/desktop 4.0(and 4.01)you now can print notepad. But, you can also print notepad(called notes) in outlook.
    Maybe they meant, vs. no printing in desktop 3.0

g.
    --w/my trusty backup mod & GoBack installed on my PC, I am SuperExperimenter--now where did I put my life UNDO mod?
    Originally posted by gbgood
    now, I'm off to find out why people install 4.0 desktop instead of using Outlook....

Nope -- I have (had) Outlook 2000, and had used Outlook for several years. Dumped it off my home PC last year for Palm Desktop (and, of course, my Visor (and Datebk4, God Bless CESD)). Very simple reasons:

1) Palm desktop was much simpler to use than Outlook -- has a clean interface, and is very intuitive to me. Outlook is a lot of things, but intuitive isn't one of them.

2) Outlook was massive overkill for me, feature-wise -- and the UI changed signicantly and without benefit with each new version.

3) Matching Outlook fields to Visor fields in Address Book was a pain.

4) Cost of new versions of Outlook (either stand-alone or with Office) were $150-$300 a pop. Palm Desktop is free.

---
    As to whether I'm Anti-Bill: yes. I've written MFC applications for Windows for 10 years, and I use a Windows NT PC at both home and work. You have to work with Microsoft tools, products and (Ha! Ha!) support services for a long time to truly loathe them.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    a poster said W/desktop 4.0(and 4.01)you now can print notepad. But, you can also print notepad(called notes) in outlook.
    Maybe they meant, vs. no printing in desktop 3.0

g.
    SuperExperimenter--now where did I put my life UNDO mod?
    The new notepad application contained on the M100 and M500 series units doesn't sync to Outlook. It syncs to a new program contained in the Palm Desktop called NotePad. The notes that will sync to Outlook are attached notes that are either contained on the Palm Datebook, Address Book and or ToDo programs. These will sync to Outlook.

The notepad application is a standalone program that allows the user to view the notes and with a little manipulation to a program that can print grahics (not native to PalmDesktop) print them out by cut, copy and paste.

Just to be clear.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I never really took notice of anti-bill except to support Netscape until the very end(now use ie 5.5) for competitive reasons and print preview function...but now with Bill forcing upgrades to Office 97 & 2000 by Oct 1, 2001-- my gander is WAY up...I'm even looking at StarOffice(good&plenty&free)
    I'm usually not in the habit of defending MS but let's get a little accuracy in here...

If I read the press reports correctly, one can only consider it to be a "forced" upgrade if:

1 - You're a business or corporate volume customer;
    2 - The business is purchased multiple licenses via the older MS enterprise license contracts;
    3 - And the business always need to upgrade to the latest version of MS products the moment it is available.

And anyone whose worked in a company who's IT department does #3 for the heck of it probably has an inept IT department.

Seems to me that a company can chose to pay now or pay later. Or stick with Office 97/2000. No forcing there. If there is, I might have missed it-- if so, can you point me to the actual clauses/words/paragraphs? I've seen the Gartner analyst comments saying MS is "forcing" companies into upgrading but then they say they can pay full price if they wait later. What kind of talk is that?

And if you thought this also applied to consumers (y'know, the you and me's that walk into Fry's and the like and buy software for our home computers), I'd to know where in the various sources you read this.

To get this back on track after my soapbox :-) ...

Depending on the situation, I may use both Palm Desktop and Outlook side by side. One case was at work where, because of the version of PocketMirror I was using, I didn't want to have my Visor's Datebook information stored on the Exchange Server for all to see.

Subsequent versions of PM resolved that issue but it also meant I had to have a local PST file if I want to keep my scheduling info off the server. Well, I figured if I have to use another file, I might as well use the Palm Desktop if I didn't want to partake in Outlook's group scheduling features.

In another case at another job, I used the Palm Desktop and Outlook side by side not because of personal info on the server issue (PM 3.0 Pro solved that), it was more of a "How can I clean up my desktop computer in minutes if I get pink slipped in a few minutes?" With my Visor's stuff in the Palm Desktop, a well-executed batch file gets me out in seconds. In Outlook, I have to use the program to weed out my stuff.

At home, my Visor's PIM data is in Outlook and I never use the Palm Desktop. I use Outlook's PIM, scheduling and E-Mail features more often at home than I do at the office-- i.e. Outlook is up 'n running from computer on to computer off and it is my primary application... just like how the MS marketing folks pitch it. However, I have to add that my "computing mode" is much different at home than at the office.
    Originally posted by ProjectZero

Seems to me that a company can chose to pay now or pay later. Or stick with Office 97/2000. No forcing there. If there is, I might have missed it-- if so, can you point me to the actual clauses/words/paragraphs? I've seen the Gartner analyst comments saying MS is "forcing" companies into upgrading but then they say they can pay full price if they wait later.
    I think the "forcing" that people are referring to is the fact that you only have until October 1 (as a volume license) to get the upgrade price. After that, they have to pay full price (which is a significant jump in cost) That is going to throw a lot of budgets out of whack. Basically, Microsoft is trying to cram 2 years (normal corporate adoption rate) worth of upgrade revenue into 4 months with almost no warning. David Coursey does some pretty good coverage on it here and here.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Honorable Project Z-
    I appreciate ALL of your insights.
    It seems to me that "M/S advance upgrade" might be a new business model. I just read something on zdnet? saying that Mcafee is going to the same idea.

Personally, I don't like to run out and immediately upgrade, I have been burned by this (see my signature).

Alternately, I don't just run but actually trip over myself to try out the newest and latest (see my signature).

Microsoft has a history of releasing buggy s/w. I wish to wait, maybe for a long time. However, then you get the old office 95/97 debacle. You might remember, some files open...some don't. That's a 'forced' upgrade to me.

Maybe that's enough of that...

Onto your Outlook/Palm Desktop info:

I like your idea of using the best of both. The Pm 3.0, is that an upgrade add-on or does it come with the Palm Desktop? I was unable to view my PM version using the 'information' option on my Vpr.

I have wondered how to protect my privacy at work also, as I could easily hook up my travel sync cable there. I have considered using PGP for folder security as Outlook does not seem to have a password setup capability but it looks like you found a solution. Could you explain your solution in detail.

Thanks
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    Re: PocketMirror

Nearly all Palm devices since the Palm III and all Handspring devices ship with PocketMirror 2.x on the installation CD (there are some exceptions... see here for a listing).

The upgrade to version 3.0 Standard for all PM 2.x users, including Palm users who received it on their installation CDs, is available from Chapura (and there's also a link to it from the Handspring support page. It's over here on the Chapura page).

In early installation CDs, you had to separately install PocketMirror; in later installation CDs, it was intergrated in the Palm Desktop setup EXE (if you saw an option to select between the Palm Desktop and Outlook, that option fired up the PM setup). Of course, you can always install PocketMirro from the CD after the fact by looking for the PocketMirror directory (the directory may also be called PM, Outlook Conduits or even something else!).

Re: Privacy at work

Did you mean privacy (as in protecting your data/identity so that no one can become a doppleganger) or did you want to include security/access in the mix? I can write a report on this (and have done so!)...

Let me just touch on a couple of items on both sides and if you want further opinions, I can write 'em out on a subsequent posting.

Privacy-- as in protecting your data/identity

Using PGP to encrypt your local PST file is not a bad idea-- but you won't be able to encrypt the individual folders or a select content within the folder. At least that last time I looked at the NAI PGP offering--- it only offers outgoing encrypt/sign on an E-Mail (the traditional uses of PGP). If there's third party app for Outlook that can do that on the fly without having me to fire up a shell to unlock the file, pass me the URL!

Other measures to protecting your identity/privacy on the web (and even in an intranet enviornment) is if your company allows you to run and install non-coporate-approved apps, go get:

- ZoneAlarm (www.zonealarm.com)
    - CookieWall (www.analogx.com)
    - Ad-Aware (www.lavesoft.de)

You might have heard of the above (or may be using them!). But for those who haven't...

ZoneAlarm is a software-based fireware.. see who's pinging you while you're online and prevent them from accessing key IP ports.

CookieWall allows you to save or delete a particular cookie. More importantly, if you mark a cookie as unwelcomed, CookieWall will not allow what process to create that cookie on your system in future web visits.

Ad-Aware allows you delete known advertiser-based cookies. Like virus scanners, you have to get updates from the lavasoft.de web site periodically.

And of course, the usual privacy checklists apply while on the internet (see here for a partial list).

Privacy-- as in "I don't want anyone to get to my personal data".

I'm a big proponent of securing sensitive information at the "front door", so to speak. I used to interact with internal auditors (not the accounting types, but the IT types that love to poke holes in your infrastructures) and learned a different slant on security.

You could spend oodles of money on software and utilities to protect the bits on the disk. Or use what you already have to protect your data. In either case, f someone can get physical or electronic access to start hacking away at the security measures, it'll be a matter of time where your data will be compromised.

My Reader's Digest answer to this is:

If you cannot keep your personal data off the corporate server or local hard drive, then you need to insure no one can get access to it without your knowledge.

Broad statement, I know. Elaboration of this will take a good deal of posting real estate... so if you or anyone else wants to read about, I won't brain dump on you unless you're interested (and I'll take it to the Off-Topic section for all to read as limiting this to private mail doesn't do anyone good and there is more than one way to secure your data. My opnions aren't the only ones :-)
    ProjectZero-
    Unless someone objects, I am very interested in the Privacy-as in personal data information.

I'll bet there are others out there, who would like the option of desktop syncing @work for schedules, notes, etc. and like me just don't want it to be open to all.

If a PM 3.0 install solves that (with password?), I will try it. But it sounds like you have a better solution??

I have not read of a solution until yours so I'm all ears, as they say....
    For your uses with Outlook, PocketMirror 3.0 Professional should do the trick. You'll need to do a couple of things first and then be aware of a few more things (i.e. limitations).

To-do

In order for you to sync your Visor's PIM data to an Outlook message store that cannot be accessable by the Exchange Server (or other Outlook users performing a free time search), you'll need to:

1 - Create a PST file (aka Personal Folders) and then create the individual Outlook Items (Contacts, Calendar, etc.) to support the built-in apps of your Visor.

2 - Password protect the file. In Outlook, right click on the Personal Folder name. A tabbed dialog box should appear-- look for the "Advanced" button and click it. You should then see the "Password" button.

3 - Use PocketMirror 3.0 Professional. Only the Pro version supports sync'ing to a different Outlook file (Chapura and MS will interchangably call it "Personal Folders", PST, "store").

When you install PM 3.0 Pro, I believe that at setup, it will ask you which folder location to sync to. Pay attention to that-- I believe by default PM will look to your Exchange Server (actually, the pointers from your Outlook/MAPI profile) to establish the default folder locations. You'll need to change this to point to the folder location of your PST file.

..and when PM says "folder location", what they mean is the individual item name within your PST file, i.e. Contacts, Calendar, Inbox, etc.

More information on creating a PST file and setting a password in your PST file can be found on the Microsoft support site (in the Knowledge Base, search on PST and Password). And the Chapura site has a number of technotes on configuration... and the manual is available for download if you want to read before purchasing.

The gotcha's

Once you've gotten the installation and configuration steps out of the way, there are a few things you need to be aware of:

- Whenever you launch or access Outlook, you will be prompted for your PST password. The dialog box show won't be too helpful (but then again, you really don't want it to advertise that your PST file is password protected). If you have also configured Outlook to prompt you for your mail password, you'll get that prompt, too. So, the indirect tip here is to make PST password different than your mail password.

Once you've entered in the password(s), you won't be prompted again until you restart Outlook. Indirect Tip 2: If you leave your desk for any amount of time, close Outlook.

Now, since accessing Outlook will now prompt you for a password, you'll get that same password prompt when you initiate a HotSync with PocketMirror... but only when Outlook is not running. Indirect Tip 3: After you pressed the HotSync button, don't immediately turn your head and walk away. If Outlook isn't up, the password prompt will appear and sit there until you do something (and your HotSync Manager and Visor will also sit there spinning battery juice away...)

All of this does not address your Visor's Backup directory, where you may potentially have sensitive data (i.e. if you're using a Palm app to store your passwords, account numbers, etc.-- that's probably being backed up from your Visor to your hard drive). However, one would need the corresponding Palm application to view it. But-- it is accessible (i.e. copy to floppy...)

It's not foolproof, but this setup should take care of the causal lookie-loos from looking in to the built-in app's data. For the Visor's backup directory and/or if you place your PST file on the local hard drive then you'll need to address physical access...

...as there are utilities out there to clear out a PST password and other stuff So, you need to shore up how people cannot get to your personal data.

- If you're in the habit of leaving your computer on overnight, I'd turn it off. Even if your computer is in an office room with a key lock, ask who has the keys? If it's any one other than you, turn your computer off.

- It's even worse if you left your computer on and logged in overnight.

- How long is your login password? And how random is it? Sure, if you've locked up the front door so that no one can get to your keyboard, this might not much of an issue. But that cannot be an excuse to have an easily guessed password.

- And, if you're using a utility to automagically log you into your workstation(s), may I suggest that you go back to hand entering the password.

- At the WinOS level, avoid having to share the directory where your personal files are located. If you do have to share a directory, password protect it and limit who has access to it.

- Never walk away from your desk with anything of importance visible on the screen. Although the Windows password schemes have been maligned over the years, just like the Club, it servers as enough of a deterrant to prevent someone from crusing away on your desktop while you're in that hour-long meeting. If you want, you can invest in more industrial-strength options to protect your workstation while it's on and you're temporarily away. But having such measures is no excuse to leave the PC on overnight or over the weekend.

- At the hardware level, if your PC's BIOS supports it, password protect the hardware at power up... sometimes called "Power On Password"-- and make sure you know how to override it before you enable this (not only to CYA in case you FUBAR the password but to see how one can get your computer to boot if they know what they're doing). You might also want to see what are the limits of BIOS password protecting your PC-- some power-on password schemes can be circumvented by just inserting a bootable floppy disk.

After that, it'll be pure theft. In many companies, hard drives have been known to walk out of a computer and out of the building. If it's physically gone, the mere fact that it's no longer in your posession will raise the concern of who has it can break the cyphers.

Of course, one internal auditing report I saw was a recommendation to have employees not store any of their personal information anywhere on the corporate computing environment (server and workstation). We couldn't implement this without backlash :-)
    Capt. ProjectZero,
    I have printed the information and will implement it Monday@work.
    I think this will do the trick for me. I appreciate the time and effort that you put into your answer.

In return, I would like to offer you my most unworthy gifts:
    1. First-born son to teach longboard surfing if you come to SoCal.
    2. World's best 2 ingredient recipe-(1) hunk of tri-tip beef (2) cans Herdez Salsa,or comparable w/chopped onions,tomatoes,peppers,cilantro.
    *Open can#1, pour in crockpot
    *place beef in crockpot, brown first(optional)
    *Open can#2, pour in crockpot
    *go play tennis
    *post to VC
    ALL DONE-shred beef in own sauce,serve w/tortillas,cheese, & of course cerveca
    3. The best scrabble words: QAT ADZ XI
    4. Best vacation spot(w/o kids)=Bali
    Giant Bintang beer for $.22, gourmet dinner $6 for 2 w/beer, 84* water, friendly people,incredible natural beauty.
    5. good deal website= www.techbargains.com

-thank you
    While using Palm Desktop 4.0.1 my Visor DLX would often time out during a sync. Especially if there were several emails to sync. I decided it was not worth the effort and uninstalled this desktop version. I reinstalled Handspring's version 3.1. Now my Visor will not hot sync. Windows keeps asking for the installation CD for a file named palmusbd.sys. But it cannot find this file on the CD. I ran Handspring's USB Reg Clean to no avail. Does anyone have an answer for me? I just want my pre-4.0.1 life back!
    I'll suggest an "easy" way first... it always worked for me (the "complicated" way involves hacking the registry).

When you uninstalled Palm Desktop 4.0.1, I am presuming that you used the "Add/Remove.." applet in your Control Panel.

But I'm also presuming is that you left your Palm (or Handspring) directory alone... so that you could keep your Address Book, Date Book, To-Do and MemoPad information intact. If that's the case, do the following:

Easy Way, Part I

1) Uninstall the Palm Desktop again (yes, eventhough you now have a 3.1 version installed).

2) After the uninstallation is complete, you must reboot your computer (yes, although the routine doesn't tell you to reboot, watch your monitor when you reboot-- if you see that Windows or Setup is "modifying" some files, your uninstallation would never be complete if you didn't reboot.

3) After your computer has rebooted, go to your Palm/Handspring directory. Your Visor's built-in app's data files should still be there. Now, in the root of the Palm/Handspring directory, look for a file named "sync.ini". If you see that file, rename it to something entirely different-- say-- backsyncini.bak, so that the installer won't find it. Or move the file out. If you want to delete it, that's fine, too. But, if for some reason you need that file again, I'd make a copy of it before deleting it.

4) Once the sync.ini file has been renamed or moved out, install the Handspring version of Palm Desktop 3.1 and follow the prompts.

Easy Way, Part II

If the above doesn't work, do steps 1 through 2 again, but on #3, instead of looking for and renaming sync.ini, rename the Palm/Handspring directory name. For example, if the directory path is: C:\Program Files\Palm, rename it to C:\Program Files\PalmBack1. What we're doing here is "backing" up your Visor's data files and we don't want the installation to know about your original files without blowing it away.

Then on #4, install the Handspring version of Palm Desktop 3.1 and make sure you use a different path for the location of the file-- different than the default, and different than the directory name you gave when you renamed your original Palm/Handspring directory name (in other words, you're going to force the installation to create a new directory).

Once the installation is complete, you can copy the Backup, Address, Datebook, expense, Mail, memopad, and todo directories (and their contents) to the new directory to get your built-in app's data back.

These Part II steps forces the installation to rewrite the registry entries instead of just looking and accepting any old registry entries (which my Part I steps might do). Lays down a new set of entries without keeping the original entries.

Note: If you do my Part II steps, any third party conduits you've installed (AvantGo, FireViewer, Secret, etc.) will "go away"... you will have to perform the installation for those products again.

Now, if all of the above doesn't work, let us all know and we can go into the details of mucking up the registry....
    Thanks for the attempt. Easy Ways I and II did not resolve my problem. I used Norton CleanSweep to uninstall 4.0.1. It is very thorough. It also removed all the app folders. It tries to remove all traces of a program. They are backed up before uninstall is completed and I can retrieve them later. I uninstalled and rebooted. I did a search on my hard drive for a file named sync.ini. Not found. I installed 3.1 in a directory I created (C:\ProgramFiles\Visor) as your suggestion about forcing new registry entries made sense. I still get the same error message when attempting to sync. Windows cannot find PalmUSBD.sys. No file so named exists on my hard drive or installation CD. I am too the point of considering a hard drive reformat. I've been there, done that before. I sure would like to avoid so drastic a measure. I would appreciate any additional suggestions.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast