Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had a treo 700p for over a year now and installed the MR, i am still having my issues that we are all aware of. Sprint offered me the 755 for $179, i can sell my treo 700p on ebay for at least that price so it would be a clean wash. Not sure if it is worth doing though, number 1 is that it will reset my phone upgrade time, who knows when the updated linux treo is coming out....?

things that i gathered about the treo 755, the physical form factor is def better, smoother edges, no antenna, slightly lighter, grippy feel

cons of the treo 755:
    plastic stylus
    smaller battery
    no reset button
    limited micro SD card size , only up to 4gb

there is also mixed reviews and i think the overall rating is that there is not much difference internally over the 700p post MR and 755....?

if i decided to go with the 755, i would have to buy a 4gb micro card, currently using transcend 150x 4gb SD card.. not even sure which micro card will be compatible to that so i can assure that my tomtom would work good ...

u also receive less talk time on the treo 755 and all my form fitting cases would not fit anymore

what to do, what to do

maybe people who have had the treo 700p and transferred to the 755 could shed some light
    I would not lose sleep over the syli, it is just fine as is. Having to take the battery out to reset, is not a biggie either. I have never went over a meg on any card, but that may not be your case. The battery does not last as long, that is true. The TreoLinux has already been pushed into next year, from this fall. I believe it will be a year before it even comes out. Seems like spring is when the cdma treos come out. But, all I can tell you is don't sweat the Syli, or the reset button.
    Matty
    go for it.
    I just replace my 700P with a 755P and it is for sure better.
    I was having all kinds of network issues, dropped calls and so on after the MR update and I switched 3 days ago and wouldnt go back.
    So far it works great, better than the 700P (2 of them) I had previous.
    This phone has to be more different that a 700P with the ROM update already on it.
    I really didnt care at first about the form factor changes, no antenna and a little bit smaller overall but I tell you this is the best treo form factor I have used. It is only slightly different but I really like the subtle changes that it has.
    I couldnt get sprint to give me a deal and I have been with them for years. So I bought one off ebay and am selling my 700P.
    I would take that offer and run
    I forgot the form factor, less weight, more comfortable in one hand. Looks smaller, just get the thing. You won't look back.....
    Matty
    The 755P and 700P aren't too different. I'd save your upgrade discount for whatever Treo comes next. Oh and the 755P uses mini-SD cards not micro-SD. By the time the next Treo is out they'll have 8GB mini and micro SD cards out.
    The 755p has a stock 1600 mAh, the 700P a stock 1800 mAh battery. My battery usage has been very close . . . I believe they tweaked the 755's power usage.

No lags or resets thus far with the 755.

I had 2 different 4GB mini's that stopped functioning and went back. I went to using two 2GB minis, one for my main usage and one for music and movies. This set up has worked well.

Try to negotiate -- tell them you will take the offer -- but no reset of your contract . . . since it is the 700 that is the problem - a replacement for the 700 should not have to reset your contract. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I also like the 755p more than the 700p. Although minor changes (thinner, no antenna, rubber casing) they really make a world of difference. I agree with the posted that says not to sweat the stylus or reset button. I rarely use the stylus anyway and it is not so bad. I don't need to reset my device so much so the one extra step of taking out the battery is not such a big deal (even on the 700p we had to open the battery door). I also use mreset for those occassional times I see things slowing down and want a fresh start.

As for the battery capacity, that is one issue. I had the seidio extended battery on the 700p and there IS a difference. I will probably soon pony up the $60 for the extended 755p battery but am usually at a desk so keeping it charged is not hard.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  8.    #8  
    Has anyone else besides perry bought mini SD card? I run tomtom from my transcend 4gb 150x card and just want to make sure i can find a fast mini card as well that will run nice with tomtom, i hope the 755 plays nice with tomtom

i hear what u guys are saying with taking off the battery cover not being that much of a big deal, i would only think that it becomes a big deal when u have a form fitting case on and u have to take everything off, right now i have the rubberized seidio case on my treo 700p and the battery cover with reset whole, so its a simple press with the styli when it freezes

thats a good idea to see if they will not reset my contract but i think that is one main thing that they push for in order to give me the phone for what they are giving it to me for, and being that my phone is out of warranty there is not much to play with....

i am thinking that the new palmlinux phone when it comes out in about a year will be released with bugs and there prob wont be any programs for it yet, so it would be good to pick up the phone after its been out for a year, cheaper and more software and acessories and hopefully bugs worked out, by that time my new 2 yr contract should be up, lol

i wish the phone took reg SD card, that way i can place it in new phone and resco restore and all done, not start from scratch, i dont think if i copy files from sd card to minicard and resco backup it would work ok
    This may shock some, but I was happy with the 700 :0

With the 755, I am happier.

I thought about keeping my 700 as a spare, but honestly, I don't think its a comparable spare.

Get the 755, you won't regret it.
    I too was another one that went from the 700 to a 755 (for free through Sprint?!?) and have been somewhat pleased. My bluetooth was useless before and after the MR - I had to reset basically daily if I wanted to use it, I had a lot of resets with it at first and then it settled down somewhat and after I rooted out some third party apps.
    The 755 has been better as far as bluetooth pairing and then re-pairing if it drops the connection. I have had 3 resets since the middle of May and am not really sure of the cause, but that is less than with the 700.
    I had a small SD card and now have a 1 g mini-SD so memory has never been an issue. I have 3 ipods so I don't put music or videos on there other than what I shoot with the camera (which also seems a bit better in low light and less yellow than the 700). I hardly use the stylus - it is flimsier and not as pretty or hefty as the 700 stylus but not really an issue. I still make it through the day with the stock battery but don't do anything like ptunes or stream audio or stuff like that. I would eventually like to get the Seidio battery that still allows you to use the stock door cover.
    I had several cases for the 700 (and a couple still work as they were universal) that I had to put on ebay that were 700 specific.
    I am glad I did it, but then again I guess I was lucky as Sprint offered the replacement for free and did not reset my contract. I did not really do anything out of the ordinary to get that offer so I just lucked out.
    Italiangspot,
    Being firm, polite, and straight to the point of the issues I was having with the 700p ultimately yielded a free replacement from the 700p to the 755p and they also gave me a $15 credit to slightly offset the cost of replacing my standard SD card with a miniSD.

FYI: Fry's Electronics is having a promo on a 2GB miniSD card from Patriot for $19.99. Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of that card? Check out the website: Fry's Ads
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by redline122 View Post
    Italiangspot,
    Being firm, polite, and straight to the point of the issues I was having with the 700p ultimately yielded a free replacement from the 700p to the 755p and they also gave me a $15 credit to slightly offset the cost of replacing my standard SD card with a miniSD.

FYI: Fry's Electronics is having a promo on a 2GB miniSD card from Patriot for $19.99. Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of that card? Check out the website: Fry's Ads
    were u out of your year warranty when they offerred you the swap? i feel if they give me the 755 for under 200 then i am good being that i can sell treo 700p on ebay for atleast that.....

mini SD, i had a patriot SDHC 8gb card and always had trble with treo 700p recognizing it all the time, i also had the hack installed, not sure if it was a patriot issue or SDHC phone issue....?

are there any miniSD 4gb cards, i use tomtom, that is my reason of asking....

are the miniSD cards speed rated like SD cards are? I have a transcend SD 4gb 150x card right now
    I was probably about 2 days shy of away from being out of the warranty - that's what the in-store technician said. And I didn't have the monthly insurance either.

As for 4GB miniSD, yes, they do exist, here is the result of a Froogle search: miniSD 4GB
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    I have a 4gb minisd for sale. pm me
    I just went from a 1.10 Sprint 700p to the 755p. Was a happy 700p person, now I'm a happier 755p person.

I'm very happy. The form factor fits hand/pocket better, rubberized case has a better grip, antenna doesn't get caught.

Doesn't reset as much. If phone is off and I reboot it still stays off (I kinda like that).

Don't like that there is no reset button (there was a difference between reset and taking the batter out, depending on problem one way worked better than the other, IMHO).

Don't like the MiniSD chip. I can't transfer from my camera to phone anymore

Love the new phone!

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  16.    #16  
    whats the best way to get all your PIM data from the treo 700p to treo 755

i formated my pc and have no info on it, was going to install the 755 software once the phone comes, how would i get my PIM info from treo 700p to treo 755?

i have rescobackup with all the files.. which ones would i need to copy from card to pc then hotsync to treo 755

thanks guys !
    Had a 700p for six months. Sprint provided a free upgrade to 755p when MR killed the 700p.

Bluetooth much more stable.
    Finally can enjoy skip-free playback of music.
    Shorter talk time - had to upgrade to Seidio's bigger batteries.
    Bought two 4GB miniSDHC cards from Qmemory. Work great.

Really, really, really miss BizCon. When speaker is off, I never know when I receive e-mail because VersaMail will not vibrate phone.
    Upside of 755:
    -MUCH more stable than 700p
    -No antenna to break in your pocket
    -Slightly Thinner

Downside of 755:
    -MiniSD card orphan format, plus slot moved to inconvenient location on side
    -Reduced battery life (I *DO* notice it)
    -No way to reset a "freeze" without pulling out battery
    -Gotta throw away any form-fitting cases, SD cards and spare batteries for previous models
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Upside of 755:
    -MUCH more stable than 700p
    -No antenna to break in your pocket
    -Slightly Thinner

Downside of 755:
    -Reduced battery life (I *DO* notice it)
    -No way to reset a "freeze" without pulling out battery
    -Gotta throw away any form-fitting cases and spare batteries for previous models
    Compared to 650.

-650 was very stable...but then I tweaked it to only run software that was stable. Anything that caused instability was removed. 755 seems likewise stable.
    -Can't ever imagine "breaking" that beefy 650 antenna. Even dropped it once or twice and it survived landing on it. Antenna was a nice lever point to remove from belt holster.
    -Can't notice the size difference...but then that was never an issue for me with 650.

-Battery life IS better (but this is compared to a battery that has 2 years of use against it. 650 battery is probably only 1400mAh now.)
    -I found it easier to pull the battery vs. stick a tiny pin in the hole anyway...so no difference for me.
    -Old case works perfectly. I use a belt loop holster. Lost too many pdas and phones to belt clips that didn't stay attached.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    Bought two 4GB miniSDHC cards from Qmemory. Work great.
    can u provide a link to where u bought cards ?..

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qm...-digital1.html

thankssss

do u by chance use tomtom maps on the cards?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast