1.    #1  
    I'm looking for a Memo Pad replacement for my Prism. Has anyone tried Memo Plus? Is it worth $19.95?

Are there some out there that are better?

Thanks,

Barb
    What specifically are you looking for it to do? I've used Memo Plus and don't think it's worth the 19.95 but then I'm a Republican so I'm prone to keeping my own money.

Are you looking for an Outline program? A Doc reader type of Memo or what.

Let us know we are always glad to help!
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    WordSmith is your best choice. It is more money, $29.95 but is real word processing. Most important, there aren't size limits for your files and it links directly with MS Word.
    Remember, "You get what you pay for." (But if you don't do your research you pay to learn what not to do next time!)
    Richard Grogan
    Email: <A HREF="mailto:rgrogan@azstarnet.com?subject=VisorCentral">rgrogan@azstarnet.com</A>
    Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.azstarnet.com/~rgrogan/official.htm">http://www.azstarnet.com/~rgrogan/official.htm</A>
    Saying that Wordsmith is the answer to the question, is a bit premature. What you want to use it for is most important. (Wordsmith is a good program, but it uses alot of Ram.)

There is a huge difference between jotting down a note, text processing and word processing. Consider the following:

If you want to be able to sync your memos with Outlook, etc., you want something that maintains compatability with MemoPad files. I don't know what MemoPad Plus is like.

For a program that maintains compatability with MemoPad and has more features than any other Palm software, I would suggest pedit (light or pro). ZDNet and several others rank it as an essential program. http://www.paulcomputing.com. The developer is as involved as any can be. There are updates to the program daily. It can be overkill, but the features are endless.

If memo compatability is not necessary and you want to do styles (bold, italics), then WordSmith is a good choice.
    Forgot one other important thing. pedit has two modes, one that stays under the 4k barrier and another that goes to 32k, and they can import/expert files to each other.
    You can use WordSmith for free as a memo pad replacement.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Originally posted by Barb
    I'm looking for a Memo Pad replacement for my Prism. Has anyone tried Memo Plus? Is it worth $19.95?

Are there some out there that are better?

Thanks,

Barb
    Unfortunately, nobody has yet answered your question. Everyone wants to fight over the fact that WordSmith is good or bad. (their starting to sound like the guys over at pdalive.com boards)

To answer your question about Memo Plus....

I have it loaded right now and it is a good program. I got it for free so I can't really complain about the price.

As for the memo portion of the prog, it doesn't really do any more for you then the builtin memo pad. If you are interested in adding drawings or hand written notes to each memo, then this is a good prog for that. I find that it really does nothing more for me then the builtin product. I like the fact that it has the drawing ability that the new palm notepad prog has, but I have not used it yet. Maybe someday I will have a use for it.

Bottom line.... If you are looking for a prettier version of memo pad with the ability to ad drawings then this is a good app. Why not download and try it out for yourself.
    Anomaly:

Just thinking about this... I installed pEdit once, and I am sold on WordSmith. Don't you think they thinks are close in size, maybe not the closest... say 100K.

Also, pEdit has a huge learning curve with all the functionality on screen. I remember reading how perfect this app was for people who are technical writers (say, the people who have hidden characters turned on... just kidding). So I recommended it to one who loves her Targus keyboard... and she didn't like it. But that's just her (ok, personally I don't like it either... the manual is like a novel).

What I would do is go to PalmGear or palmspot.com and look in the categories. Screen captures say a lot for a program (I am an interface designer, so that could be an opinion). Look at the rating and functionality. If you are seriously considering an application to write Memos, then maybe get MemoPlus... if you will be writing Word Docs and Memos I wouldn't hesitate in recommending WordSmith.

Outlines, however, I love Synsolutions.com ListPlus (I think that is the name).
  9.    #9  
    Thanks, Smitty! I did download MemoPlus last night & I like it alot!

I thought Wordsmith was more for downloading Word files, etc.

Barb
    Originally posted by Barb
    Thanks, Smitty! I did download MemoPlus last night & I like it alot!

I thought Wordsmith was more for downloading Word files, etc.

Barb
    We are downloading programs last night and thanking people who didn't post until today! There is a certain eticate that should be followed regarding posting to any discussion board.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    heey! be nice!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  12.    #12  
    Thank you! Not sure why Moose is upset. I asked the question before I downloaded, and thought, hey, I may as well try the demo. What's wrong with that?

Barb
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE

We are downloading programs last night and thanking people who didn't post until today! There is a certain eticate that should be followed regarding posting to any discussion board.
    You are exactly right, there is etiquette to follow and from your response, it seems you aren't taking your own advice.

Barb asked a question and the board wasn't answering it. I tried to answer to the best of my ability.

FYI... Etiquette is not spelled "eticate", try spell check next time, that's why it's there.
    Well, it's because I asked some questions to better answer your thread and got ignored. Smitty stated what he felt about the program after you had already downloaded it.

There may still be a better program out there that will fit your needs but we don't know what those needs are?

I apologize for sounding angry but at least I'm not ignoring you.
    Moose Man
  15.    #15  
    Didn't mean to ignore you, Moose.

Sorry!

Barb
    Heyo... Not to change the subject....

Can somebody talk more about the differences, pros, cons, etc. re: WordSmith and pedit? I love WS, does pedit have different functionality?
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Heyo... Not to change the subject....

Can somebody talk more about the differences, pros, cons, etc. re: WordSmith and pedit? I love WS, does pedit have different functionality?

pEdit and WordSmith have totally different philosophies. pEdit is a text editor. It's designed for people who need to work with pure raw text as efficiently as possible. Think of it as the vi or Emacs of the Palm world. It appeals to programmers as well as writers who are more concerned about the "content" of their writing than its presentation.

pEdit has a huge amount of complex functionality, all of which can be accessed directly from a keyboard. For example, the "jump" function that allows you to jump to a specific place in the text brings up a form with literally 27 different buttons for ways to jump around (by character, word, sentence, screen line, paragraph, etc.). Needless to say, this gives the user a huge amount of power - and a learning curve to match

pEdit has no concept of "formatting". Text is text. If you want it formatted, you put in whatever codes you want (HTML, TeX, etc.) and export the text to some "presentation" app that understands them.

WordSmith, on the other hand, is more of a document editor. It appeals to users who have no problem sacrificing raw editing power (some might call it complexity ) in exchange for the ability to have the document presented in a "human friendly" manner. WordSmith understands the concepts of "heading" and "bold", but don't expect it to be able to jump forward 117 screen lines in a half dozen keystrokes.

Which is right for any given user really depends on what task they're trying to accomplish.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    Thanks, Dave, you are a star!

(I'm going to go and register FAFile right now!)
    Now to get back on topic. I use Daynotez instead of my memo pad. I really like how it works with Datebk 4 plus it uses template and you can create a todo from any selected text. It also has a desktop component.

www.natara.com

Clark
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>