1.    #1  
    Was sitting in my Doctor's office surfing and noticed that I had only one bar on the Power Vision but it was moving along ok. I went to a new website and suddenly the screen went dark. I don't think it was a soft reset but not sure. I kept pushing hard buttons and suddenly the screen was bright again. This happened three times in a row. Needless to say I turned the phone off. The Treo seemed ok as I sat and played Bejeweled for about another half hour. Anyone had this happen? I remember dark screen issues when streaming for a long time but I was not streaming. It almost seemed like trying to connect to the website was too much of a strain and it powered down to a low level.
    I've seen the screen go "dark" (actually just very dim) using Kinoma before. Adjusted the brightness and it was back to normal.
  3.    #3  
    The problem was so dark I could not see to get to Prefs to do that. Isn't there a way to do it pressing option and another key to make the screen brighter? Also was it the low signal strength that did something?
    Option-P to adjust brightness. Don't think low signal strength would effect it.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Grim. It had trouble connecting to the website which sometimes happens and when I directed it there again the problems started. I know the Treos dim when they get hot from streaming. Just wonder if the low signal strength could have created a heat producing situation.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The phone does that when it gets hot.. Power/Heat Saving type of thing. I get it when streaming Kinoma all the time.. just adjust it back up, if the screen is low enough is will basically turn off. Just boost it up and it will be fine.
  7.    #7  
    That is what I remember reading here before Crimson. What perplexes me is why did it happen when I was not streaming and jus trying to connect to a site? The only odd thing was I had no bars of signal strength, but it had been zipping along just prior to this.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    My guess is that when signal is lower more power is needed to transmit/receive thus making more heat..
  9.    #9  
    That was what I was kind of thinking too. I was so weirded out I did not think to feel how hot it was. The Treo was in a crystal case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    My guess is that when signal is lower more power is needed to transmit/receive thus making more heat..
    You said you only had one bar, which means the transmitter was running full power. Which in turn will overheat the Treo, making the screen turn off, to try to cool itself. All normal..........
    Matty
  11.    #11  
    Phew! Thanks Matty all normal is what I needed to hear. Was hoping that was it.
    I just had this happen last night (I read this thread yesterday) after a phone call. I was in my house where reception stinks and I guess since it struggled to keep the connection it was overheating...?
    I did notice that it was warm during the conversation. After ending the call the screen was very dim (although it should have been all the way off according to phone technician) and after I hit the red button a few times it came back up to full power.
    Hmmm.
  13.    #13  
    Sounds like pretty much the same thing amc. Easier to deal with when you know it has happened to others. It is one of those things that make you go hmmmm.