Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    OK. So next week I am finally buying a 755p. I have been waiting for years to get a convergence device and look forward to throwing my Sanyo MM-8300 into Burnham harbor here in Chicago. (Just kidding. I WILL recycle it).

I currently maintain two calendars:

1) Personal/Family - Google Calendar
    2) Work - Lotus Notes

For several years now I have been keeping both personal and work events on my work calendar and syncing to my Tungsten E via EasySync Pro. A few months ago I started using Google Calendar for my personal/family/church events. I am very happy with it.

Here is the thing. My company is being very subtle about recommending that people keep personal schedules OUT of business resources (i.e. not put personal events on our lotus notes work calendars, hence my switch to Google Calendar a few months ago.) My guess is that they will be certainly less subtle about personal calendar items in our work calendars.

So here is what I can't figure out...

Aside from an Elegant syncing tool for Google Calendar (my research tells me there isn't a good one yet, and I wish google would just write a conduit based version already), but how can I get my work events to sync but isolate the personal events from syncing back to my work calendar? (the same question will apply for syncing work events into my google calendar).

Do any of you do anything similar here? How have you handled it?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Nothing?
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Looks cool, but it doesn't look like it syncs to Google Calendar. I'll have to research further. Thanks for the tip.

Any other input is appreciated.
    rpiatt,

Here is what I do, and it is working out well for my wife and me.

I am in a similar situation, in that we use Lotus Notes at work for email/calendar and we wanted to use a web-based service to share personal calendar between my wife and me.

Ultimately, here's what I came up with and it has been working very well for several weeks.

1. Lotus Notes at work for calendar
    2. AirSet for web-based and mobile shared calendar
    3. Google Calendar as a conduit to AirSet to get the work calendar reflected.

Here's how things are set up.

I manage my work calendar with Notes - I get meeting requests from others in email and I can key in work appointments in notes.

I then use Companionlink for Google Calendar to sync my Notes calendar with a Google Calendar account I set up for the purpose.

That Google Calendar account is published as an iCal calendar.

In AirSet, my wife and I share a personal calendar and in the account, I subscribe to the iCal feed of my work calendar - it comes in as a secondary calendar.

I use AirSet's free Desktop Sync tool (which interestingly enough is a re-branded CompanionLink program) to Sync the AirSet calendar directly with my Treo. The configuration of the AirSet desktop sync keeps the secondary calendar as a different Category so they are easily differentiated on the Calendar app on the Treo.

There are 2 caveats, both of which I am easily dealing with:

1. The CompanionLink for Google Calendar does not cache the Notes credentials so I have to enter my notes password every time - it has to be a manual process.
    2. AirSet only updates from the iCal feed automatically once a day - but they have recently added the ability to force an update immediately from the website if you need to.

So to get my work calendar onto my Treo is a 3-step process

1. Sync Notes to Google calendar with CompanionLink
    2. Sync Google Calendar to Airset from the Airset website
    3. Sync AirSet to Treo using regular Palm Hotsync

It takes a couple of minutes, but it works just fine and for me, my work calendar on the Treo is secondary - I work in an office and don't travel much, so the calendar on the Treo is just for reference if I am at home - I only sync it about once a day.

Ted
    What's wrong with GooSync? I use Goosync and love it, I am trying to get on the Contacts Beta test.

I have as many Google Calendars as I want selectable.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    This issue with goosync si that I can't sync with my Lotus Notes Calendaring at work.

I deally something that let's me flag items as personal vs. wprk, and then tat identifies where it syncs to...

Pie in the sky, I know, but I waited long enough to get this device, so I want it to work a certain way... maybe asking too much...

The Airset stuff is intriguing, but cumbersome.

I wish someone would come up with an elegant solution. I know what I want, but I am not a coder (not anymore)...
    Last edited by rpiatt; 08/14/2007 at 04:53 PM.
    Ted:

Quick follow-up question on the following details of your post:

I then use Companionlink for Google Calendar to sync my Notes calendar with a Google Calendar account I set up for the purpose.

That Google Calendar account is published as an iCal calendar.

In AirSet, my wife and I share a personal calendar and in the account, I subscribe to the iCal feed of my work calendar - it comes in as a secondary calendar.

I use AirSet's free Desktop Sync tool (which interestingly enough is a re-branded CompanionLink program) to Sync the AirSet calendar directly with my Treo. The configuration of the AirSet desktop sync keeps the secondary calendar as a different Category so they are easily differentiated on the Calendar app on the Treo.
    Do you use two separate computers (i.e., a work computer for CompanionLink and a home computer for AirSet Desktop Sync)?

I installed both applications -- CompanionLink, then AirSet Desktop Sync. Unfortunately, now when I open CompanionLink, it actually opens AirSet DT Sync instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by jared.bruns View Post
    Ted:

Quick follow-up question on the following details of your post:

Do you use two separate computers (i.e., a work computer for CompanionLink and a home computer for AirSet Desktop Sync)?

I installed both applications -- CompanionLink, then AirSet Desktop Sync. Unfortunately, now when I open CompanionLink, it actually opens AirSet DT Sync instead.
    Yes I do. I had neglected to state that. My work computer has CompanionLink for Google, my home computer has AirSet Desktop Sync.