1.    #1  
    Here is the deal. In the past, whenever I wanted to beam something to someone, I would have to turn off "afterburner" for the port to work. No big problem. However, after I upgraded to the latest edition just a week or so ago, the problems started occurring. Someone tried beaming me something, I had turned afterburner off, but it still didn't work. I later found out through the use of Benchmark, that although the afterburner hack was officially turned off, the processer was still being overclocked. It wasn't until I did a warm reset did the processer actually go back to its original speed. It seems like I can't really turn off afterburner unless I do a warm reset afterwords.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some way to fix or get around it?
    thanks
    I use BeamLink to beam addresses to a pager. This beaming did not work with AfterBurner 3.0u turned on. Deactivating AfterBurner enables the beaming to work -- I did not have to do a soft (or warm) reset to get the beaming to work.

I am now using TealMaster 1.40 which gives you the capability of setting up profiles so that you can turn certain hacks off (or on) when running certain programs. I have used this capability to deactivate AfterBurner when I'm running any programs that do beaming (e.g. BeamLink) or access my CF Adapter (e.g. FAFileMover and JackBack).
  3. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    AfterBurner doesn't interfere when you beam to someone else. It only messes up the recieveing. (at least in my experience) AB sets some switches in the OS that turning it off doesn't reset. The easiest way to reset things is, as you have found out, a soft reset. Supposedly, the registered version doesn't have the beaming problem. I'll let you know when I register (real soon now)
    Originally posted by joe
    AfterBurner doesn't interfere when you beam to someone else. It only messes up the recieveing. (at least in my experience) AB sets some switches in the OS that turning it off doesn't reset. The easiest way to reset things is, as you have found out, a soft reset. Supposedly, the registered version doesn't have the beaming problem. I'll let you know when I register (real soon now)
    The registered version of AfterBurner 3.0u, which I have, definitely prevented me sending "beams" (as I described above).
  5. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Hmmm...

I have V3.0p and I can send with no problems. Maybe it is a specific setting. It seems to me that I read something about the I/R port operating at some fraction of the overclocked speed. The inference was that certain speeds would allow beaming to work correctly. I'm at 28 Mhz on a VDX and it beams (outgoing) fine.
  6. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Well, I registered AB. Now I am running V3.0u. I am at 28 Mhz. I still cannot receive at that speed, but I can now hit the "norm" button at the bottom of the config screen to be able to recieve. B4, I would have to reset. Perhaps the pager is not as forgiving as another Palm/Visor I/R port?
  7.    #7  
    Well, I started this thread, and have yet found a real solution except to not use afterburner. I have now come across the problem that afterburner will essentially never turn off unless you do a hard reset. It varies. Unchecking the hack has no effect according to Benchmark. Performing a soft reset sometimes (roughly 1 out of 5 times) sets the processer back to its standard speed. Last resort, which I've had to take twice now, is a hard reset. I'm running the latest version of afterburner and the latest version of x-master on one of the original VDx. Intill I can find a cure, afterburner will not be running on my machine, which sucks because I use some large databases that take forever to load. Oh well.
  8. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Richard

I'm mystified. We are running identical configurations. Even down to the original VDX. I have none of your problems. A soft reset should definitely nix the over clocking settings. There are other over clockers out there. Maybe one of them would be better.

Joe
  9.    #9  
    Well, I guess I'll attempt to download afterburner again and reload it. Hoping there is just some glitch in my setup. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I'll have to look at using another overclocking program - any suggestions?
    thanks
    Originally posted by joe
    ...I have V3.0p and I can send with no problems. Maybe it is a specific setting. It seems to me that I read something about the I/R port operating at some fraction of the overclocked speed. The inference was that certain speeds would allow beaming to work correctly. I'm at 28 Mhz on a VDX and it beams (outgoing) fine.
    It's probably because I'm running AB on a Prism at 43 MHz. I'm not really surprised that I would have some beaming issues at that speed

Originally posted by Richard ...otherwise I'll have to look at using another overclocking program - any suggestions?
    The only other overclocker that I would consider is
    FastCPU I found it worked pretty well for me but I went back to AB as that was what I'd registered.
    I'm currently trying out Afterburner 3.0u which I downloaded from PalmGear. I have a Visor Deluxe and even with the unregistered version (I'm still seeing how stable it is) I can go up to 28Mhz and my IR and serial ports all work fine, including with my stowaway keyboard. I think you may find that the readme file that comes with Afterburner explains all the issues about the IR and serial ports. But basically it comes down to the quality of the batch your Visor/Prism/Platinum came from and isn't to do with Afterburner. While the CPU is generally ok being overclocked, other parts of the hardware don't always like it depending on how good in terms of quality they are.

So in other words if, even with the registered version, your IR and serial ports do not work, you are probably stuffed. And you can't complain to Handspring since they set the original clockspeeds for a reason - that's what they have been designed and tested at, so are the only speeds at which they will guanrentee everything working properly.

Colin
    Fear not Richard, I have experienced the same problem. I don't cope well with hard resets and I hardly ever beam/receive so it's not that big of a deal to me. But it is good to know I'm not the only one who has this problem with AB. Unlike most people, I use AB to UNDERCLOCK my VDX to 10 MHz (can't someone get it to go slower?) This still affects beaming and whenever a friend has a cool proggy I want, he has to sync to my computer and I transfer it to my account. It is a real pain. Can someone tell us how to fix this???

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  13.    #13  
    For the time being I have stopped using AB. I occasionally use it (twice) and have been successfull in getting the visor back to its original speed by a warm reset. But I'm still hesitent so I tend not to use it. I'm tempted to try FastCPU, but am not sure if it can run in a unregistered mode indefinitely. I'll further experiment and update when time allows.