1.    #1  
    I'm not sure what MR stands for, but I know what it is.

The question is... Do I want it? My Verizon Treo 700p is just fine now, so I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't mess with it. I see a lot of problems posted here related to the update, but that's too be expected on a forum like this.

What say you? Upgrade, or don't fix what ain't broken?
    MR stands for Maintenance Release. The question on whether or not you want it is entirely up to you. Read a few hundred of the posts here. If you are having no problems at all, then why upgrade? The upgrade was to fix problems. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post

The question is... Do I want it? My Verizon Treo 700p is just fine now, so I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't mess with it. I see a lot of problems posted here related to the update, but that's too be expected on a forum like this.

NO
    NO, you do not want it unless you are looking for more headaches from your 700p than what you're already experiencing!
    don't do it. i just did it.
    Don't do it from a Sprint Jockeys perspective. I have said many times on this forum how my Post MR 700P has been a dream machine. To date, the only thing that is dreamy is BT. Everything else is degrading over time and getting buggy. It still works pretty good and I am not complaining but it wasn't as good as it was right after the update up until the third week. Basically its the same Treo with better attributes and worse ones which makes it balanced...in other words what ever was worse got better and what ever was good got worse "balanced".
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'm a verizon treo 700p user. I dropped mine and broke the screen the week the MR came out. I'm about to get my third one now, all have been upgraded to the 1.10 firmware (the MR) and ALL have had completely crippled data connections, rendering them useless. Verizon and Palm deny any problems, although I think Verizon knows about it because they didn't even discuss the problem; they just said they "had" to send me another one.

So no, I would not do it if I were you.
    My treo just bit the dust so I will have to get it replaced and will probably get 1.10. I did not want it.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    After a few days of problems, my Verizon 700p MR (in-store version) has worked without flaw for close to a week. This is crazy isn't it? I love my phone now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post

If you see no problems with your Treo, there is no need to apply the Maintenance Release.

The purpose of the ROM upgrade is to fix some problematic areas of Treo performance, most notably the bluetooth connectivity and the lag while switching programs. The former has improved on my phone after the MR, the latter is about the same to me. With the MR however, other issues have been introduced that most regard as new system bugs - you can read about those elsewhere.

In essence, if it ain't broke to you, don't fix it.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    My Verizon Treo 700P works pretty well.

Wondering if I should do the update. Wanted to wait after several weeks & see how it's performing for early adopters.

My treo only has the following periodic challenges:

1) BT headset (Jawbone) will disconnect after a while & usually re-connects when make next call. Seems the only time it won't re-connect on it's own is if I have plugged in the treo to charge OR if I have used Bt for something else (BT transfer of a contact to my Treo700WX OR use my Tom Tom Navigation).

2) Once a month or so may hang & finally re-set or cause me to re-set.

3) Occassional lags when keying in data which I believe is related to using the Verizon email service which is always connected.

So - Not many problems....& pretty manageable....So how has the update worked for those that took the plunge?
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Your mileage may vary.

I did the update twice and in both occasions I got very frustrating experiences. Depending on your phone's HW revision/version, the MR can either go great or make your phone a nightmare to use. I did update to the latest MR (Treo700p_-1.10) and my phone would still get Error 3000 and several resets in a day.

I just got a replacement phone from Verizon with the MR pre-installed and all the problems are now gone. I have the exact same software in this new phone than I had before.

My recommendation is DO NOT UPGRADE unless the nags you are having with your phone (be it bad BT connections, lags, etc.) are driving you completely mad. Then install the update but success is not guaranteed.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...