1.    #1  
    Hi guys. I have been carefully weighing buying a treo for when the foleo comes out. I am currently on Cingular.

Is the Treo 755p worth the 2 year contract? I do have that urge to go 3G with a Treo now... but i am afraid that when i get tied to this phone, i would have regrets once the Treo Linux phone comes out next year.

What do you guys think? SHould i wait? or should i go ahead with 755p?

Or maybe someone can suggest a nice way of getting a 755p Sprint phone now and not be tied up 2 years. Can i just buy the 755p at ebay and just get a line without a contract at Sprint store? Is that possible?

Thanks guys!
    If your going to pass on a Treo waiting for the Linux model to come out you have a long wait ahead of you, the way things are with Palm nowadays we cant even get 100% working Treo so go with the 755 because who the hell knows if were ever going to get a Linux model in the next couple of years
    I think the rest of the year Palm will be consumed with "Fooleo Fever," I doubt they have the intention or resources to do much else with the Treo line of much mention. The Fooleo software is still in beta a month before release, and you can expect that Palm's limited attention will have to be on massive overtime to give the Fooleo any chance of success - it's an extremely hard sell and any new tech device will naturally have issues and PRPRPR $to$ $maintain$.

Even IF Palm had a Plinux Treo in the works, I'm sticking with the 755 for a while as at least it's problems are fairly well known and workable. Palm hasn't won any awards from the community for the thoroughness of it's testing and I would cringe to be an early adopter of any Treo based on a new operating system. Get the 755 now, and by the time you are ready to renegotiate a contract would be the earliest time to even consider buying a Plinux Treo.

I'm not very impressed with buying personal electronics on Ebay, but that's just me (and people I've observed being burned). My best advice (for what it's worth - some say not much) is to go with the Sprint SERO plan (www.sprint.com/sero email:savings@sprint.com) and pickup a new fully warrantied 755 for $279 with a $30 or $50/mo contract (plus buy the insurance!!). Roaming and Data's included, 500 or 1250 minutes, and by the time a stable Plinux handset is released you'll probably be out of your 2-year agreement anyhow.
    Last edited by Joad; 07/22/2007 at 03:36 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Hi guys. I have been carefully weighing buying a treo for when the foleo comes out. I am currently on Cingular.

Is the Treo 755p worth the 2 year contract? I do have that urge to go 3G with a Treo now... but i am afraid that when i get tied to this phone, i would have regrets once the Treo Linux phone comes out next year.

What do you guys think? SHould i wait? or should i go ahead with 755p?

Or maybe someone can suggest a nice way of getting a 755p Sprint phone now and not be tied up 2 years. Can i just buy the 755p at ebay and just get a line without a contract at Sprint store? Is that possible?

Thanks guys!
    Try and sign up for the Sprint SERO plan.
    Actually, I don't think the above SERO e-mail is working any more. However, I used sero@sprintemi.com today and it worked.

Treo is $199.00 on SERO.

While texting doesn't show up on the site as free, I have a separate e-mail from Sprint that says free texting is offered through SERO until September 27. I plan to call them once I get my phone to have them add it.

Good luck with your decision.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Actually, I don't think the above SERO e-mail is working any more. However, I used sero@sprintemi.com today and it worked.

Treo is $199.00 on SERO.

While texting doesn't show up on the site as free, I have a separate e-mail from Sprint that says free texting is offered through SERO until September 27. I plan to call them once I get my phone to have them add it.

I called yesterday and got a 755p for $199. I signed on for the 500 minute plan with unlimited PowerVision, text messaging, and other great features. Bye-bye AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I think the rest of the year Palm will be consumed with "Fooleo Fever," I doubt they have the intention or resources to do much else with the Treo line of much mention. The Fooleo software is still in beta a month before release, and you can expect that Palm's limited attention will have to be on massive overtime to give the Fooleo any chance of success - it's an extremely hard sell and any new tech device will naturally have issues and PRPRPR $to$ $maintain$.

Even IF Palm had a Plinux Treo in the works, I'm sticking with the 755 for a while as at least it's problems are fairly well known and workable. Palm hasn't won any awards from the community for the thoroughness of it's testing and I would cringe to be an early adopter of any Treo based on a new operating system. Get the 755 now, and by the time you are ready to renegotiate a contract would be the earliest time to even consider buying a Plinux Treo.

I'm not very impressed with buying personal electronics on Ebay, but that's just me (and people I've observed being burned). My best advice (for what it's worth - some say not much) is to go with the Sprint SERO plan (www.sprint.com/sero email:savings@sprint.com) and pickup a new fully warrantied 755 for $279 with a $30 or $50/mo contract (plus buy the insurance!!). Roaming and Data's included, 500 or 1250 minutes, and by the time a stable Plinux handset is released you'll probably be out of your 2-year agreement anyhow.
    gave this a try and its expired. Retail store states the 755p is down to 199.99 now.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post

Treo is $199.00 on SERO.

tryed this too and it didn't work either. I am looking for a plan to share with my wife can I get the servo for that . I am looking for unlimited text, unlimited email, web for sure maybe tv and nav to give it a try. I want a 755p and a Razor for the wife.

Retail is showing it will run me

30 for all for web/email/tv/unlimited text/nav/radio
    69.99 for 700 mins
    30.00 for razor
    199.99 for 755p

then I get 25% off the total bill minus taxes for being a MI first responder. Can I do better on a servo?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Also, for all those who have or will sign up, there are rebates for 175 off a Treo.

Kellogg

$100 MIR
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel0004 View Post
    Also, for all those who have or will sign up, there are rebates for 175 off a Treo.

Kellogg

$100 MIR
    Are these two separate and additional rebates? how different are these from the normal rebates you get by opening a new line online at sprint.com?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Are these two separate and additional rebates? how different are these from the normal rebates you get by opening a new line online at sprint.com?
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Those mail in rebates are good with SERO and non SERO plans. When you sign up online as a new customer, you get a 150 instant rebate, sometimes more, but you can also send in mail in rebates to make it much much cheaper.

To the OP. I can't comment specifically on the 755p (I joined this forum today b/c I'm interested in it), but I can tell you SERO is a great plan. Before you buy, read post 1-4 in this thread, it should answer any SERO questions you may have.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=563252