Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Is Sprint cheating me out of minutes?? Why does my counter start as soon as I hit the dial button? Is Sprint charging me air time when the number I'm calling is still ringing? When I was with Cingular, the counter didn't begin until the other person answered their phone.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    yep... you got it.. grand conspiracy to cheat people out of minutes.
    Every phone and every phone company I've ever used starts counting from the time you hit the green key till you hit the red key, ringing, busy signal, all counts.It even said so in the contract (though I haven't read my new Sprint contract).
    It doesn't matter if your on the phone for 30 seconds and hang up, it will get rounded to one minute of usage.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Most -- if not all -- cell companies charge from "send" to "end"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Most -- if not all -- cell companies charge from "send" to "end"
    all companies start charging from the time the other party picks up the call , ringing doesnt count that would be a crime. the timer on the phone is for cell phone life usage only. And i think sprint is the last company that would want to cheat someone when they are basically giving their plans away for a few bucks compared to other providers.
    I believe the contract states that if you get a busy or no answer, and hang up within 30 seconds, then it will not count as a minute. I haven't read it since the initial activation, though. I know for a fact Cingular was this way.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    all companies start charging from the time the other party picks up the call , ringing doesnt count that would be a crime. the timer on the phone is for cell phone life usage only. And i think sprint is the last company that would want to cheat someone when they are basically giving their plans away for a few bucks compared to other providers.
    You are correct about the billing starting when the person answers with the exception of you letting it ring for over 30 seconds and no answer. If it rings for more than 30 seconds you will be charged for at least a minute, or longer if you let it ring more than a minute. That's why it's best to hang up just before 30 seconds if no answer. They do disclose this somewhere in the contract.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Sorry to burst you guys' collective bubble, but, from the Sprint PCS Terms & Conditions of Service

How We Calculate Your Charges For Billing Purposes
    Regular Voice Calls: We round up partial minutes of use to the next full minute. Time starts when you press "Talk" or your Device connects to the network and stops when you press "End" or the network connection otherwise breaks. You're charged for all calls that connect, even to answering machines. You won't be charged for unanswered calls or if you get a busy signal. For incoming calls answered, you're charged from the time shortly before the Device starts ringing until you press END or the network connection otherwise breaks. If charges vary depending on the time of day that you place or receive calls (e.g., Nights and Weekend plans), you're charged for the entire call based on the rate that applies to the time period in which the call starts.
    Uhhh. It says you won't be charged for unanswered calls, or busy signals. That is kinda what we were saying.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    Uhhh. It says you won't be charged for unanswered calls, or busy signals. That is kinda what we were saying.
    Uhhh. I was primarily responding to this:

all companies start charging from the time the other party picks up the call , ringing doesnt count that would be a crime.
    and this:

You are correct about the billing starting when the person answers with the exception of you letting it ring for over 30 seconds and no answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonGeorge View Post
    and this:
    Quote:
    You are correct about the billing starting when the person answers with the exception of you letting it ring for over 30 seconds and no answer.
    Well, I might give you that it starts when the send button is pressed, but I'll bet you that if you let it ring and ring with no answer, you will be charged even with what you see on the statement.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas