Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought a new Treo and wanted to get opinions on adding the insurance option through Sprint?

Do you have it?

Thanks,

Rick
    yes I have it.

$7 is worth it in my opinion.
    What Trim said.
  4.    #4  
    Is it part of the plan or something that can be added or removed?

Appreciate the input, keep those opinions coming.
    I have it. You have to add it within 15 days of activation of the phone I think. Its $7 and is added to your bill. I think you can remove at any time but can't add it after the 15 days.

Right now its not worth it because I haven't had to use it but it gives you a peace of mind that if it does break, $50 will replace it and not $500+.

If you have a discount through Sprint (I have a 23% discount), the $7 gets discounted as well. With the Sprint SERO plan and insurance, my plan ends up being around $33.51 a month.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  6.    #6  
    appreciate the feedback.
    AFAIR the time limit to add the insurance is 30 days, matching the amount of time you have to back out of a contract (otherwise you'd just kill then restart the contract just to be able to add insurance if it were 15 days).

They are probably ahead in the $$$ department with me, as I've never had a phone we wrecked ourselves. But Sprint recently changed their terms and they'll charge you somewhere around $50 if you want them to help you in the store with your phone, even if under warranty. Otherwise you have to deal with phone reps and UPS'ing the phone back and forth to them - not a solution I want with a crucial device.

The $7/mo per phone seems like extortion (just like auto insurance), until you actually need it - then you are darn glad you paid your premium. There are plenty of horror stories in these forums of folks who thought they were smart by saving the $84/ year for this insurance, only to drop the phone in the toilet one day and then need to pony up $200-300 on Craigslist for a replacement phone (which they also won't be able to add to insurance).

The fact I can walk into a Sprint store with my waterlogged or gravel-bashed Treo and probably get a brand new one off the shelf (or overnighted) for $50 with this insurance is reason enough to pay up.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    nojok3 - I just rec'd a postcard from Sprint stating that the corporate discount that I've been getting on the insurance will be discontinued.

$7/mo seems steep, until you drop your Treo. Get the insurance.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I don't think its worth it.. I only paid $199 for my 755p, and at $7 a month, that puts it at around $168 I paid for in 2 years.. I get a 1 year warranty through Palm for technical issues, it doesn't seem worth it to me to pay nearly what I paid for the phone for insurance. In 2 years I could certainly buy the phone for that if it were to die. AndI would probably want the new model anyway.

I've NEVER destroyed a cell phone in the 10+ years of having one. If I paid $7 a month for those 10 years I would be out $840. I think most people just take advantage of 'losing' a phone or 'breaking' it to get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I don't think its worth it.. I only paid $199 for my 755p, and at $7 a month, that puts it at around $168 I paid for in 2 years.. I get a 1 year warranty through Palm for technical issues, it doesn't seem worth it to me to pay nearly what I paid for the phone for insurance. In 2 years I could certainly buy the phone for that if it were to die. AndI would probably want the new model anyway.

I've NEVER destroyed a cell phone in the 10+ years of having one. If I paid $7 a month for those 10 years I would be out $840. I think most people just take advantage of 'losing' a phone or 'breaking' it to get a new one.
    I never dropped a phone in my life until I get my Treo. While my Treo didn't break, I don't want to take that chance. You aren't under a contract to stay with the $7 (I don't think) so you could cancel at any time I assume if the price becomes what the phone is worth or there is a newer model you would like to upgrade to.

If you break your phone, don't come crying in this thread though
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    The insurance is nice because you can do whatever to your phone and get it either repaired or replaced in store with Sprint. I've done this twice (once with a 700wx and once with a 6700). Both times I got a brand new one with no extra cost.

On the flipside, I had a 650 with Cingular that died and even though it was within the 1st year, I had to ship it off to Palm for a replacement. Instore replacement and the knowledge that I don't have to worry too much about losing or destroying my $600 toy is worth $7 month to me.

Crimson, you have to remember that the $199 price you paid is discounted. You can't go and buy a new one for that price if you break it a month after getting it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have had many different cell phones over the past 10+ years. Until last week I had NEVER had an occassion where I needed to use the insurance. With that said, thankfully I purchased it this time. One week after purchasing my 755p it went for a swim. Well, I guess I helped it a bit. Anyway, $50 isn't cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new phone again. The insurance probably is a rip-off, but so is house insurance. Both seem necessary to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post
    nojok3 - I just rec'd a postcard from Sprint stating that the corporate discount that I've been getting on the insurance will be discontinued.

Same here...I got the postcard and got a sinking feeling that it was the "letter" from Sprint.

The insurance is worth every penny when you have a Treo. You never know when it's going to go bad, much less dropping it. Without the insurance it's full price to replace a phone, not the renewal price you can see advertised, but either way, even if you were lucky and got it for the $199....$7 per month for 24 months plus the $50 replacement works out pretty much the same ($230). I replaced two 650s and a two Kyocera 7135s when I was with Verizon. All because the phones went bad. The last 7135 was replaced with the Treo 600. After replacing two 650s in less than a year the insurance company dropped my coverage. I'll tell you, the last year without insurance worried me because I knew I'd never pay full price for another Treo if the last replacement went bad. The insurance is money well spent, believe me.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Its all a game of chance.. if I bought every extended warranty offered to me I would be out thousands of dollars.. In the long run, if you don't get it, you will probably save more than if you did. Unless you are a very unlucky person..
    Its all a game of chance..
    The chance you will drop your Treo...I would get the insurance. I have had it on both of the phones on my account. My wife used it when her
    A900 went buggy they replaced it free of charge(i.e. no $50 rep charge).
    at&t iPhone3G
    Its all a game of chance.. if I bought every extended warranty offered to me I would be out thousands of dollars.. In the long run, if you don't get it, you will probably save more than if you did. Unless you are a very unlucky person..
    We're not talking an extended warranty here. I would never buy an extended warranty. Any warranty wouldn't cover dropping a phone anyway. I'll bet you have car and homeowners insurance.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    We're not talking an extended warranty here. I would never buy an extended warranty. Any warranty wouldn't cover dropping a phone anyway. I'll bet you have car and homeowners insurance.
    Those would be better analogies if (most) people weren't required to have auto and homeowners insurance. It's not like we have to ponder that decision.

As far as the treo goes, I'm debating. Had my 755 for a couple weeks now so have a little more time to decide. Had a 300, upgraded to a 600, which I had for the last 3.5 years. The 600 finally broke so I guess if I'd had the insurance I would have gotten an upgrade for free but it might have been a 700 or something. I think I've made out alright without the insurance but I know a lot of people get it. A buddy of mine has gone from the 300 --> 600 --> 650 using the plan. So I'm officially on the fence.
    Strike
    Treo 300 ---> Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike View Post
    Those would be better analogies if (most) people weren't required to have auto and homeowners insurance. It's not like we have to ponder that decision.
    I see your point there and it's a good one, but I also bet you that if you owned your home flat out where you didn't need insurance, would you? I doubt even the richest person would self insure. I just think that it's a small price to pay for an expensive phone. I wouldn't have it on a Razr or small flip.
    Auto liability insurance is required but collision is not; I think collision would be the correct analogy. Would you buy collision insurance on your brand spanking new BMW? I would think so. On you're 10 year old rusted our Chevy? Not so much.

In general, retailers make money hand over fist on extended warranties and pruduct insurance. In general, I never bother with it.

I just got a 755p, and it was sent to me activated, with insurance on the account, which I was contemplating dropping, but hadn't gotten around to. Just this morning, I dropped the phone (which I rarely do) onto pavement in the pouring rain. Fortunately the damage is only cosmetic, but it has some serious dings (which drive me nuts, but that's another story). Now I'm rethinking the insurance thing. At a replacement cost of $579, with $50 deductable, and $7/month insurance, it would take 75 months to break even. A year with one replacement would cost $138. So, now I'm thinking It's worth keeping around, at least until I'm eligible for upgrade pricing. Especially now that I'm on a Sprint SERO plan, the price doesn't look so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post

Seriously, what a coincidence that they sent those (I got one too!). Sucks but with the SERO plan its still cheaper than any other plan, and I have insurance.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast