Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Ok i am just 3days before my 30 days run out and still havent decided yet on Insurance.

Concerns:

like my previous post, isnt there like a manufacturer's waranty that should be able to at least repair the Treo if something happens to it?

is there any official word on whether Insurance is also discounted (have employee discount too)?

You think how long will the treo 755p model last? you think they will still have stock a year from now? was thinking maybe i can get the insurance, and probably if palm comes out with a Linux Treo sometime next year i can get that instead of the 755p. what you guys think?
    Read the warranty, seriously, that will answer your first question better than anyone here can.

No, insurance isn't discounted.

If they have a 755p, you will get that, not the Linux unless you are really good at arguing. Nobody can tell you how long they'll be around but consider a guy posted on the board a few weeks ago that he just got a 650 from Verizon as an insurance replacement.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Ok i am just 3days before my 30 days run out and still havent decided yet on Insurance.

Concerns:

like my previous post, isnt there like a manufacturer's waranty that should be able to at least repair the Treo if something happens to it?

is there any official word on whether Insurance is also discounted (have employee discount too)?

You think how long will the treo 755p model last? you think they will still have stock a year from now? was thinking maybe i can get the insurance, and probably if palm comes out with a Linux Treo sometime next year i can get that instead of the 755p. what you guys think?
    I was in the same situation as you about a month ago. I decided to add the insurance to buy more time to decide if I want to keep it or not.

You can always cancel the insurance next month or when you feel you don't need it, but if you don't add it now its too late.

What I like about the insurance is the fact I can walk into Sprint and get a new phone if necessary. With the Palm warranty, you have to send it off. I use my phone too much (work and personal) to have to wait two weeks for it to be repaired.

And like was stated, you will not get your corporate discount for the insurance.

Rick
    I just skimmed through this thread and didn't see this mentioned.

Sprint offers 3 levels of insurance. Two $4 plans (ERP and ESRP) and a combined plan which is the $7 TEP.
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse.../tep_chart.jpg

From here

I ended up going with the $4 ERP. I don't see any real benefit to paying for the extra ESRP features. "Mechanical failure" is included in your warranty, "wear and tear damage" is very unspecific and I'm not even sure what "routine maintenance" my treo will need. In any event, the ERP covers loss/theft, physical damage and water damage which are the most likely things that are going to happen, all with the same $50 deductible.

So why not save yourself $36 a year by just getting the $4 ERP plan?
    Get the insurance.

I have replaced my Treo 7 times. 650 to 700p to 755p. Sometimes it was a phone failure, and twice I dropped it. I have never had to go through the insurance company, just the Sprint Store. They happily replaced my phone with a reconditioned, or new phone (upgraded me twice, becuase they were out of the replacement model) for FREE, EVERYTIME.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    EyeBaller,

With the ERP plan you will allways have to pay $50 to get you phone replaced (only twice per year).

With the Total plan or ESRP plan if you bring your defective phone to a Sprint store and they can't fix it they will replace it for $0. Yes you can always say that you phone was lost or stolen but you will be charged $50 and you can only do that twice per year.

All insurance is a gamble.

Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    EyeBaller,

With the ERP plan you will allways have to pay $50 to get you phone replaced (only twice per year).

With the Total plan or ESRP plan if you bring your defective phone to a Sprint store and they can't fix it they will replace it for $0. Yes you can always say that you phone was lost or stolen but you will be charged $50 and you can only do that twice per year.

All insurance is a gamble.

Rich
    I see.. so there's a slight benefit to it, personally I still don't think the extra $36 outlay is worth it, all you are "potentially" saving is $14 or $64 if you use it twice. And hopefully nothing happens to my phone more than twice a year!
    Stop thinking about it, spend the 7 dollars.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
    What I like about the insurance is the fact I can walk into Sprint and get a new phone if necessary. With the Palm warranty, you have to send it off. I use my phone too much (work and personal) to have to wait two weeks for it to be repaired.
    Well - to be more accurate - you can drop into a Sprint store and get them to APPROVE a replacement. Although the current "refurb" 755 replacement phones are exactly the same as the ones Sprint sells in the store (NOT coded "refurb") - they inventory them differently and usually need to have them shipped to the store (hence, a wait).

Just had a bad 755 rear it's head and the wait time was several days for the replacement phone to get shipped to the store (one of the two corporate stores with technicians in a huge metropolitan area filled with people who buy Treos).

So - if you rely on your Treo for business (or any other reason) there's a solution to having a phone until your "replacement" comes - but it's dumber than a box of rocks. After they determine your phone is hosed, they order your (brand new) phone from the insurance company's inventory at Sprint. Then they may "allow" you to "purchase" a brand new replacement phone from the store to use until your replacement phone comes in. When your "insurance" replacement phone comes in, they will activate it and then you "return" the phone you had to buy to make it a few days. The "returned" phone you used for 5 days goes to get refurbed. It's wasteful, but that's linear corporate planning at it's best.

Why in the world Sprint doesn't just keep a few "loaner" phones around is waaay beyond me - but if they're taking my service fee and insurance I expect to have a way to use the service, especially when my 2 month old insured phone spontaneously dies. Waiting five days without a phone is not an option nowadays - these companies have been pushing to make that a reality (where are the pay phones?) and yet where is the service after the sale?

The main point I'm rambling to is that if I didn't have the insurance I'd have been without a phone for as long as it took to nail down who's responsible for the warranty (Sprint and Palm will play ping-pong with your brain over that), as well as wait for a week or two until the warranty replacement comes via pony express.

The stores and customer service give you MUCH less headache when you've paid for the insurance - for that alone I'm willing to part with an additional $84 per year per phone. Still it would be nice to have a few "insurance approved" replacements in the store, and/or just convert the codes at the store level.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    I see.. so there's a slight benefit to it, personally I still don't think the extra $36 outlay is worth it, all you are "potentially" saving is $14 or $64 if you use it twice. And hopefully nothing happens to my phone more than twice a year!
    Yup, take that gamble. $400-600 for replacement hardware if you drop or lose it, vs $84/year (plus $50 if you break or lose). And wait until you find out your warranty's useless...

Ahhh, "honoring" the warranty - both Palm and Sprint screwed me around over the well documented "weak keyboard key" issue that they claim happens "only" when you drop a phone (I didn't, the case doesn't lie) and was hence NOT covered under warranty.

Though I had insurance it would have been $50 max if their unlikely position won. In your situation without insurance they would fight you even harder over an obvious manufacturer's defect, and you might need to take them to small claims court or pester them into oblivion just to get your warranty claim honored.

I'd NEVER own a Treo without having insurance to back up the lame warranty "protection." Never, never NEVER. Life's too short to fight those bastards alone, and repurchasing a $600 phone because they decided a manufacturer's defect isn't a manufacturer's defect is not a fun discussion.

But if you feel lucky, roll the dice and report back in a few months...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Yup, take that gamble. $400-600 for replacement hardware if you drop or lose it, vs $84/year (plus $50 if you break or lose). And wait until you find out your warranty's useless...

Ahhh, "honoring" the warranty - both Palm and Sprint screwed me around over the well documented "weak keyboard key" issue that they claim happens "only" when you drop a phone (I didn't, the case doesn't lie) and was hence NOT covered under warranty.

Though I had insurance it would have been $50 max if their unlikely position won. In your situation without insurance they would fight you even harder over an obvious manufacturer's defect, and you might need to take them to small claims court or pester them into oblivion just to get your warranty claim honored.

I'd NEVER own a Treo without having insurance to back up the lame warranty "protection." Never, never NEVER. Life's too short to fight those bastards alone, and repurchasing a $600 phone because they decided a manufacturer's defect isn't a manufacturer's defect is not a fun discussion.

But if you feel lucky, roll the dice and report back in a few months...
    If you actually take the time to read my post you will see that I in fact state that I do have insurance but I don't have the $7 TEP but the $4 ERP. I was just mentioning this other option which I believe is fine for me, and as relgin pointed out, does have a slight disadvantage which is what I am taking a "gamble" on.

My phone is covered if I drop or lose it.
    Best $7 bucks of my Sprint bill. I am proud and happy to say I am still on my original purchased 700p for almost a year and a half. My wife on the other hand has sanned two phones in the last year and it feels quite good to just walk into a Sprint store or repair center and get a new or refurb free of cost both times. These devices cost too much without subsidy...no insurance is not an option IMHO.
    at&t iPhone3G
    My 755's keyboard began going south last week. The lower left keys would requre several, sometimes numerous firm presses to activate. This was annoying to say the least and I had trouble making calls or sending messages. I dropped by the Sprint store yesterday and they replaced my keyboard in half an hour (it was difficult to be without my phone for that long. Maybe I am addicted?) There was no charge because I had the insurance. I work with chemicals and water and I've lost phones before because of my work environment. Ahead of me in line was a fellow without insurance. He was handed his phone in a box in pieces. He's SOL because his phone got wet. I think about the added expense of the protection sometimes but I stick with it because I know I'm covered if something goes wrong.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123