Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Seriously, what a coincidence that they sent those (I got one too!). Sucks but with the SERO plan its still cheaper than any other plan, and I have insurance.
    True, true. SERO is nice.
    This is my first post on Treocentral so "Hi" to everyone.
    I just picked up my first Treo (755p) off of ebay because my wonderful little A900 took a trip thru the washing machine last week. I have been with Sprint for many, many years and have gotten insurance on every phone I've had and I've never once used it.
    So.....this time I thought I'd be a smarty and NOT get $7 a month insurance on my $99 phone. So in less then a year I had to go cell phone shopping and at full retail yet!
    So yeah I would say the insurance is worth it. The $50 deductible is alot easier to take than the non-discounted price.
    And as far as Sprint insurance and Treos go, it is sticking in my head that Palm doesn't let Sprint do repairs so therefore replacements for Treos are always new and not refurbs. Again, I don't recall where I got this little tidbit from and it it is completely untested by me but it would be interesting if true.
    Sprint DOES do repairs on Palm devices and replacements are usually refurbs.

IMO if you own a $579 piece of equipment that studies show that 1 in every 3 purchased (all phones not just treos) are damaged beyond repair within 12 mos and you aren't willing to protect the investment for $84 a year you are either very well-off financially or a FOOL... I can take a $50 hit in my budget one week, but $580...fugedaboudit!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  4.    #24  
    I added the $4 repair plan last night. I may change to the $7 plan though.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    Sprint DOES do repairs on Palm devices and replacements are usually refurbs.

IMO if you own a $579 piece of equipment that studies show that 1 in every 3 purchased (all phones not just treos) are damaged beyond repair within 12 mos and you aren't willing to protect the investment for $84 a year you are either very well-off financially or a FOOL... I can take a $50 hit in my budget one week, but $580...fugedaboudit!!
    A FOOL for not taking it? Thats a little harsh. I think people WITH insurance tend to treat their phones with less respect and don't care if they break them, which probably skews the #'s. As I stated, 10+ years with Sprint for my wife and I and I have never broken or lost a phone. I would have paid nearly a grand for that coverage all that time. I could break TWO Treo's and still be even.

Its a matter of how you treat your equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I think people WITH insurance tend to treat their phones with less respect and don't care if they break them,

Its a matter of how you treat your equipment.
    I couldn't dissagree with you more. I feel that people with insurance care more about keeping their phones like new. I know that every phone I've ever had could be taken for new when I was done with them. I have the insurance for most the reasons stated above....Treo goes bad...drop and break it, etc.

Here's a photo of some of my older phones I have lying around. Some are probably over 20 years old or so. Find a scratch on any of them. I gave others away and sold my old Treos & Kyoceras.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RickMG; 07/26/2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I couldn't dissagree with you more. I feel that people with insurance care more about keeping their phones like new. I know that every phone I've ever had could be taken for new when I was done with them. I have the insurance for most the reasons stated above....Treo goes bad...drop and break it, etc.

Here's a photo of some of my older phones I have lying around. Some are probably over 20 years old or so. Find a scratch on any of them. I gave others away and sold my old Treos & Kyoceras.
    I guess I just don't agree with that reasoning. What incentive do you have to take great care of your phone if all you need to do is pay $50 to replace it? YOU may take great care of it, and I would argue if none of your phones have a scratch on them, that you are indeed wasting your money because you take great care to make sure you don't break the phone. Why would most people care if they scratched their phone if all they need to do is drop it on the cement and go get a new one?

People without insurance may ALSO not care, but they are probably people who replace their phones frequently as well to have latest model/color/feature.
    I

you are indeed wasting your money because you take great care to make sure you don't break the phone. Why would most people care if they scratched their phone if all they need to do is drop it on the cement and go get a new one?

People without insurance may ALSO not care, but they are probably people who replace their phones frequently as well to have latest model/color/feature.
    Well, two things. First, insurance doesn't work that way. You don't get the latest model or color when you have a claim. You get a refurbished unit exactly like you had, color and model, unless they are no longer around (which they almost always are). Second, I don't make sureI don't break the phone. Insurance is for accidents, loss or the phone going bad. I want my phone to look like new for the same reason I try and be neat and clean everyday, and I value my belongings. I have the insurance because the Treo is an expensive piece of technology that has more to go bad than the average cell phone, and should I break or loose it, it doesn't cost me more out of pocket than $50.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Well, two things. First, insurance doesn't work that way. You don't get the latest model or color when you have a claim. You get a refurbished unit exactly like you had, color and model, unless they are no longer around (which they almost always are). Second, I don't make sureI don't break the phone. Insurance is for accidents, loss or the phone going bad. I want my phone to look like new for the same reason I try and be neat and clean everyday, and I value my belongings. I have the insurance because the Treo is an expensive piece of technology that has more to go bad than the average cell phone, and should I break or loose it, it doesn't cost me more out of pocket than $50.
    Its not $50, its $50+$7 x month.. We'll agree to disagree. Its all a gamble.. to me its not worth the money, to others it is..
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Over my many years I've replaced at least 4 through insurance. No hassles. Worth the piece of mind unless yer rich.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
  12.    #32  
    I generally share the same thoughts on warranties as Crimson does. I have added the $4 plan since I have to make a decision in the next 3 days. I'm still on the fence about it, but this buys me more time and I can upgrade to the TRP@$7 in the future if I want to.

Anyone have the $4 plan? It seems like everyone sprung for the $7 plan.

Rick
    Insurance is a safety net that you have to decide is worth your money. You may never need it and realize that you've spent a large amount of money on something you never needed. On the other hand, you may break your $500 phone and get it exchanged for a working one free instore if you have insurance. I've done this twice so far (once with a 700wx and once with a 6700). Both times I got a brand new unit in store (not refurb).

It's a gamble either way and its your decision to make. I don't buy extended warranties, but I think the insurance on my Sprint phones is worth if for me. I also have health insurance that I pay a ton for and get little usage out of because I'm in good shape and rarely get sick or hurt. However, I have no intention of cancelling it because its there if I need it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    State Farm has this thing called a Personal Articles Policy... other Insurance Agents might offer something similar.

I insure my $1600 laptop and my $600 phone for one payment of $50/yr. WITH NO DEDUCTIBLE. I think it might have gotten bumped up another $10 because I changed to 755, but I didn't break/lose 650... so I'm gonna have to talk to them. Either way, it beats $7/mo right off the bat, not to mention NO DEDUCTiBLE, and LAPTOP'S INSURED TOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    If you have a discount through Sprint (I have a 23% discount), the $7 gets discounted as well. With the Sprint SERO plan and insurance, my plan ends up being around $33.51 a month.
    I just got a memo from Sprint (in postcard form) that discounts would be applied to the insurance any more (or at least the discounts I had).

I don't have it any more so I can't quote it. It might not be SERO or COURTESY (long term) or BUSINESS. I figured I'm paying it either way. They've been good to me on my replacement....

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I don't think its worth it.. I only paid $199 for my 755p
    But what will a new one cost?

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike View Post
    Those would be better analogies if (most) people weren't required to have auto and homeowners insurance. It's not like we have to ponder that decision.
    You do get to ponder how much coverage on your car $250 (or $5000?) and things along those lines. And that can make a big difference.

The easy thing on Sprint is it's all or nothing...

Gary
    Shouldnt there be like a manufacturer's warranty from Palm? at least one year?
    Ok i am just 3days before my 30 days run out and still havent decided yet on Insurance.

Concerns:

like my previous post, isnt there like a manufacturer's waranty that should be able to at least repair the Treo if something happens to it?

is there any official word on whether Insurance is also discounted (have employee discount too)?

You think how long will the treo 755p model last? you think they will still have stock a year from now? was thinking maybe i can get the insurance, and probably if palm comes out with a Linux Treo sometime next year i can get that instead of the 755p. what you guys think?
    on insurance... I started out with a Treo 300 I bought off ebay for $180. I added the insurance at that time, thinking I'd never need it. But since then, I've had that one replaced thrice at no charge for various issues, eventually getting a brand new 600. Same thing there, headphone jacks would die, would stop vibrating, or do it constantly, so I got upgraded to a 650. Long story short, I'm on my 13th Treo, it's a 700, and I ONLY paid for the first one. I'm not particularly hard on them, only ONE had a problem I caused, and I'm not even sure about that. (Took it off my waist to make a call and the entire screen was a bluish gray color!). So say what you will about the insurance, in MY case, it's been well worth it. By comparison, my girlfriend doesn't have insurance on her account, and I've had to BUY her two phones outright. So rather than buy another one, I canceled her contract, paid the ETF, added her line to my account, and INSURED it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast