1.    #1  
    Gurus,

I've just purchased a used 700p as a replacement for my 650p. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a refurb due to a small barcode sticker on the back. My current 650p is a refurb unit and has the same little barcode sticker on the back - a sticker that my original new unit didn't have.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. Does a sticker on the back indicate a refurb? Is there any reliable way to tell if a unit is or is not a refurb?

Thanks
    B
    ##786# ..but there's nothing wrong with a refurb.

palm fully tests their units before sending the refurb to the customer anyway.

...but you bought the phone used..so if it works, it works. -no big deal in my opinion
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I think it's #*#786# for Verizon phones.

Actually, there's about a $50 premium for non-refurb 700ps on eBay, and my 650p refurb was definitely sub-par in subtle ways (slightly slower in switching apps, more dropped calls, etc). I was looking for a clean used and non-refurbed phone in the hopes of not having to deal with these issues again.

Cheers
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    ##786# ..but there's nothing wrong with a refurb.

palm fully tests their units before sending the refurb to the customer anyway.

...but you bought the phone used..so if it works, it works. -no big deal in my opinion
    I wish this were true. I had 2 replacements (refurbs) 1 did not work immediately out of the box. Both were exchanged at actual Sprint stores.
    The first one was never able to connect to their network. The tech kept telling me the standard line "it should be active in 4 hours".
    Never did. Gave it back to them, and said I'll be back in 4 hours. It didn't work.
    The next one (had to wait 3 days for it), was bad right out of the box. Would not power up with battery, or plugged in.

Refurbished can = crap.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I just recieved a replacement for one of my sales people and checked the RTN screen. It says life timer 0 minutes and life data 0 minutes. Are we fairly sure that means this unit is new, or does palm reset the timers? Also...this phone has 1.10. Does flashing the rom wipe the timers?
    Refurbs always work better for me than the original. I always expect a refurb within a month or two.
    not sure what you mean by that
    Refurbs generally are like new. However, one I just got recently did not work out of the box. But still, I wouldn't have a problem with one.
    I've now had 3 palm refurbs due to the MR fiasco

#1 Reception MUCH worse than original phone
    #2 Screen yellowish tint, bluetooth problems, somewhat better reception
    #3 Weak vibrate, loose stylus, but good reception

So much for quality control
    there is nothing differant in a refurb phone then a brand new one. Most likely the phone was just returned because the person didn't want it, or maybe it wasn't what they wanted so they sent it back. There is nothing software/hardware/signal difference in new phones/refurbished. What ever you may think is different its just your imagination. Ive seen the process and Ive had refubred phones with out issue. If you think its shower then your first just hard reset it. You probably just have higher expectations with the refurb phone.