Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As I was getting out of the car today, I dropped the 6 week old 755 onto the concrete driveway. The screen is intact, but there are several scratches on the corners and a couple on the top front silver face of the phone. I'm sick, being as anal as anybody about the damn phone. I ordered a skin for it 4 or 5 days ago, too, which would have helped. Anyway, the phone works fine. So if anybody else isn't sure about dropping their phone out of an SUV onto a cement driveway, I can tell you there's nothing to worry about.
    Hey thanks. I was also wondering how they work after they get wet too. Would you mind?????

Seriously, sorry about your misfortune. I hope you have the insurance in case some trouble does show up somewhere down the line.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    My T650 had taken quite a few beatings until I got my T755p yesterday (which I love). Good to know the potential for 755 abuse is there too
    Glad to hear the Treo is still functioning fine. I feel your pain about the scratches. It bugs me when face grease is constantly on the screen.

Would insurance get you a new device? Up to a limit, I view mobile devices as sort of disposable and they will get banged up.

Rick
    SUVs are not only dangerous to cars and pedestrians, but also Treos.... yikes!

I feel your pain - I've bashed more than one Palm/Pilot device into car doors and such - those cracked screen bills get expensive. I basically go naked with the 755 (brilliantly, no case fits into the Palm cradles) and continually have the concern that odds are it'll make contact with pavement one day. Another reason to buy the $84/year insurance - about the cost of a good case, and the Treo sizes change every year anyhow!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  6.    #6  
    Hey Rick, I may draw the line at dropping it in the pool... But who knows, the way my luck's going lately.
    Longhorn, I don't think insurance would kick in for scratches, that would be too good.
    Now Joad, leave the poor innocent SUV out of it, it was my fault. I do have the insurance, but I'm sure this is not a 'claimable' event.
    I'm actually doing much better than I thought I'd be, there are moments in the day when I'm not acutely aware of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Hey Rick, I may draw the line at dropping it in the pool... But who knows, the way my luck's going lately.
    Longhorn, I don't think insurance would kick in for scratches, that would be
    Don't worry about it. This was posted on another thread here talking about getting the insurance:

Quote Originally Posted by pjvegi View Post
    One week after purchasing my 755p it went for a swim. Well, I guess I helped it a bit. Anyway, $50 isn't cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new phone again. The insurance probably is a rip-off, but so is house insurance. Both seem necessary to me.
    I guess he answered my question.

-
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    That was my thread. I'm still debating the insurance.
    "Glad to hear the Treo is still functioning fine. I feel your pain about the scratches. It bugs me when face grease is constantly on the screen."

I fret over every little smudge and scratch too. Regarding the face grease on the screen, I've started flipping it over so the speaker is on my ear and the screen faces out. No more face grease. And anyone I'm with can see who I'm talking too. After I started doing that (over 1 year after getting my 700p) I realized that was probably how it was designed to be used IMHO.

One of the things I like about the Treo is the process of discovering new ways to relate to it. Lots of fun in a little package.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    As I was getting out of the car today, I dropped the 6 week old 755 onto the concrete driveway. The screen is intact, but there are several scratches on the corners and a couple on the top front silver face of the phone. I'm sick, being as anal as anybody about the damn phone. I ordered a skin for it 4 or 5 days ago, too, which would have helped. Anyway, the phone works fine. So if anybody else isn't sure about dropping their phone out of an SUV onto a cement driveway, I can tell you there's nothing to worry about.

That's why they make cases. Hope that convinces you to at least get a cheap one off ebay.
  11.    #11  
    d1hamby,
    I have a holster, but I had made a call that required me to 'punch 1 for customer service, etc.' so I just set it on the seat between my legs. Forgot it was there and it came out of the car with me. Oh well, I'm almost over it. This phone won't get much on Ebay when it's time to go, I guess.
    Who insures Sprint? I know ascurion insures verizon and they replace phones for ANY reason, but yo only get two claims a year. I got the 700w and it fell out of the case 3 days after I purchased it right onto some gravel, phone was fine but seeing scratchs on a brand new device I paid retail for wasn't going to fly, so I called them and told them exactly what happened and after paying the $50 deductable it was shipped next day and I was back to a brand new 700w
    My Palm Treo 700w was a snitch
  13.    #13  
    dangottreo,

Here are the details on Sprints insurer:
    "Once a replacement request is approved by lock\line, your device will be replaced quickly and easily. You will be shipped the same or comparable equipment of like kind and quality with similar features and functions to your original equipment as available from the authorized fulfillment center. Replacement devices may be refurbished.

The Sprint Equipment Replacement Program is insurance underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company (CNA) and administered by Asurion Protection Services (Asurion Protection Services Insurance Agency, Lic.#oOD63161), a licensed agent of CAN. Sprint Equipment Service and Repair Program is administered by Asurion Protection Services or one of its affiliates. See a Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection brochure for complete terms and conditions of coverage, available at www.sprint.com or any participating Sprint location. Terms and conditions are subject to change. May not be available in all states. Eligibility varies by device."

My concern with replacing the phone would be that I'd get stuck with a refurbed 755, though.
    Last edited by kgilbertsen; 07/22/2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Now Joad, leave the poor innocent SUV out of it, it was my fault. I do have the insurance, but I'm sure this is not a 'claimable' event.
    Yes, it is a claimable event. The insurance covers theft and unintentional damage - as long as you're willing to pay the deductable you will receive another one (most likely brand new). The fact it's working lets you use it until you receive the replacement, and you might have to look at the contract details to be sure the damage warrants a replacement - but the insurance is there to cover you in exactly this sort of event.

Sorry, nearly got wiped out by a phone-toting woman in a Lincoln Navigator the other day (didn't even seem phased she's a weapon of mass destruction, she slowly returned to her lane apparently never skipping a beat in her conversation).... I'm still suffering from PTSS.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  15.    #15  
    Well, it's a moot point. I just called Sprint and they tell me the insurance wasn't added when I purchased the 755 - which I told them I wanted. And insurance can only be added within the 1st 30 days after activation (It's been about 40 days for me). Oh well.
    I did the same thing. I often place the Treo between my legs when driving. Then when go to get out of the SUV, down goes the Treo - Crash. It bounced and flipped about 2 or 3 times before coming to a stop. I had scraches on the coating and plastic side where the mini-SD and Beam port are. The scraches in the coating are gone now. The scatches on the plastic (tip near beam has minor pin size nicks. On the lower tip are the cluster of scraches which are bad but not too bad.)

It looks like the 755p can take beatings much better than the 650 could. The 650 had chips all over the finish over time.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    The scraches in the coating are gone now.

It looks like the 755p can take beatings much better than the 650 could. The 650 had chips all over the finish over time.
    I don't know if it's me or the Treo, but the scratches are much less noticable after a few days.
    so how does the rubberized coating seem to handel the scratches?
  19.    #19  
    Greg,
    As I said in my last post, it seems that the scratches are a bit less noticeable after the week or so since I dropped it. I really don't know if it's due to the rubberized coating, or if I am just used to looking at it the way it is. My guess is that it is a little of both.

By the way, I just received my ShieldZone skin for the 755 (wish I had it 2 weeks ago), and will probably put in on in the next few days or so. Anyone have any particular installation tips for this Treo?
    Well, it's a moot point. I just called Sprint and they tell me the insurance wasn't added when I purchased the 755 - which I told them I wanted. And insurance can only be added within the 1st 30 days after activation (It's been about 40 days for me). Oh well.
    If it were me, I'd call Sprint Retentions (say "cancel service" at the voice prompt) and discuss the situation with them. My vast experience with Sprint (probably the same with other carriers too) is that they mess up a LOT when setting up accounts and features. I usually expect about 6 months of screwed up bills every time I renew a contract with Sprint, and they rarely let me down.

If you told them to add insurance and they didn't - you don't know until you actually see your invoice that the rep screwed up, and by then you are past the "30 days." Retentions can easily override this (they dropped, then added, then dropped insurance again for someone I set up with Sprint - 4 months later they were still able to fix it). Some magic words are "I ordered insurance when I signed up for this contract, and I'm sure there must be a way for Sprint to correct their error and add it onto the account without the inconvenience of canceling service." They always claim to be "recording for quality and training purposes," so since they refuse to give you ANYTHING written to confirm the contract until you see your first bill, if they still refuse to fix the insurance addition then ask them to pull up the recording and go over the terms and services you both agreed to.

Be nice but firm. If you get someone who whips the "can't do anything after 30 days" line on you, say "thank you, goodbye" and call back to get someone that can. It's THEIR mistake, and if you ever need that insurance (you eventually will) then you'll be sorry you didn't push the issue now.
    Last edited by Joad; 10/07/2007 at 01:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast