1.    #1  
    I am a Sprint Treo 755p user running Good Mobile Messaging v4.9.3.21_EN. I also have Lightwav installed, for what it’s worth.

My problem was that Good had hijacked my Palm contacts and replaced it with the Good contacts. Caller ID would not work. I could not look up a contact from the phone app. I could not automatically add a contact after receiving and concluding a call using the “do you want to add a new contact” option. Even when I went to applications and selected the Palm contacts, did a look up and concluded the call, Good would take me to the Good contacts page instead of back to the Palm contacts so that I could, for example, dial the same person at a different number. Instead of all of these functions, I got the dreaded Good contacts page.

I tried GoodGuy's solution on this thread and I had to do a hard reset because my Treo would not Hotsync after I deleted "Contacts".

SOLUTION — I followed the advice of two users who posted comments on this page. Look at the following posts: John on December 28th, 2005 at 2:55 pm and Dan on January 9th, 2006 at 8:19 am

I modified John’s advice with Dan’s advice and that did the trick! I followed John’s steps and like Dan I noted that on the Treo 755p the “Creator” of the GoddAddressBookApp is listed as “PAdd”. Like Dan, I changed to “PAd1″, and it worked perfectly. No need for a reset.

Here is what I did and I am quoting from John's post other than the "PAdd" revision:

1) Obtain the FileZ program from: http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml (This is a free file manager program for the Palm OS that gives you access to many hidden files and databases within the Palm OS.)

2) Load the filez.prc file on the Palm device, either through HotSynching or through OTA Software Distribution.

3) Once you’ve loaded the FileZ program on your Palm device, run the program.

4) Click on the View and Edit Files button.

5) Make sure you have the ROM checked off in the upper right, files are filed by Creator Name just below that, and then click on the ‘Internal’ drop down arrow.

6) Once you have clicked on the Internal drop down arrow, you will see a list of all your files and databases on your Treo ROM.

7) Scroll down until you see the Files and Databases under the Creator Name of ‘addr’. You will want to look for the GoodAddressBookApp file and the AddressDB file. The GoodAddressBookApp file is GoodLink’s Address Book and the AddressDB is the native Palm Address Book.

8) Check off the GoodAddressBookApp entry and hit the Details button.

9) You will then see the details of the GoodAddressBookApp. In the details, change the Creator name of the GoodAddressBook from "PAdd" to something else, perhaps "PAdd1". Once you’ve changed the name. Hit Save and exit the FileZ program.

10) You have now made the native Palm Address Book the default Address Book/Contacts program on your Treo. This is the program that the Palm OS will use to tie into its hardware. All Hot Buttons will default to the native Palm Address Book, and features like Caller ID will only work with entries in the native Palm Address Book. You will now be able to access the Palm Address Book through the Hot Button in the Phone Application and the GoodLink Address Book through the GoodLink Home Screen.

Palm contacts are now my default contacts. All functionality is restored AND I can still use the Good contacts when I am in the Good application. Best of all worlds.

A small personal note: F*** you to Good for not making this a check box option in the Good application and for making me waste hours of time to get to this point. (Yes, I know that John's post above was quoted from a Good tech support email) No offense GoodGuy, you seem like a good guy and you represent your company well. I like Good otherwise. Thank you to the people who posted here and elsewhere who helped.
    Good knew about this problem in 2003 but they have refused, since the day they got into business, to respond to any customer suggestions, complaints, anything. It is pretty much the least responsive software company in business. Reminds me of Real Player back in the day -- took over your whole computer, customer unfriendly, etc.

Comparing their software -- which is expensive as hell -- to free or almost free programs like Chatter, Snappermail, and even (amazingly) Versamail shows how inferior they are. Now of course they are a different type of provider, but why can a guy working out of his garage produce a product a million times better than Good?

We'll see if the next version and it's promised improvements change things, but it is quite late for Good. They have used virtually the same product for 4 years now! Unheard of in the software industry. And their product is still riddled with bugs and crashes.
    Darkelf, you are my hero. Love my new 755p but was so frustrated with lack of access to my contacts, callerID, etc. Your instructions were clear as crystal. thanks!
    Wait until 5.0 is out. Good does a one way sync of all the contacts to the native contact application, thats if your good admin allows that.

and this maybe a problem for alot of people but life is still good and good is still better than a BES.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    AT&T user with
    Treo 650
    Treo 680
    Treo 750 WM6
    BB Pearl
    BB 8310
    BB 8820
    Good Mobile Messaging Admin
    ver. 4.9 and 5.0 with 1535 users
    BES Admin
    ver. 4.1.4 with 1457 users
    iamluvinlife...when you get the chance, please IM me as I would like to hear your thoughts on 5.0, good and bad.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 08/02/2007 at 09:35 PM.
  6. WDW
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    iamluvinlife...when you get the chance, please IM me as I would like to hear your thoughts on 5.0, good and bad.
    And then we would like to hear Good's thoughts on when they will announce an actual release date for 5.0. I am sooooo tired of hearing that 5.0 is going to fix things. We have been hearing that since January. This is an excruciatingly slow process, Good!
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    Target release date is end of September.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamluvinlife View Post
    Wait until 5.0 is out. Good does a one way sync of all the contacts to the native contact application, thats if your good admin allows that.

and this maybe a problem for alot of people but life is still good and good is still better than a BES.
    Just wanted to clarify... that this works for WM devices... however on the Palm one... doesn't work as easily. they make the GMM contacts available through an API but not the Palm native contacts.... palm users are still kind of out of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    Just wanted to clarify... that this works for WM devices... however on the Palm one... doesn't work as easily. they make the GMM contacts available through an API but not the Palm native contacts.... palm users are still kind of out of luck
    I followed the steps in the first post for my Treo 755p. Worked great! Thanks for the awesome tip.