Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    hey gents,

i called them about 1.5 months ago and they sent a replacement. how nice

so i know i have not been a regular here, partly b/c the more i read, the more i wanted to throw this POS verizon 700p against my wall. so after i downloaded the first so-called patch, my 700p would:

- freeze for no good reason
    - get stuck in the contacts menu more than before the patch
    - more dropped calls that would soft reset. imagine trying to conduct business with that happening

my wife, who is the primary on our account and who also set us up with verizon one (all services in our home are verizon including dsl and a phone line), got fed up and gave it a try. well, suffice to say, she was successful in getting me a blackberry 8830 for $200 (after rebate and 1 yr extension on my current contract). but she had to monkey around with 5 differnet people before someone was kind enough to forward her to ***verizon wireless customer care***. the verizon wireless cc rep was most helpful and actually had a 700p that she jettisoned too for very similar reasons. so i think the learning point here is make sure you ask who you are talking to becasue you could be dealing with the wrong person who has no vested interest in keeping you happy. also, go through the steps they require so that they can satisfy their criteria for swapping you out. i know its frustrating because many of us know the soft and hard reset procedures out of necessity, but play by the rules, be patient when talking w/ the verizon people, and hopefully you will get lucky and they will swap you out.

my parting words to Palm: Go #### yourselves. thanks to your lackluster response to the entire palm 700p community, i will never, ever buy one of your products again and i will continue, when possible, to relate my experience to anyone who asks me "What do you think of the Palm ____". i could care less if it is the best of class products and spits out sunshine and puppies everytime you press a button. your customer service and support is abysmal. you guys blatantly lied to the 700p community and had no shame in abandoning us and supporting newer models before us.

...where's the middle finger icon?

somewhat parting words to Verizon: acknowledge the problem and be upfront with your customers. if its a turd, acknowledge its a turd. do you know my wife and i have options with our dsl, landline and wireless? combined, we spend around $250 per month for our combined services (iirc). dsl is price competitive with cable modem, we dont really need a landline, and wireless...the cost to switch is negligible. bottom line is that we got lucky that we spoke with a sympathetic rep who acknowledge the problem, didnt shuck and jive us eddie murphy style, and kept us happy by switching out my phone. and you guys need to do your due diligence before signing contracts with Palm and selling your customers garbage.

thanks for reading and allowing me to vent. good luck to you all. and if anyone would like to buy my Palm leather case, an extra wall charger, and a treoantenna.com antenna for $40 shipped, please contact me at bobykim at yahoo.com. treoantenna and wall charger works perfectly and the palm leather case (flip up, horizontal leather case) is in very good condition too. i'll clean and condition it with my leatherique leather cleaner and conditioner as well before shipping!

Thanks,
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Same here. I didn't even know about it until a second tech support person caught the first tech support person's error.
    LOL @ "error". Since phones are cheap and numbers are portable, mobile phone companies live and die by extending your contract at every possible opportunity. Could be an "error", but I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Update on my situation: 3000 Errors again today. Verizon will be getting another call from me this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobykim View Post
    also, go through the steps they require so that they can satisfy their criteria for swapping you out. i know its frustrating because many of us know the soft and hard reset procedures out of necessity, but play by the rules, be patient when talking w/ the verizon people, and hopefully you will get lucky and they will swap you out.
    Best advice on the thread, right there. ^ You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Today, I will make the effort to get them to replace the 700p with something else, since the replacement 700p has all the same problems. Either that, or just get them to let me out of my contract so I can either shop with them as a new consumer (lower phone price) and/or shop around for other options. I'll post results.
    heavy doody, et al:

palm will exchange for free a replacement palm at their cost to verizon and then to you. it's refurbed, but its free. that is b/c the warranty on the hardware is 1 year. if you have the asurion plan, its $50. so if you are going to want a replacement and go through the motions, better do it within a year so you don't get billed for the replacement. this is not a secret technique or anything, this is their policy and part of palm's warranty plan.

and as if anyone would knowingly lie about their 700p problems i swear, the 700p...you could probably make up some far fetched story and they've probably heard it or assumed their POS would possibly behave that way.

oh i lied too: when i get my blackberry 8830, i'll post in the blackberry subforum and give you guys the low down after a few weeks. i wont give you guys the "honeymoon period" review

bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bobykim View Post
    heavy doody, et al:

palm will exchange for free a replacement palm at their cost to verizon and then to you. it's refurbed, but its free. that is b/c the warranty on the hardware is 1 year. if you have the asurion plan, its $50. so if you are going to want a replacement and go through the motions, better do it within a year so you don't get billed for the replacement. this is not a secret technique or anything, this is their policy and part of palm's warranty plan.
    Actually, they've already replaced mine... Twice.

First time was about a year ago. I did a roaming update and it bricked my 700p. They sent me a new one.

Last week, they sent me a new one because of the MR issue.
    Okay, here's my story. Had my Verizon 700 since last Oct. Worked great with 1.06.

A few weeks ago, the speaker stopped working. The headphone jack was messed up like the headset was plugged in but it wasn't. (That issue has been a random problem for some.) So I got a new (yes, new) phone as a replacement with 1.10. Worked great for two weeks, then the same problem with the speaker and false headset (Weird the same problem, but it did it even with a hard reset.) Called Verizon yesterday. "Yes, I did a hard reset," I told them. Then the guy asked me if I had installed any software. I said no, not after the hard reset. He said no, before the reset, because "software could cause such an issue." I said of course I had installed software, but with a hard reset, it took it all out. He said, "the software I installed could make some changes in the phone software." (Ha-Ha) I said, you mean it could change the rom files and he said yes. (ha-ha-ha-ha). Well, to his credit, he didn't argue and got be a replacement going.

Got the replacement today and found that it was really a refurb, made in May 2006. The test data sheet that came with it said everything passed. So i tried to activate it and couldn't hear anything, not even with the speakerphone. So, apparently the same problem as the phone it was replacing. I said to myself, "I've got to have a witness." Went to the Verizon store and of course, the tech couldn't hear anything from the earpiece. Did a hard reset (I showed him how) and still nothing. He went in back and talked to his manager and said they would give me a new one from their stock. (He would have given me a 700 with WM, but I still wanted Palm) So he activated it and gave it to me. I checked and found it had 1.06. I think I'll keep that for now and see if an update for 1.10 comes out.
    After being a Palm user for over 10 years and Treo user since the 600, I made the switch and got a VZW BlackBerry 8830. With my discount and complaining, rebates, and account credits, it was essentially free. Of course, the new accessories and software will cost a lot, but I could no longer stand the instability of the Treo. I love all the extras, but I needed a reliable cell phone and reliable email connectivity, and it was no longer there. I will miss Sling Player and several other items, but I'm at that point in my life that I want a little stability. The promises of what should or will be have worn thin.

Of course, if this new relationship doesn't work, I'll come crawling back to my 700p before a month is up.

Can you hear me now, Palm?
    To GAPOST:

I think the correct terminology for some of your quotes is:
    <Nelson> Ha-Ha</Nelson>.

To LNoble:

Yes I can agree that there is a period "Honeymood Period" when buying anything especially when you use the hell out of it. I can't wait to hear your report. I have a blackberry 7520 which work gives me. I could upgrade to a 8830 on Cingular but then I will lose my GPS capabilities which is Crucial for my work since I travel all over the country very frequently. (I have telenav and it totally does the job). At least you can migrate all your info from Treo to a Blackberry. I've done it since my phone started acting up I stopped using my Treo altogether and using my blackberry.

As far as the other people regarding the disallusioned non issue of the data problem by Palm:

They aknowledge its an issue. Working between Verizon and Palm I've spent not too much time being the tennis-ball on both courts. Mr. Level 3 Palm guy does acknowledge it. They've had a meeting regarding it and says they are working on the fix for this issue which somehow does involve working with Verizon. If Palm took a very pro-active role in this it would be great.. Though im no where near holding my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    To GAPOST:

To LNoble:

I could upgrade to a 8830 on Cingular but then I will lose my GPS capabilities which is Crucial for my work since I travel all over the country very frequently. (I have telenav and it totally does the job).
    I think the AT&T (Cingular) 8830 does have the GPS and navigation capability. At least that's what my office told me when they tried to get me to switch to AT&T. (They support VZW and even Palms, but would prefer everyone was on the same sysem and have a deal with AT&T.) It's VZW's 8830 that doesn't have it.

I will report back on my new relationship with BB. We're going to spend some quiet time at home tonight getting to know each other. (This sounds a little too strange.)
    Update: They're sending me another 700p. "If" I have the same problem with it, they'll replace it with another phone of equal or lesser value. Straight from the rep's mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post
    Update: They're sending me another 700p. "If" I have the same problem with it, they'll replace it with another phone of equal or lesser value. Straight from the rep's mouth.
    What # phone will this make fro you.. and who said what.. who's the rep.etc.etc.etc.
    After a series of update-related data problems, Verizon said this morning that they were replacing my 700p. A couple of questions, then: how do I tell if its a refurbished phone? and, should I be concerned if it is a refurbished phone?
    OK, after being away from this forum for a few weeks I just read through this entire thread hoping that eventually a fix would be posted for the corrupt 1.10 MR update. But of course that is still not the case, screw Palm and Verizon. Looks like a Blackberry is in my future if this is never fixed... I hate the blackberry!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProMed View Post
    OK, after being away from this forum for a few weeks I just read through this entire thread hoping that eventually a fix would be posted for the corrupt 1.10 MR update. But of course that is still not the case, screw Palm and Verizon. Looks like a Blackberry is in my future if this is never fixed... I hate the blackberry!
    Did you read through my other thread about my BBB complaint? I think i stated some very obvious concerns. I also have a work issues blackberry and you know what. it ISNT as bad as you think. its a learning curve but its so dam stable its crazy.
  15.    #115  
    Palm just took down the update for the VZW 700p today!

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...e/verizon.html
    They took down the update, but post-dated it July 12, 2007.
    One word

EPIC!!!
    So they obviously knew it was "corrupt" yet took them 20 days to pull the update?

WTF
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    somebody please sue palm...I am tired of this crap. There must be plenty of lawyers on the board. I'm not looking for a fix at this point. I just want palm to suffer for all the bs they have put us all through
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    noodle:

If you google out there.. its been done before with the 650 line. Until i get my situation resolved with the BBB and then some I will think about it. I'm sure this is resting on alot of peoples minds. Heavily with some more than others... Time will tell.