Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Has anyone else ran into issues with BT DUN with USB Modem not working anymore with MR 1.10?

Monday I downgraded to 1.10, had a few issues, like the active sync calendar problem which I quickly fixed. The two first things that I checked were USB Modem and TomTom Navigator, both worked flawlessly, in fact better and faster than before. The only remaining issue was the annoying DTMF tone while in silent mode and the noises the phone makes while turning on the phone in silent mode, which I have not seen discussed here. Incidentally, Wednesday evening I had a period of time where the DTMF tone went away, but I noticed when I dialed a call that I could not turn the speaker phone off and the sound was terrible. Turning off the modem/phone and back on fixed this and brought back the DTMF tone. I noticed Tuesday or Wednesday that sometimes I was having problems in 1X, but not too bad. I called Verizon and had my data plan reset (turns out that all the guy had me do was to soft reset and do *228 1 and did not delete and re-add my plan). All of a sudden yesterday I could no longer use USB Modem at all and attempting to use it disabled data in the phone until I turned the modem/phone off and back on. I would get the check your username password error. This would be after a modem error in BT or an authentication error on USB. If I attempt a connect from BT without USB Modem enabled I get an auth. error, but it does not disable the phone.

Now after having Verizon reset my data and a re-install of USB Modem I can now connect with USB, but not with BT. I have tried this in 3 different cities yesterday and today with the same results, so I don't think it is a network problem in one particular area?

I find this very strange that this worked fine for 3 days and now mysteriously does not work anymore. I hope that someone else is seeing the same problem.

BTW - I run a Intel Mac and also have the Verizon connection software, which last night for a period of time was the only way I could get it to connect.

Anyhow, I've E-mailed Mobile-stream about the problem and thought I would ask here as well before I call Verizon and add the tethering option (which I have never needed, USB modem has always worked for me).

tannks
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I finally resolved this (sort of). Turns out that I had disabled built-in BT DUN with USB Modem a few versions back. I did not know how the phone was even working after the MR, it should not have been. Anyhow, I removed the BtDunMgrLibStub database that USB Modem installs to do the disable and then was able to use either USB Modem (USB or BT). Prior to this I applied the BT DUN hack and got the phone working flawlessly with that method and I could still use USB Modem for USB support. If I disabled built in with USB Modem I could then use the BT support in it. I did not know that if you disable built in you must re-enable it prior to ny new version of USB Modem being installed on the phone. Apparently the new version did not know that it was disabled. Even stranger is I thought I was running version 1.58 (latest), but I was running 1.56. So again the mystery is why it was even working post MR. Ver. 1.56 is not compatable with a 700p with the MR since it is essentially the same as the new 755p? and requires the new code.

However Saturday while trying to resolve another issue my Treo went into an endless restart loop and I had to hard reset and restore my data. I had further problems (related to trying to fix another issue) and decided to nuke the whole thing, reapply the MR and restore. I have it back up and working, but tethering is not near as stable as it was right after the MR and for 3 days after before it mysteriously stopped working. I now routinely have to beat both the phone and my MacBook Pro into submission in order to get BT tethering to work, however USB through USB modem seems pretty consistent, but pretty inconvenient with the cable.