1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm seriously considering a convergence device, having tired of carrying around my Axim X50v and my phone. I've always had a soft spot for the PalmOS, and being a Mac user I can also relate to the simplicity of the operating system.

However, I am a bit unsure of the inner workings of the T680, and specifically, it's apparent lack of multi-tasking ability. First off, I am definitely not a power user - however, there are a few things that I will definitely be using it for, namely:

1. watching various DIVX files off of the SD card with TCPMP.
    2. using either Chattermail or Blackberry Connect for push e-mail capability.
    3. frequent use of SMS.
    4. configuring reverse dial-up networking to access my LAN for internet access.

My question is, how will all these interact? For example:

1. if I am watching something with TCPMP and I receive a call or SMS, can I easily switch over and then resume watching from where I left off?

2. can I have Chatter or the Blackberry Connect application running (and waiting for e-mail) while I am watching something with TCPMP? And again, can I easily switch over when I receive an e-mail?

3. if I am using BT and reverse DUN to access my LAN, how will that impact the receipt of calls or SMS?

Hopefully these don't pose serious problems - although I imagine I have taken the multitasking ability of WM for granted.

Any help is appreciated!

Ash.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtangi View Post
    1. if I am watching something with TCPMP and I receive a call or SMS, can I easily switch over and then resume watching from where I left off?
    I think so. It's really how the App is written. PTunes resumes. TOMTOM GPS resumes or has to be restarted manually but then resumes your navigation.

2. can I have Chatter or the Blackberry Connect application running (and waiting for e-mail) while I am watching something with TCPMP? And again, can I easily switch over when I receive an e-mail?
    Chatter was really well written with background operation in mind. However, the media player app is the one that has to know how to handle this. Can someone test and confirm.

3. if I am using BT and reverse DUN to access my LAN, how will that impact the receipt of calls or SMS?
    SMS almost always comes in regardless of what you're doing.
    Voice calls: someone else can answer. I don't remember and don't have a Palm OS device near by.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/20/2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Internet connections are temporarily put on hold when an inbound call comes in. You answer. Talk for a while. Hangup. Then resume browsing directly or on your pc using pdanet.
    For simultaneous voice and data on the go, the Treo 750 is schweet! You would just have to be in a supported area.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    It's not as though the current application is the ONLY thing the CPU is doing. Palm can't simultaneously run any program, but there are ones that are written specifically for background operation, such as Chatter, PTunes, and many utilities such as Butler, etc.

Most Palm applications will resume where they left off. I assume TCPMP would do this as well.