1.    #1  
    I need to upgrade and can go to a 650 or 680 - is there any big difference (aside from the fact that the company only has a red 680) but features-wise how do they measure up? My thought is 680's better but not sure.

thanks
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    oh wow. many people will say otherwise because the specs are nearly identical, but the Treo 680 is what the 650 should have been.

its nice to walk around with around 24-32MB free instead of 2-3MB free like I had on my 650. Its also nicer with less freezing and all apps match, Palm branded, not PalmOne/ ACCESS, etc.

The new camera, media, etc apps are really nice. having certain needed programs in the ROM such as pTunes and a streaming limited version of kinoma is really nice! The audio buttons on the left side are sooooo much easier to press, and the fact the SD card is tucked away is a godsend! (lost two 1GB SD cards before).

I would go for the 680, its a MUCH more pleasurable Treo experience! Palm got me back with the 680, otherwise I would have jumped ship after having my 650 for over a year and a half. =]

what carrier you on?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    The 680 is better than the 650 in all important respects except for power--and in that respect it is substantially inferior, and to those who want to use it fully, it is a real burden. But if you can put up with having to recharge much more often than the 650, and perhaps if the Seidio 1600 mah battery is successful, you may find the 680 is far superior to the 650.
    Audio loudness is a definite improvement on the 680. Even with the patch, the 650 was hard to hear in noisy places.
    But the other posts are correct. Battery life is a big negative on the 680. I'm happy if I get a full day of moderate usage.
  5.    #5  
    thanks so much for the info.
    I've now been through 4 680s and none of them had audio as good as the 650.
  7. kwf
    I'm still using the the same Cingular 680 I got this past December as a replacement for my Cingular 650. Volume is better, internal antenna, much more free memory and lighter. The few resets that I have encountered came from 3rd party software that has since been fixed by each software vendor. With the issues that I had initially it was still better than my 650. All of the worst issues that I encountered with the phone itself were resolved with the recent Cingular update. Is is perfect? In a word no, but I still would not go back.
  8.    #8  
    I am having an issue with the audio on the 650 - I simply can't make out what someone is saying on the speakerphone or regular handset if I'm outdoors. The 600 never had that problem. So it sounds like the consensus is that the volume is better on the 680? That might tip the scales, because the power problem doesn't help much if I can't hear a voicemail.

thanks a lot everyone.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    the 650's audio sucked now that ive owned a treo 680. its light night and day, i would NEVER go back to the 650. ever!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    This is a classic example of 2 device's specs vs actual function. Outside of battery life the 680 is superior in every way I can imagine. Most obvious are ...
    #1 Tons more free memory = liberation!
    #2 Completely new Broadcom phone hardware. It's actually a decent phone too.
    #3 NVFS memory architecture is now robust enough for a stable and consistently responsive device. You won't see the dbCache on a spec sheet, but it's a huge matter in device function.
    #4 Improved and updated software suite. Do you really want to start out with 4 year old apps?
    #5 No more billboard sized ugly stick protruding thru the top. Not to mention other physical improvements like weight, thinness, comfort in hand, and better buttons everywhere. Yeah, the beast had character, and was nice for a belt case puller handle, but added a lot of awkward size to the device. New antenna and silicone actually has superior reception and clarity.

... but the general user experience is soooooo much better. Don't dare digress to the outdated 650. Had both and it's not even a contest.
    Patrick Horne
    I have had four 680s and the sound is no better, and at times worse, than the 650. As to all those figures, reality is something else. It's true there are lots of practical advantages the 680 has over the 650, but the difference in practice isn't quite the heaven the above post implies. It's better in most ways, not in all, and it frustrates plenty of users. Let's just say there's room for improvement--oceans of room.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    The 650 will also get a signal where the 680 cannot, I was with a friend, me on my 680 him on 650 both cingular(at the time) he could get a signal I could not, this was inside a high school basement.
    The 680 has a much updated version of Blazer (the web browser.) That's enough reason alone for getting the 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    The 650 will also get a signal where the 680 cannot, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    The 680 has a much updated version of Blazer (the web browser.) That's enough reason alone for getting the 680.
    Basically, if you accept these two comments as representative, it means you are faced with a choice: what you rather get on the web with the former Blazer whenever you want, or would you rather have a new much improved Blazer but be limited in when you can use it.

My point is that it's really not a question of one phone being clearly superior to the other, but of the need to make a compromise in choosing a phone which is not ideal.

I would opt for the 680 (and not because of Blazer!) as would most (but not all) people, because the compromises favor the 680 for me. But that's a whole lot different than saying the 680 is clearly better than the 650 in every area except its power defect. There are quite a few drawbacks and failures wth the 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    The 650 will also get a signal where the 680 cannot, I was with a friend, me on my 680 him on 650 both cingular(at the time) he could get a signal I could not, this was inside a high school basement.
    I don't mean to be adversarial here, but my experience has been exactly the opposite of this observation. My 680 has had a better signal everywhere (on the same carrier) than I was able to get with my 650.

And by the way, I completely agree with Patrick (LiveFaith) -- it's not a contest for me, either -- I would never go back to my 650, period!!
    Aside from the anecdotal nature of your report, it could be due to a lot of factors, including environmental (signal strength) changes. The side by side report by ktm97 is a bit (though obviously not a whole lot) more reliable. Not having my 650 side by side with me and relying only on memory, like you, I can't say for sure whether my reception/transmission is better or worse, but it does seem like my wife's 650 does do a bit better in that area.