1.    #1  
    I feel like a moron asking this. . .

I have been using Palm software since 2001, and i love that I can go back to old appointments and go back that far - but i don't need all that on my phone and syncing takes forever every time because it is going back to the beginning of time each time. When I see purging records in the manuals it seems like it purges it from BOTH the phone and the computer.

Isn't there a way to just have your phone have your last few months of appointments and your computer have it all?

Also, when I add one new contact is there a way to avoid the whole thing having to sync? I see the Send ot Handheld option (I'm on Mac) but I don't know what to set sync setting to just make it sync new items and not go back through everything. If there's a reference for this I'd much appreciate as I'm not having luck finding it on my own.

thanks so much
    enzosf
    It's called archiving. Palm Desktop and Outlook have archiving. Read the help section for how to archive old items. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    Hmm. I tried archiving the computer, and then purging on the palm, but because it syncs with the computer it rewrote all the appointments again.

I do need ot get into the archive fairly frequently and it isn't just a file-open task (it's greyed out when I do File ---> Open in Palm). So there isn't a way to have your computer hold everything and your phone only hold a certain range because once you sync you either lose everything old on your computer (apart from archives) or have everything old placed back on your Palm?

I do need access to old records pretty frequently but usually not on the phone. I'll just live with the crazy long sync times if i must.

thanks for the refs. If there was a link in that earlier post I couldn't find my way to it.

thanks again
    enzosf
    I use Outlook. I have it set to automatically archive periodically to an archive file that I access easily by having it as a folder in my folder list. I can actually display my current calendar and archived calendar at the same time in Outlook '03. I do refer to my archive from time to time. My treo, which syncs to my active outook calendar, only has records from the last two years. My archive calendar has all my records since I started with PalmOS in 1998.

I'm not at all familiar with Palm desktop so I don't know if it's able to do what Outlook does. Also maybe after you archive Palm desktop, try setting hotsync to 'desktop overwrites handheld.'
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!