1.    #1  
    All right, let me just ask that you keep any response to my questions in laymans terms. I am not a programmer or hacker or anything of the sorts...just a guy that wants to read his email without too much hassle.

1. I have a Gmail account. What is the easiest way to get it pushed to my 700P? I got a mail2web live account, but I think if I install the EAS update, I won't be able to sync over the cable at my office. See below.

2. At my office, I use outlook mail. I currently hotsync with the cable every day. I don't have the option to setup activesync through my corporate server. Is there a way to push messages and appointments to my phone?

I suppose that the solution to my problem needs to consider that I have BOTH Gmail and my corporate email that I would like to get pushed to my phone.

Can anyone help? I know there's a thousand threads on this but none seem to be identical to my situation.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Goodlink will solve your corporate mail. The other one, you need to forward your pop to a push email service. I don't know who they are(since I don't use them)but, someone here will.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have my email forward to a free AOL IMAP account, then use Chatteremail to retreive it. Works great.
    Push is nice, but it's not the only way. You can simplify things by just having Versamail (or Chatter) retrieve your email at specific intervals, as frequently as you want it to. With multiple accounts, it does work on your battery a bit, but I have Chatter (Versamail will do the same thing) call for emails every 5 minutes or so during the day, and it works just fine. If your work server will not allow activesync, you may be forced to use Chatter to get your Outlook email over the air.
    My particular slution involves forwarding my gmail to an email account that supports IMAP (I happen to own a few domains with support for IMAP email accounts so it's a no brainer). But if you don't, you can register for a free account at fastmail (or pay a little for a premium account). Then retrieve from that account with Chatter (my personal favorite). Gmail's spam filtering is great and the solution is free or very low cost.

Corp email is another issue that you should check policy on that before forwarding or syncing with a mobile device.

HH

It's not a name, it's a state of mind!"
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    Goodlink will solve your corporate mail. The other one, you need to forward your pop to a push email service. I don't know who they are(since I don't use them)but, someone here will.
    I've been looking at the good.com site, and it appears that this is an enterprise solution. The company uses blackberry devices. I have a palm which is not supported by our IT group, although they do allow Palm software installs and syncing with a Palm.

How will Goodlink solve my corporate email issue? Which software do I need? Good Mobile Messaging? Good is now owned by motorola and they only have options for Good Mobile Intranet, and Good Mobile Messaging.

Thanks,
    Jim
    If your company doesn't support webmail/exchange -- generally this is larger companies with secure email networks -- then Goodlink is basically your only solution for true push email (other than Blackberry Connect for Palm). There are work arounds but as a rule they are a pain. If your company doesn't have Blackberry, though, it may not support Goodlink.

Goodlink requires your IT department to support it and it is quite costly (license fees and monthly user service charges, similar to Blackberry).

Goodlink has huge negatives. In addition to being very costly (compared to the free or very cheap programs like Chatter/Versamail/etc.) it is absolutely a terrible program that is light years behind the other email solutions. Chatter is loaded with features and personalization. Goodlink hijacks your phone and is completely devoid of real personalization and worthwhile features. You can't even do attachments. Customer service is non-existent. Still, it is the only solution for many people. I have not used Blackberry Connect -- I assume it is better than Goodlink (would be difficult to be worse) but it is not available for the 700p, last time I checked.
    VersaMail on your Treo works fine with Gmail. Been using it for almost 3 years, and rarely had a problem.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Find out if your company has a goodlink server....then install it from your phone, with the key that your IT provides you...
    Matty
  10.    #10  
    My company does not have a good link server. And with over a hundred thousand employees, a good deal of them using blackberry, they're not going to change for me.

I need a program that will run on my desktop and forward my mail to my phone. Does that exist?
    I can't believe their exchange servers do not provide active sync. Someone need to install the latest MS service packs, and enable it. You could forward both your emails to a push email service. As far as the exchange, just create a rule in outlook to forward all mail to whatever. the problem is everything will look like it came from you. What a minute, are you with Sprint?
    Matty
    I think what he's about to say is that if you're on Sprint, you can use Business Connection from your online PC at work. I did it for years, until I got nailed by the IT nazis, who didn't think it was safe.

On Alltell, it's called Office Sync. I'm not sure Verizon has it. The company that makes it has a general release, I think it's called Seven.....

http://www.seven.com/products/consumers/index.html
    Last edited by davidra; 07/19/2007 at 01:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_arnau View Post
    My company does not have a good link server. And with over a hundred thousand employees, a good deal of them using blackberry, they're not going to change for me.

I need a program that will run on my desktop and forward my mail to my phone. Does that exist?
    If you have Sprint, they offer Sprint Business Connect. They have Enterprise and Personal editions. I used the Personal BC ($5/month) for a few years. A client app runs on your work PC and forwards the e-mail to Sprint. You can access the mail from your phone with the BC software or through the web using the Sprint website. The biggest drawback is your mail will only get forwarded if your PC is on and logged in. If your PC reboots (e.g. power outage, update pushed by your IT group), the BC software will not start until you log in. Some people set their PCs to auto log in, but that is not very wise if your PC is not in a secure location.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I think what he's about to say is that if you're on Sprint, you can use Business Connection from your online PC at work. I did it for years, until I got nailed by the IT nazis, who didn't think it was safe.

On Alltell, it's called Office Sync. I'm not sure Verizon has it. The company that makes it has a general release, I think it's called Seven.....

http://www.seven.com/products/consumers/index.html
    Davidra the mind reader, dead on dude.......
    Matty
  15.    #15  
    It turns out that I need to install Wireless Sync and setup an account.

Wireless Sync from Verizon comes with the PC monitor that redirects all of my outlook stuff through verizon's servers and to my phone.

The service also monitors Pop3 email and sends that along to the phone so both of my problems are solved, aside from the fact that both my work email and gmail get dumped into a single mailbox.

It appears that I will also still have to hotsync to get files and media from my computer to the 700p. That's fine, though. The important piece is that I can now get my corporate outlook pushed while out of the office.
    Glad your solution presented itself.
    Matty