1.    #1  
    I'm spending my vacation in Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, and there is no broadband access there. The battery in my 700p drains almost completely every day, even though I have turned off everything I can think of: bluetooth, IR port, email, etc. I have nothing running in the background. I've been changing batteries every morning, and using the spare battery charger to charge the other battery. In the past couple of days (I've been home, where there is EVDO) the Treo dies when I change the battery. It takes a couple of hours for it to wake up, and only then it will only do so when in the charging cradle.
    Any ideas? Would the constant battery switching do something to the charging circuitry? Is there any way to keep the phone on in a non-broadband area without draining the battery?
    Use the #*#EVDO# (Verizon) or ##EVDO# (Sprint) code to access a menu that you can use to force it into 1XRTT only mode. That should keep it from searching for EVDO.

As for the battery, I swap out the battery in my 650 every two or three days with no problem. Only thing to worry about is subjecting your batteries to frequent charge/discharge cycles (I rotate 5 batteries, so that isn't much of a problem for me).
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
  3.    #3  
    Robin, thanks so much! That was just the information I needed. I will pick up a couple of extra batteries.
    Question- how did you find the Verizon code? I did try a search, but I must have asked the wrong question.
    I'm from mytreo.net, and it's in our knowledge base. I fiddled around with the code when I first got my 700p, so that's why I remember it.

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/HashCodes

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Goodness! Do you talk that much on your phone? If not, there has to be something draining it that fast. I can go at least 2 days on a charge, sometimes more. Or does the searching for EV-DO do that? I think I'm normally in an EV-DO area, so I don't have that problem.
    Searching for EVDO can take a huge toll on battery life.

When I was using my Motorola E815, the battery wouldn't even last a day (at that time, I didn't have EVDO at my house). So, I used a hack to turn off EVDO, and the battery life was much better and could last up to a week.

I've never heard of (or seen myself) EVDO searching causing any excess battery drain over the radio itself trying to keep a connection. If this were true everyone in locations without EVDO would be screaming about bad battery life... However, a weak radio signal can drain the battery amazingly quickly (and the phone will be noticeably warm as it tries to stay connected). How many bars of strength are you seeing? If you have free roaming on your plan, try forcing it to roam and see if you get any better signal. If you can get a strong roaming signal you will be better off with that, and since you have no EVDO anyway, you can use 1RTT (on whoever you are roaming on) instead. The processor on the treo is so freaking slow I found (much to my surprise) that there wasn't a whole lot of difference in speed (in the browser) when EVDO wasn't available. Tethered is a completely different story though...

I don't understand why you have to wait for the phone to wake up after changing the battery though... You should be able to slap a new battery in then hit the power button for it to fire up.
  8.    #8  
    I don't understand why you have to wait for the phone to wake up after changing the battery though... You should be able to slap a new battery in then hit the power button for it to fire up.[/QUOTE]

For the first three weeks that was true- I would just put in the charged battery and didn't even have to hit the power button. However, I think Robin24K is right, and that the batteries may have been affected, because now it takes a couple of hours, and the phone has to be on a charger. I'm going to pick up a couple of fresh batteries today- but hopefully, with the help I've gotten here, I won't need to use them as much.

Thanks again, guys!
    Sideman raises a key question: when you are away from home, are you roaming a lot? When you're roaming continuously, the radio is always searching for a home signal. I spend most weekends in an area where all I have is roaming. My battery ran down about twice as fast as usual. Then somebody suggested switching the phone roaming pref to "allow roaming only" and my problem was solved. I just have to remember to reset it to "allow roaming" when I leave that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernilynn View Post
    For the first three weeks that was true- I would just put in the charged battery and didn't even have to hit the power button. However, I think Robin24K is right, and that the batteries may have been affected, because now it takes a couple of hours, and the phone has to be on a charger. I'm going to pick up a couple of fresh batteries today- but hopefully, with the help I've gotten here, I won't need to use them as much.
    The only explaination I can see for this is that your "fresh" batteries are actually dead to start with (the charger isn't working). Because if you have to wait a while with the new battery in the phone, in the charger, that means the battery is now being charged in the phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    The only explaination I can see for this is that your "fresh" batteries are actually dead to start with (the charger isn't working). Because if you have to wait a while with the new battery in the phone, in the charger, that means the battery is now being charged in the phone...
    I wondered about the same thing. If the Palm needs to be in the cradle for a while after you switch batteries, you need to look at the batteries and the charging system.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    I guess I must have worn out the batteries, or somehow damaged both. The chargers are working (I have one when I'm away, and a Palm cradle at home.) Yesterday I bought 2 new batteries, charged them both, and tried them in my Treo. The phone reset within 15 seconds, so all is now well. Hopefully, I will be able to switch networks now, and the battery drain won't be as awful.