1.    #1  
    I'm conducting a survey concerning hypothetical ways in which a hypothetical user could accidentally "brick" his/her post-MR POS POS 700p.
    I'd appreciate hypothetical thoughts or theories with the assurance that these would never be used in any manner that Palm or Sprint doesn't approve of or perhaps deserve.

Thanks for your hypothetical insight....
    --The Bear
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    (as long as this is only hypothetical...)

One method would be to (accidentally) drop the Treo in a bucket of cement.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    pull the battery/power halfway through an update
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Take a lamp cord and give it a good amount of 110 volts. LOL
    Matty
    Please send the bricked 700p to me so I can see if I can make a SD bootloader flash from it...

ie: you turn on the palm and its stuck in bootloader mode. If you put an SD card it will say "update rom?" (press up for yes, other key for no)
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Not sure why or how but if I don't have TealLock "Locked" using Resco Locker and try to load LauncherX I get a access loop.Had it happen to be two weeks ago. Also when Sprint was kind enough to replace my 700P with another I did a restore and did it again while in the store. They were shocked and gave me a brand new one. I didn't press my luck and loaded it from scratch.

The only change I had made was I tried running LauncherX again. So for now The stock Palm Launcher is my main launcher.

BTW: I did have to do the MR Update on the brand new one. The refurb had v1.10.

Kyle
  7.    #7  
    BTW a friend of mine's wife accidentally put his Blackberry into the microwave instead of a pot pie.If you know her, you wouldn't doubt it-- the air rushing thru her head sounds like a Cat 5 hurricane. She realized what she'd done after a couple of minutes but the phone wouldn't even wink at her, much less turn on and do its thing....

Case in point about her-- my friend was in the shower and asked her to pass him the Preparation H. She passed him the Ben-gay instead which he applied without looking. He says it was the first time he'd ever taken a shower upside-down!

Maybe the Hypothetical Bricker-in-waiting should lend her HIS phone, huh??
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBear View Post
    BTW a friend of mine's wife accidentally put his Blackberry into the microwave instead of a pot pie.If you know her, you wouldn't doubt it-- the air rushing thru her head sounds like a Cat 5 hurricane. She realized what she'd done after a couple of minutes but the phone wouldn't even wink at her, much less turn on and do its thing....

Case in point about her-- my friend was in the shower and asked her to pass him the Preparation H. She passed him the Ben-gay instead which he applied without looking. He says it was the first time he'd ever taken a shower upside-down!

LOL! That is funny as h*ll!
    Matty
    I'm on my fourth 755p from Sprint and can't figure out what's causing it to brick. By brick, I mean just show the "access" screen and NOTHING ELSE. Of course a 'hard reset' doesn't do anything.

I only had one silly extra app which is now gone.

I think it has something to do with Bluetooth, but can't prove it.

It would be nice if there were some debug tool that could help me, especially since I am starting over .... again.

Jeff
    Look into SafeGuard
    Quote Originally Posted by hjeffg View Post
    I'm on my fourth 755p from Sprint and can't figure out what's causing it to brick. By brick, I mean just show the "access" screen and NOTHING ELSE. Of course a 'hard reset' doesn't do anything.

I only had one silly extra app which is now gone.

I think it has something to do with Bluetooth, but can't prove it.

It would be nice if there were some debug tool that could help me, especially since I am starting over .... again.

Jeff
    700p is the same as a 755p. (hardware wise, but not 'look' wise) Since its your 4th 755p.. maybe you can exchange your 755p to a 700p and flash the 700 to 755 conversion.
    (Unless you don't like the look of the 700...)
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Re: using 700 as 755, seems pointless because I think its a fundamental software problem.

As for SafeGuard, it seems that may diagnose 'extra' app problems. I'm running the the basic built-in stuff.

My latest thought -- I think this starts happening when I start using more than one Bluetooth 'headset'. One builtin to my car, and one for walking around (or not in that car). I also have synced with a second computer using bluetooth, while the main computer uses the USB cable.

I could've sworn that the last brick occurred when someone was outside my office talking on a bluetooth headset. I went to send a picture via email and it just came back -- did not go into the email app. after a couple of tries, i decided it was soft reset time and -whoa! hard failure.

My bluetooth setting is "visible", so i've turned that off now.

How does one get in touch with *real* palm help?
    When I applied the MR for Sprint v1.10 last summer, my phone went into the Access screen loop. I was able to get out of the loop by booting with the phone radio disabled. Then I was able to hard reset and try again. The second time I applied the update, everything was OK (if you consider the bugs in the MR, "OK").

Try this to bail from an "Access boot loop": While holding "UP" on the D-pad, push the reset button in the back. Continue to hold "UP" until you see the "Palm" screen. For my 700p, this boots with the phone radio disabled. To re-enable the phone radio, perform a warm reset (just push the reset button). [Note: This is not a hard reset and you should not be prompted to erase all data. If you are prompted, you accidentally performed a hard reset. Select "NO" and try again.]

How do 755p and Centro users do this without a reset button? Does it work if you pull the battery and then hold "UP" while inserting the battery?
    It seems like I read on here sometime ago you could do this. Someone wanted to break their phone (IMHO, to commit insurance fraud) without voiding the contract. There is a sticker in phones that changes if the phone gets wet, so dunking the phone in a bucket may void some contracts. The microwave suggestion seemed to be less detectable (unless you leave the phone in too long and melt it). Personally, I would only do this to something I intend to destroy (or eat).
    I don't get into the 'access loop'; instead, it just sits in the 'access powered' screen forever and never shows the palm screen.

Believe it or not I sent an email to a top exec at Palm and actually got a response. I'm supposed to be calling them today to talk to some "real" support folks.

Hope that helps before I lose my 5th phone.
    I got the access loop while trying to apply a new app. It wouldn't let me hard reset or anything, until I removed the battery, held the button, and put the battery back in. After that I would get the hard reset prompt...I restored from backup and all is well.

Weird.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBear View Post

ROFLMAO wooooow, that shower upside down had me dying.....
    Quote Originally Posted by hjeffg View Post
    I don't get into the 'access loop'; instead, it just sits in the 'access powered' screen forever and never shows the palm screen.

Believe it or not I sent an email to a top exec at Palm and actually got a response. I'm supposed to be calling them today to talk to some "real" support folks.
    That is really odd. I have not had that problem (yet). I have heard some people on here say they had a problem (I don't remember the specifics of the problem) that could only be solved by pulling the battery for 30 minutes, or so. They said none of the resets worked, but pulling the battery and letting everything dissipate seemed to work. (Cannot hurt to try when all else has failed.)

Please let us know how things go with the "real" support folks.