Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone come across this error message while trying to stream podcasts with Kinoma? I am using a Sprint 700p with the latest version installed, and have been using Kinoma for 5 months without a problem until last week. Now, I get this message followed with "0x2A0F" whenever I try to open a podcast. I emailed Kinoma CS, but I think they are stuck now that they found that a simple soft reset wouldnt cure the problem. CS did ask me about my Streaming preferences, which are:

Register for streaming audio (Checked)
    Prefer to download to streaming (unchecked)
    Download to (Internal Storage)
    Stream RTSP using: (UDP)
    RTSP Port: (Default)

I have tried deleting it and reinstalling it to no avail. Anyone know of a cache that I can clear out or any other solution?
  2.    #2  
    The Kinoma CS had me look for a chached.xml file (maybe he mispelled it, so I checked for cached.xml as well) but I couldnt find it.
    I have had a similar problem with Eudora on my 700p. I would get an error saying something about not enough space to write to scratch pad even though I have around 40 Megs free. Using Filez I deleted the scratchpad file and that cured it. Maybe it is just a broken file.

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Has anyone come across this error message while trying to stream podcasts with Kinoma? I am using a Sprint 700p with the latest version installed, and have been using Kinoma for 5 months without a problem until last week. Now, I get this message followed with "0x2A0F" whenever I try to open a podcast. I emailed Kinoma CS, but I think they are stuck now that they found that a simple soft reset wouldnt cure the problem. CS did ask me about my Streaming preferences, which are:
  4.    #4  
    To fill in some details, it must be noted that I have always had external storage (SD card) until about a month ago when my 4GB went haywire on me. I am currently recovering the files on that before I re-format it and use it again. But I have been streaming material for awhile without that SD card, which means the material was saved on my internal storage.

Upon further consultation with Kinoma CS, it was determined that the proper file to look for is 'cached.flv', which I could not find. The fix was to pop in an SD card and have it go to external storage. I suggested that they incorporate an 'Empty Cache' option so that we can free up space whenever we want.

Now I have to figure out why its streaming very choppy...and everytime I pause it, it plays a second later automatically...! Any suggestions?
  5.    #5  
    Another update: after getting the streaming to work (still stuttering), I set my Streaming preferences to 'External Storage', since it kept asking me to use External Storage since the Internal was full. After I did that, it flipped the switch and would say that my EXTERNAL storage was full, and asked to store it INTERNALLY!! My 2GB (older card I have had for years) isnt even half full (says my Treo and the computer)!! WTF!!! So, I conclude that it cant be my Treo, since it has 19MB of free space and since the SprintTV works (uses Kinoma v1.something) without a problem. So I think its a bug or something with the program, and there isnt a problem with my storage. CS says there isnt any cache, but I'm skeptical since streaming is pretty much like web surfing (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), it stores the info in a temporary folder. Oh, CS also said that the cached.flv file I was looking for wasnt accurate.

Anyone at all with any insight?
    ...I have been streaming material for awhile without that SD card, which means the material was saved on my internal storage.
    Exactly. The reason that Kinoma Player gave you the "There is not enough space left on the volume" error in this particular case was because you'd picked something that was bigger than what could be stored in your available internal memory.

Upon further consultation with Kinoma CS, it was determined that the proper file to look for is 'cached.flv', which I could not find.
    That makes sense. Although Kinoma Player does cache content as needed, it's normally very good about cleaning up after itself.

Now I have to figure out why its streaming very choppy...and everytime I pause it, it plays a second later automatically...! Any suggestions?
    A few things can cause this. What specifically are you trying to play?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 07/18/2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: formatting
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Exactly. The reason that Kinoma Player gave you the "There is not enough space left on the volume" error in this particular case was because you'd picked something that was bigger than what could be stored in your available internal memory.

That makes sense. Although Kinoma Player does cache content as needed, it's normally very good about cleaning up after itself.

A few things can cause this. What specifically are you trying to play?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I'm trying to play my normal round of podcasts...CNET BOL (Buzz Out Loud), TWIT, Diggnation, DL.TV, NPR CarTalk, CNET Car Tech, CNET Real Deal, MacBreak Weekly, etc. These programs have streamed without flaw for the last 5 months before last week!
    ...it flipped the switch and would say that my EXTERNAL storage was full, and asked to store it INTERNALLY!! My 2GB (older card I have had for years) isnt even half full (says my Treo and the computer)!! WTF!!!
    Our support folks would be glad to work with you on this. If it were my device I'd guess that the contents of the SD card is corrupted somehow, especially since everything that has worked for you suddenly doesn't.

You'd think flash memory would be almost incorruptible, but unfortunately it's not. In the world of digital photography you'll find lots of apps that rescue photos from corrupted flash memory cards for this same reason.

I would use my card reader to copy the contents of my SD card into a folder on my PC, format the SD card with the Treo, and then copy everything back. Unless your SD card itself needs replacing, that will often fix corruption issues.

So, I conclude that it cant be my Treo, since it has 19MB of free space and since the SprintTV works (uses Kinoma v1.something) without a problem.
    Sprint TV uses Kinoma Media Embedded, which doesn't use external storage. Since it doesn't use the SD card, i isn't a useful indicator or whether something is wrong there.

...since streaming is pretty much like web surfing (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)...
    It's very different.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 07/18/2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: formatting
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Our support folks would be glad to work with you on this. If it were my device I'd guess that the contents of the SD card is corrupted somehow (especially since nothing seems to be working for you).

You'd think flash memory would be almost incorruptible, but unfortunately it's not. In the world of digital photography you'll find lots of apps that rescue photos from corrupted flash memory cards for this same reason.

I would use my card reader to copy the contents of my SD card into a folder on my PC, format the SD card with the Treo, and then copy everything back. Unless your SD card itself needs replacing, that will often fix corruption issues.

Sprint TV uses Kinoma Media Embedded, which doesn't use external storage. Since it doesn't use the SD card, i isn't a useful indicator or whether something is wrong there.

It's very different.

-- Charles Wiltgen

http://feeds.feedburner.com/kinoma.1.gif
    I have and still am in touch with CS (Kinoma Case ID: 34358), and I am trying to find a solution however I can, hence this post (also to help those who may have this problem).

1-My card isnt corrupted, as I use it in my laptop now after using it for a year+ in my 650 and 700p (before I got my 4gb, which did get corrupt and I have taken the aforementioned steps to recover my data). I have gone sans-card for a over a month, with no problems streaming media using Kinoma until last Thursday. I didnt say nothing works, because I can stream as long as I have external memory installed. The streaming is just choppy (stuttering) and I cant stream without the card.

2-Does Kinoma 4.2 use external memory by default? During the month+ that I was sans-card, Kinoma streamed fine, until Thursday. Obviously, it CAN stream (dare I say cache?) to external but it obviously doesnt have to.
    I have and still am in touch with CS (Kinoma Case ID: 34358)...
    Excellent. We definitely want to help get to the bottom of this.

My card isnt corrupted, as I use it in my laptop now after using it for a year+ in my 650 and 700p...
    Sure, but that doesn't mean it's not corrupted. Here's a similar true-life example...

Last week I helped a friend who was unable to copy an SD card full of priceless photos to her PC. She was distraught, to say the least. She could take and delete photos in the camera, but the card-to-PC copy always failed at a seemingly-random place. After an hour I tracked it down to a specific file in a specific folder. The lesson is that your card can work fine in one device, but still be corrupted in a way that some operations don't work properly in another.

You can probably try out my recommendation in a few minutes. It's just what I'd try first, and I can't promise that it'll work, but it'll shine a light on things either way.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 07/19/2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fixed typo
  11.    #11  
    Understandable. I still havent found out what caused my 4GB to go corrupt (hence the reason why its NOT back in my Treo or any other device). But that was easy to see, because it ate or deformed EVERY file on that card (mostly Backup files and mp3's) so do you have any tips on what to look for?

And is this whole point moot if it streams now? It only streams with the card inserted, even though its choppy (maybe a file can cause that?). Wouldnt Kinoma STILL work even if there wasnt external storage (it did for a month for me)? So why isnt it streaming (giving me the aforementioned error) when I take out my SD card?
  12.    #12  
    I thought I had my USB Card reader, but its at home. So I will have to wait till I get home to analyze my SD card for any corruptions.
    ...do you have any tips on what to look for?
    No, I'm afraid I don't. You can have a corrupted file system even if you don't have corrupted files, so this is one of the standard things I try if I have unexplained problems with any software that I think might be touching removable memory.

In some sort of cosmic coincidence, I had to do the procedure I recommended to you to my own SD card after I wrote that post! I haven't had an SD card problem in two years, but there you go.

It only streams with the card inserted...
    There's no connection that I know of between whether Kinoma Player streams and whether a card is inserted. Kinoma Player streams whenever possible (unless you've set your preferences otherwise), card or not.

In fact, this thread inspired today's Avoiding brain drain even mainly on a plane post to our blog.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I am also having similar problems with Kinoma since installing the Sprint MR. One thing I've noticed is that I ALWAYS have the small "download" icon next to the title area (as described in the Kinoma blog post referenced above) REGARDLESS of whether I have checked "Prefer download to streaming" or not. Also, I've discovered that the resume playback function hasn't been working either (in the past, this feature has only worked when you prefer streaming to download -- so I think these problems could be related).

By the way, I've tried numerous SD cards (including recently formatted ones). When I try to listen to a podcast without an SD card in the slot, it gives me the "not enough space left on the volume" error (again, maybe because it is stuck on this "prefer to download" setting?).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    I am also having similar problems with Kinoma since installing the Sprint MR. One thing I've noticed is that I ALWAYS have the small "download" icon next to the title area (as described in the Kinoma blog post referenced above) REGARDLESS of whether I have checked "Prefer download to streaming" or not. Also, I've discovered that the resume playback function hasn't been working either (in the past, this feature has only worked when you prefer streaming to download -- so I think these problems could be related).

By the way, I've tried numerous SD cards (including recently formatted ones). When I try to listen to a podcast without an SD card in the slot, it gives me the "not enough space left on the volume" error (again, maybe because it is stuck on this "prefer to download" setting?).
    Thank You!!! Someone else who is having the EXACT same problem as I! I tried telling the CS that that icon appears regardless, and that it doesnt resume where I left off in the podcast if I exit and re-enter kinoma! I am now performing a hard reset, sans the SD card, and reload Kinoma from the link (not just restoring it from backup) to see if anything is different. Maybe it is something to do with the MR, but I updated when the MR was 1st released and had no problems until last Thursday. I will keep you posted!
  16.    #16  
    Update:

I have performed a hard reset and have ONLY installed Kinoma (from a link provided by Kinoma, not from restore...I also do NOT have my card installed), and the streaming works without stutter or the error. It DOES still have the SD icon in the upper right hand corner. I checked the preferences, and 'Prefer download to streaming' is NOT checked and 'Download to:' is set to Internal storage. Those must be the factory defaults, and that's how I used Kinoma! Now, it still does NOT save where I left off in the podcast if I exit and return to Kinoma. So there must be a bug with Kinoma and the last release.

Charles@Kinoma, the balls in your court, as I have taken the corrupt SD out of the equation, as well as any faults with my Sprint Treo 700p.
    That's excellent CS on the part of Charles @ Kinoma. I have had such problems with SD cards and my Treos before. Always a good idea to back up the entire card to a computer HDD at least once a month. If there are any issues with the card, they'll usually be made known during the copy process from card to HDD.

In my experience, a single corrupted file on the SD card can cause unexplained Treo lockups and resets, even if you don't normally access the corrupted file in any way.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    That's excellent CS on the part of Charles @ Kinoma. I have had such problems with SD cards and my Treos before. Always a good idea to back up the entire card to a computer HDD at least once a month. If there are any issues with the card, they'll usually be made known during the copy process from card to HDD.

In my experience, a single corrupted file on the SD card can cause unexplained Treo lockups and resets, even if you don't normally access the corrupted file in any way.
    Yes, up until today, I have had great responses with both CS and Charles. Not a word so far, but I am sure they are scratching their heads just as I am after my findings today!

By the way, anyone know of a great SD card recovery program? I have tried F Recovery (or something like that) and Zero Assumption Recovery. The F recover seems to do just pics, and the Zero wont allow me to purchase it on their website. I would like the Zero, as its demo proved to be powerful and easy to use. Any suggestions? (this has nothing to do with this matter, as I have proven that its not the SD card)
    I have performed a hard reset and have ONLY installed Kinoma (from a link provided by Kinoma, not from restore...I also do NOT have my card installed), and the streaming works without stutter or the error.
    Good...yesterday you'd mentioned that you were hearing stuttering, so we might've fixed one issue.

It DOES still have the SD icon in the upper right hand corner. I checked the preferences, and 'Prefer download to streaming' is NOT checked and 'Download to:' is set to Internal storage.
    Here's a test for BMIC50 and anyone else who wants to try:

• Confirm that Prefer streaming to download is unchecked.
    • Go to Technology > TWIT > 105.

This should stream for you. In other words, you shouldn't see the SD/download icon (to the left of the Back icon), and the progress bar near the bottom should be completely white right from the start.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  20.    #20  
    I am performing a hard reset (again) so that I can try this. I reloaded everything to see if all of the previous problems would still be there (and they were). So now, I have to figure out if something is interfering with Kinoma. Any thoughts..?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast