Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This happened to me today. From a full charge to almost 20% in just minutes. Phone was also hot. I did a soft reset and it actually went up to 90%. Must be a software thing.
    Found this post trying to research this very problem. I originally experienced this on my 650, which had been working fine for about 2.5 years, the battery lasting at least 2 full days of my data/phone usage between charges. Then, one day, it started going from a full charge to dead in about 2-3 hours and getting very hot near the rear speaker. Took it to Sprint, and they said nothing was wrong with it. They were charging the battery in a cradle, and decided that my charger was defective. A new charger made no difference. After a few visits, they replaced my 650 with a 700P, covered by the protection plan. The 700P has been fine for about the last month, then started doing the same rapid battery loss/heating up as of yesterday.

I have no third party software, only the stuff that comes with the phone. I have a gmail account set up on VersaMail, and the Business Connect software connected to work. I get very strong signals and strong EVDO with the 700P everywhere.

With the 650, I bought a replacement battery, and the same thing happened. The original 650 battery tested out fine at Sprint, as well. I now have 3 perfectly good batterys and a phone that can eat through them in hours without even being used. If there is a fix, I'm willing to try it vs. dealing with Sprint, who doesn't have a clue.

Could someone verify what a "hard reset" means? I'm assuming that a soft reset = power down/power up and hard reset means pushing the reset button. Also, what software needs to be reinstalled? I don't seem to be installing the OS when I load software, just apps. Thanks.
    One more piece of evidence. I can't say if this happened with the 650, but the 700 started doing this immediately after I was in a location where I couldn't get a signal of any kind in strip mall basement for about 20 minutes. The first battery drain occurred the next day after an overnight charge, and has occurred every day since, despite reseting the device. I've been watching the device, and I do see the blue arrows next to the signal icons lighting up frequently, even when I'm not doing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by legot73 View Post
    Could someone verify what a "hard reset" means? I'm assuming that a soft reset = power down/power up and hard reset means pushing the reset button.
    Soft Reset = pushing the reset button/removing the battery
    Warm Reset = pushing the reset button/removing the battery + holding up
    Hard Reset = pushing the reset button/removing the battery + holding power
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Is there a fix or solution to the high speed battery drain on the 755p?

Have had my 755p about a week. Live just outside the high speed data network zone. Battery life is fine with intense use. About 60% loss in a day.

Go into the big city (inside high speed data zone) and the battery drains like crazy in a couple of hours. Same level of use.

Is there a way to toggle the high speed data connection on and off (which is great and the main reason I got the phone as well as being long time and somewhat satisfied palm os-er)?

Are there other solutions besides leaving Palm?
    So, all day yesterday and earlier today, my little blue arrows were lighting up occasionally, indicating they were transferring data. I followed the "hard reset" process described above, erased all data, restored from my pc, and it's back to normal. Not sure if that was a raindance or if it actually cleared up the problem, but it's fine now, and the blue arrows aren't lighting up unless I access the web.

The only catalyst to this I can think of is that I was out of any service range at my daughter's ballet school, and the problem occurred ever since. I'm curious if others affected get cut off by subway, tunnels, etc in the same way, and if the hard reset, erase restore (or any variant of it) fixes the issue.
    just want to follow this prob, just got the phone yesterday, happened to me once... thought it was a new battery issue.

Ben
    I went to bed with 70% and did not put my 700p on the charger and I woke at 3am and the phone was dead...first time this ever happened and it happened with my new Seidio 2600mAh battery...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Since my hard reset and reload, no battery problems on my 700p, and no random EVDO activity.
    I did the same and have had no issues as of yet. I am just worried being that the Seidio 2600 being the a newer model battery wasn't the issue.
    at&t iPhone3G
    may i add a couple data points to the battery issie?

i have 3 different chargers.....the usb cable and 110v charger that came with the phone and the sprint branded 12v charger

i am getting about 36hrs battery life (from full to 10%) EXCEPT if i charge with the 110v charger.....
    using the 110v charger, i get a green led, but if i check after removing the charger, i am between 94% and 96% full and am down to 50% in a couple hours (3-4).

if i charge to full (green led) with either the usb cable or the 12v charger then checking the meter after didconnecting shows 100% and i go 36 hours to 10%.

have been testing this for about 10 days now.......the 110v charger is going into the circular file!

another note, i am using sprint mobile email for palm, v 6.7.4.641 and if i use push there is no impact on battery life, if i schedule, battery life goes to hell
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwk75s View Post
    may i add a couple data points to the battery issie?

i have 3 different chargers.....the usb cable and 110v charger that came with the phone and the sprint branded 12v charger

i am getting about 36hrs battery life (from full to 10%) EXCEPT if i charge with the 110v charger.....
    using the 110v charger, i get a green led, but if i check after removing the charger, i am between 94% and 96% full and am down to 50% in a couple hours (3-4).

if i charge to full (green led) with either the usb cable or the 12v charger then checking the meter after didconnecting shows 100% and i go 36 hours to 10%.

have been testing this for about 10 days now.......the 110v charger is going into the circular file!

another note, i am using sprint mobile email for palm, v 6.7.4.641 and if i use push there is no impact on battery life, if i schedule, battery life goes to hell
    I will take those points into consideration...If I schedule battery life goes to hell for me too.
    at&t iPhone3G
    My stock battery drops (even after a hard reset) from 100% to 97% immediately after disconnecting it from the charger.

But if I reset, the % goes back up to >99% and then drops as expected.
    yep.
    TwilightZone $hit.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by krock View Post
    My stock battery drops (even after a hard reset) from 100% to 97% immediately after disconnecting it from the charger.

But if I reset, the % goes back up to >99% and then drops as expected.

So does no one see this same behavior any longer? Is it just my 755p?
    yep.
    I've had my verizon 755p for about a little over a month, upgraded from a 650 and have been a long time Palm user.

I started experiencing the whole battery drain due to constant EVDO communication problem. This happened about a week ago and it only happened while at work. At home I can keep it unplugged all night, and it would only lose 5% life.

At work though, my battery would go to 40 percent by lunch time and be warm to the touch. I've hard reset my phone about 5 times trying to fix this problem, but it kept coming back. This last time I hard reset while at work and once the phone came back up, the problem started right away.

So I thought I'd try calling *228 activation (for VZW) like I did when I first got the phone and so far it looks like that did something. I don't see the gray arrows constantly turn green which indicates EVDO communication and my battery isn't draining. I even used blazer and made sure I was connected to the network.

This is just a wild guess due to desperation. It's probably a coincidence that it's behaving now and the problem may reappear but I thought I'd share my experience. I'll keep ya'll posted.
    I had the same battery drain about a week ago - when it did drain the little blue arrows of the EVDO were constantly moving 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off - I called Sprint and they said they were have and EVDO problem - althought the problem towers were close - I still had a little coverage, as it was not a total outage.

So how do you stop the battery drain? Simply go to preference and tap the "network" then "disconnect" - I did that whenever I was done using EVDO.

I'm guessing the main problem is that the radio is searching for the EVDO signal but can't quite lock on so it continues to search which makes your radio work harder and drains the battery quicker. So simply shut it off via the "disconnect in preferences" until Sprint fix's the problem - then everything will be back to normal.

Luckily they fixed the problem within 10 hours. :-) I am a happy camper!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    So how do you stop the battery drain? Simply go to preference and tap the "network" then "disconnect" - I did that whenever I was done using EVDO.
    That might be *one* of the issues here - but I had two different Treos with two different software builds exhibit the drain issue - and they were on chargers and the voice/data radio was turned OFF. Also have seen the discharge happen with radio off and not connected to a charger.

I should say that I haven't seen this discharge happen recently on either device - it seemed to appear and then disappear without any traceable cause.

The Twilight Zone continues......
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I have never seen a direct response to this from Palm. My wife & I have seen this on our Centros. They have got to know something????

Palm, If you are to ashamed to respond in this open forum, send me a privae message.
    FastFrank
    There are two ways to fix the battery life issue (at least for sprint).

Manually (loses some functionality, like auto syncing):

1. Switch to roaming only network if you are in an extremely weak area where you will be switching back and forth between a weak sprint signal and a strong roaming signal.
    2. Disconnect you data network connection after you are done using blazer.
    3. Set your email client to manual sync only, and disconnect your data network connection after it's syncs.
    4. Set all automatic updates to 'off'.

Automatically:

1. Download Power Hero, and set it to automatically disconnect your data connection after it goes idle for a few minutes. This will allow you to leave everything automatic (like email and contacts syncing).
    2. Even if you get Power Hero, if you are in a weak sprint area (and going to be there for say a day or more), you may want to switch over to roaming only while you are in that area.

Another thing to note is that while in a strong sprint only network, leaving the data connection idle doesn't seem to drain battery all that fast, it's mainly when you are in a weak signal area. If you plan on even going into a weak area for even a few hours, make sure the data connection is off or you have power hero to automatically kill the connection for you.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast