Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
    I exchanged my 755 for a new one on Monday. The replacement unit does not constantly connect to the data network, and battery life is excellent. Fourteen hours off of the charger, with moderate use, and the battery is showing 75%. Big difference between this 755, and the first one that I had.
    Update...back in a non-EVDO area, and the 755 does the same thing, searching for data connection, as the first 755. Battery drain is excessive, and 50% of incoming calls go to voicemail, when it is checking for data signal.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    just to complicate things, if you use zlauncher it may continue to make sounds after you turn off your phone. I first noticed it a bit ago when my phone wouldn't hold the charge. it continued to make the power off sound after it powered off.
    My 700p did this for the first time about one week ago, and repeated the behavior again this weekend. And I have NEVER experienced this problem EVER.

I live in a non-EVDO area, but after about two hours in Indianapolis (w/ EVDO) and only checking my e-mail twice, my phone felt hot and dropped about 60% in charge -- and I noticed it looked as if the data arrows were active. I returned home and a week passed without problems.

This week I went to an area with limited Sprint coverage and again, the battery plummeted. Baffled...
    I've had my 755 for a couple of weeks with no issue and now it's been almost constant. It started happening yesterday afternoon and I performed a soft reset and plugged into my charger.

The phone was on the charger by my computer for about 4 hours while I was doing other things, at some point I noticed it had went green but I left it on. Eventually their was no green light or anything although the battery meter still had teh charging bolt.

I soft reset again, went to bed and left it on the charger. When I woke up the green light was still on. I did maybe 10 minutes of web browsing and went back to my 2day screen I was already at 93%. Within 30 minutes I was at 80%.

Each time the data bars have just been going and going and going.

The only thing I changed on the phone yesterday before this happened to me for the first time was to add some bookmarks to Blazer and I changed my default when I opened Blazer from "display last page" to "display bookmarks".

I somehow doubt that can cause it but I'm going to change it back to try.

EDIT: btw, I'm in a strong EVDO area.
    This has been happening to me on and off but yesterday, it happened twice and I am very concerned about the reliability of having battery life when you need it. I am wondering if Chatter might be causing the problem. Is anyone else using Chatter? I live in the Atlanta area so coverage is not an issue with me and I am in a EVDO area all the time. This is becoming very frustrating though.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Katahdin:

I had this problem and am using Chatter - I was going back and forth with their tech support for about 2 weeks on this until last weekend when they seem to have stopped looking at my issue.

I'm running Chatter 3.0.8 on a 755p, Sprint CDMA, connecting to MS Exchange Server 2003 with the EX plugins. I found that the Exchange connection was never getting to the "listen" mode where it's passive and saves battery life. Instead, it was stuck with the blue envelope icon in "connected" mode and constantly transmitting. This sucked my battery dry with no other use whatsoever in hours.

I discovered by accident that if I leave a message in the Chatter inbox to my my Exchange account, this doesn't happen anymore. I have no idea why, and Chatter was notified of this behavior and hasn't talked to me further, but it's absolutely reproducible, and it was the cause of my batter drain problem

Matt
    Wow...this just happened to me yesterday. I left work around 5pm with around 50% charge, and had to stop by my parent's house which is a 5 minute drive from where I work. When I got there it was at 17%. We then had to run to the car dealership 2 miles down the road, and right after we got there I pulled the phone out and it was completely dead. I pulled the battery out and put it back in to reset it, and it came on but had 1% battery life and shut itself down again immediately. It seemed to charge ok last night though and is back at 93% today.

I wasn't doing anything with the phone at the time, it was sitting in my pocket unused. I have the standard battery and have owned the phone for about a month (700p replacement).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I bought my 755p shortly after they came out, and definitely experienced this problem a few times. I went to the Sprint store and they replaced my battery, and I haven't had the problem since.

That being said, this isn't as conclusive as it sounds, because I also uninstalled Chatter the same day, which had been having some problems with our Exchange server when it was migrated to Exchange 2007... So, there's a distinct possibility that my battery draining was due to Chatter going haywire, and I never had this problem in the first place.

How's that for an inconclusive first post?
    For what it's worth: Mine hasn't done it, either, since my battery was replaced weeks, ago. I've never used Chattermail.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstreger View Post
    Katahdin:

I had this problem and am using Chatter - I was going back and forth with their tech support for about 2 weeks on this until last weekend when they seem to have stopped looking at my issue.

I'm running Chatter 3.0.8 on a 755p, Sprint CDMA, connecting to MS Exchange Server 2003 with the EX plugins. I found that the Exchange connection was never getting to the "listen" mode where it's passive and saves battery life. Instead, it was stuck with the blue envelope icon in "connected" mode and constantly transmitting. This sucked my battery dry with no other use whatsoever in hours.

I discovered by accident that if I leave a message in the Chatter inbox to my my Exchange account, this doesn't happen anymore. I have no idea why, and Chatter was notified of this behavior and hasn't talked to me further, but it's absolutely reproducible, and it was the cause of my batter drain problem

Matt
    Hey Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. I am also using Chatter with Exchange and the EX plugins. However, mine does get to the listen mode. I have also bought a new extended batter so I know it isn't due to a bad battery. The only conclusion is that it has to be Chatter causing this issue. When you say you leave a message in the inbox, can you clarify what you mean by this?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin View Post
    The only conclusion is that it has to be Chatter causing this issue.
    Not everyone who has this issue uses Chatter, so there's probably another answer.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    No chatter here, and the battery has been holding up pretty well so far. I am using the built-in versamail exchange push, and it works as promised.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not everyone who has this issue uses Chatter, so there's probably another answer.
    I am going to try to set mine up to sync every 10 minutes for a few weeks and see if this issue happens again.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin View Post
    Hey Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. I am also using Chatter with Exchange and the EX plugins. However, mine does get to the listen mode. I have also bought a new extended batter so I know it isn't due to a bad battery. The only conclusion is that it has to be Chatter causing this issue. When you say you leave a message in the inbox, can you clarify what you mean by this?

Thanks.
    Katahdin:

I normally keep my Outlook inbox fully clear - any messages there are things I still need to act on. Just a time-management thing. So my goal is a happy empty inbox.

If the inbox is completely empty, I'd get into the connecting-logging in-connected mode and never get to listen. I figured out that if I sent myself a message (just from my Sprint text account), and it got back to listen mode. After I deleted the message, it got stuck again. Sent the message and just left it and there you go, happy listen mode.

I'm 100% sure that my battery drain was from being in connected (blue envelope) mode and not listen mode. It's obvious the Treo was constantly transmitting - I could even feel how hot it would get. That was often my first clue it was stuck.

Hope this helps.

Matt
    Mine would get very hot as well, but I always have emails in my inbox. I am going to use the sync option every 10 minutes for a while to see if the battery drain ever happens again. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    This just happened to me yesterday. Phone was fully charged at 7am, normal usage during the day, approx. 15 min of use. No Data/blazer usage.

At around 7pm battery was at approx. 70% after my last call of the day. Didn't charge the phone over night, but when I checked it this morning, it wouldn't turn on. Reset the battery and plugged in charger. Things seem normal again. I did notice the blue triangles flashing alot yesterday.

I use 'Battery Graph' to monitor my battery. It reported that the battery was at 17%, but it also reported that the battery voltage was at 3137mV.

I'm not a technical expert on this phone and battery stats, but I think the battery voltage of 3100mV should indicate higher than 17% of battery life.

Anybody else use Battery Graph or other similar monitor? Anybody familiar with battery voltage specs on the 755p?

FYI... I don't use Chattermail.

Battery Graph is freeware... http://palm.JeroenWitteman.com
    Happened to me yesterday. Made maybe one phone call on the phone all morning. Picked it up and it was hot and at about 5% charge. Plugged it into charger and it remained hot.

The one difference I knew of, from previously, was the installation of Gizmo (which I could never get to work anyway.) I removed it.

That night, with no Gizmo installed, I left the Treo hooked to my computer after a sync...vs. the charge cradle. As you know the USB port charges slower. In the morning it still didn't indicate a full charge and when I turned it on it had a network error message...something like "unable to connect to network."

Had no problems connecting to the network....error might have been old.

Put it in the cradle for a couple hours and it has been fine since.

This does make me very concerned with the reliability. Will it leave me stranded with a dead battery somewhere?
    I have similar problems-- I don't lose power as rapidly as some people are reporting, but I have gone from 99 to 80 in 4 hours, even without using the device at all.

And I've gone from 80 to 50 with one phonecall-- less than 20 mins.

If I make a few calls during the day, I worry about running out of juice before making it home (generally work about a 14 hour day).

The phone didn't do this for the first few weeks, and some days I use the phone a lot, and it still has 80%+ in the evening.

I don't even know what Chatter is, so probably that isn't the problem for me at least. I don't have a high speed data plan either.

The battery does get quite hot when I make a call over 2 minutes in length.

I suspect this is the last Treo device I buy.
    Happened to me today. Just setting on my desk. I didn't get a call when I was suppose to. Looked at the phone, locked up solid. Battery was hot, EVDO arrows were lit up, and I don't use Chattermail. Had to soft reset to get it back. Battery was drained down to 10 percent.
    Matty
    I'd really love to figure this one out. On my 2nd 755 now, picked up this new one yesterday and today I experienced the drain again just like the last 755 although the last one didn't do it for the first week I had it.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast