Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Deep sigh...well, the time finally came. I have packed up the Sprint Treo 755P and it goes back to the store tomorrow. I'm going to miss it. It was my first convergence device. I loved it. If Verizon ever gets their act together I will be buying one from them, and will even pay their bloated data fees.

I'm disappointed that VZW can't seem to get their act together when it comes to releasing phones in a timely manner. I'm even more disappointed that I had my Sprint Treo 755P just like I wanted it in every aspect (but of course I was willing to find the next thing I couldn't live without by these forums).

But Sprint coverage just will not suffice. I have dropped so many calls in the last week it's enough to drive a person to drink. Well, any excuse to drink, really. But the point is I dropped calls that were important and when I least expected it. And unfortunately, bluetooth doesn't seem stable to me. I could probably live with the bluetooth issue (and will probably have to since I doubt VZW will somehow miraculously fix it). But I can't live with so many dropped calls.

So tonight I'm having a bit of a pity party. I had come over from a Palm TX, so I'm back up and running with that, but it just won't be the same. I really loved the all-in-one device that the Treo was. I had even grown accustomed to the smaller screen and didn't mind it at all.

For those of you that have good Sprint coverage...I'm jealous. I wish I could have remained. The one thing I cling to is the hope that I'll be back.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    sorry coverage is bad in your area. it rocks in san antonio, texas!
    I don't understand this one... if you are on any of Sprint's newer phone plans, roaming is no cost. You can force the 755p to roam, so then you would be under VZW coverage.

As for VZW's pricing, no way I'd ever pay their over inflated prices for data, or purchase a VZW device, which often has key features crippled to drive you to purchase extras (can you say DUN, or in the case of my daughter's VZW RAZR disabled picture file transfer)

No, Sprint is far from perfect, but it beats VZW in numerous ways.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingPilot View Post
    I don't understand this one... if you are on any of Sprint's newer phone plans, roaming is no cost. You can force the 755p to roam, so then you would be under VZW coverage.

As for VZW's pricing, no way I'd ever pay their over inflated prices for data, or purchase a VZW device, which often has key features crippled to drive you to purchase extras (can you say DUN, or in the case of my daughter's VZW RAZR disabled picture file transfer)

At my house the only way I can make and keep a call is to sit outside on my deck. Since winter (and summer) can be brutal around here, sitting outside to make/take calls isn't my preference. I don't have a land line anymore.

I won't deny that the way VZW cripples their phones is beyond frustrating, but for your every-day cell phone I don't mind so much. I prefer not to check e-mail on my RAZR. And VZW doesn't cripple the Treos.

I really wanted Sprint to work for me, but in the end the call coverage just wasn't acceptable. And while I didn't research forcing the roaming, I really didn't (and don't) want to mess with having to continually change phone set up just to be able to stay on a call.
    Remember when you go home network to roaming you drop the call, when you going roaming to home network again you drop the call.

Have you checked the sprint coverage maps in your area? If not go check them out, second if you want I would try another treo it could of been software or hardware related not network related. I find most of the time if you can get VZ service you can get sprint native service, and according to network coverage sprint is supposed to have the most coverage.

Verizon Wireless
    Verizon offers standard voice coverage to 291 million potential people if you include its roaming partners who provide service where Verizon does not. If you discount the roaming partners and just include towers owned and operated by Verizon, coverage is 255 million people. Verizon's 3G EV-DO network reaches 150 million-plus people. Verizon also claims to have the largest network by number of subscribers: 52.6 million retail subscribers and 54.8 million if you include resale/rebranding agreements with other carriers. Verizon also notes that J.D. Power consistently ranks Verizon as having the highest overall call quality on the market, along with T-Mobile. Verizon also claims to have the most reliable network in the States, based on a variety of third-party studies.

Sprint
    Sprint's standard voice service reaches more than 295 million people (including U.S.-owned islands like Guam), and the Nextel iDen network reaches 264 million people. Sprint's 3G EV-DO network reaches 158 million people in 220 markets with more than 100,000 residents and 486 airports. Sprint's recent claims are that its broadband service is 5 times faster than Cingular's, but this is comparing to Cingular's old 2.5G EDGE service and not its newer 3G service (which has a comparable speed). Technically speaking, Sprint suprisingly has the largest amount of coverage.
    I have had much better phone service since I've had the 755 Sprint over my 650 Verizon. Last week I was in Washington DC and Maryland and noticed I was roaming a bit in the DC area where I've never noticed roaming here in the St. Louis area. Fortunately I seemed to have great service, roaming or not.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    force the treo to roam when you're at home..
    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingPilot View Post

If more than 50% of your charges are from roaming sprint can and will terminate your service. They havent always enforced this, but they are doing so now. There were letters sent out to some customers the other week telling customers to find someone better suited to their wireless needs, and they were not given any warning. After the media nightmare they had over this I dont know if they will warn in the future, but I would be careful.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    force the treo to roam when you're at home..
    Not a good idea...you're going to get the boot from Sprint...
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Where I use to live, the only provider was Stinkular. I had to go outside, stand on one leg, wave my right arm in the air, and I might be able to hold a call for a minute. I switched to Nextel, then Sprint, and where I live now, there is a Sprint tower disguised as a flag pole. It is only 200 feet from my house. So I stay max signal. I guess my luck changed for the better, for once. (knock on wood)
    Matty
  11.    #11  
    Without a doubt if I had a tower 200 feet from me I would definitely stick with Sprint. Having it work at home is my number 1 concern. Having it work other places is my number 2 concern. And in all honesty, in my limited travels for the last 28 days it was really only my home area that was the problem.
    I had similar problems with my calls from home. I live in small town USA and we do not even have the option of verizon. I finally got a signal booster and my problems are solved. If you can get a good signal outside your house( at least 2 bars I would say) then you can get that inside. Really they say one good strong bar will keep you from dropping calls. I feel so so sad you are having to settle for less than you want. This has made all the difference in the world and worth the 200 dollars or so to get one.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hearttx View Post
    I had similar problems with my calls from home. I live in small town USA and we do not even have the option of verizon. I finally got a signal booster and my problems are solved. If you can get a good signal outside your house( at least 2 bars I would say) then you can get that inside. Really they say one good strong bar will keep you from dropping calls. I feel so so sad you are having to settle for less than you want. This has made all the difference in the world and worth the 200 dollars or so to get one.
    I hadn't considered a signal booster. Well, I returned it today so now I wait to see if Verizon will ever release theirs. Keeping my fingers crossed. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I could try to open another account with Sprint a few months from now if Verizon doesn't get their act together. But by then I will have probably moved on.
    I also got a repeater for my home. It works great!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I also got a repeater for my home. It works great!
    Can you provide some more information? Like what, how it is installed, were you able to do it yourself, etc.
    I'd be curious as well. I have a great signal at work, our other satellite offices, and the dialysis clinic. At home I get a lot of dropped calls and the ever wonderful garbled speech junk.
    So if a repeater or booster were not an arm and a leg I would be interested. I was with Nextel for years (had several Bberries) and this was never a problem. I switched to Sprint to cut the cost (no Bberry data plan and work discount) and have had signal issues. My wife has a Katana which does a little better, but she has some trouble too.
    I cannot remember where I bought it (I found it through a google search). It was about $700-800. The box is small (8 x 6 x 2 inches). I did put the antennae on my roof for a better signal. (I had a cable man moonlight ot run it). I get 3 bars even in my basement and I live in a valley. It REALLY works!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I see that you are in MD. I'm in Germantown, MD. Could I ask where you are having so much trouble? I was considering moving from Verizon to Sprint to get the 755 but was definitely worried about the network. Verizon has always served me pretty well. I'm just sick of waiting on the 755.

Also, I heard something about mobile to mobile calls not being counted as such if you are roaming. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I see that you are in MD. I'm in Germantown, MD. Could I ask where you are having so much trouble? I was considering moving from Verizon to Sprint to get the 755 but was definitely worried about the network. Verizon has always served me pretty well. I'm just sick of waiting on the 755.

Also, I heard something about mobile to mobile calls not being counted as such if you are roaming. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!
    M2M, and Free Incoming calls do not count if roaming. NW calls do count if roaming. The only provider I am aware of that roaming calls do count for everything is AT&T.
    Last edited by matty032; 07/18/2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: misstype
    Matty
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    M2M, and Free Incoming calls do not count if roaming. NW calls do count if roaming. The only provider I am aware of that roaming calls do count for everything is AT&T.
    I think Verizon M2M count pretty much all the time but I could be wrong. I'm on Verizon and have never noticed an issue. Or maybe I just never roam.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast