Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE - July 16, 2007 - Palm has released an official fix for this issue, and has politely asked me to remove these files. I have done so, and redirected the link to the official solution.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...e/verizon.html

This page now contains instructions on how to download the official VersaMail update.

Thank you Palm for your professionalism and courtesy, as well as your prompt response.

======ORIGINAL POST======

GOOD NEWS! I came up with a homebrew fix that works on my Treo. (9 month old Verizon 700P upgraded to the 1.10 ROM.) Please take this with the requisite grain of salt. I'm not a programmer. I am a sysadmin who is pretty technical, and really, really persistent.

The solution is to upgrade VersaMail from 3.5.1 to 3.5.4. This is much easier said than done. Below are the steps I followed. They're kinda messy, but I got it working. I would recommend adhering the them as closely as possible. If you do something different, it may work, but your mileage may vary.

1. Download this file and decompress it to a folder on your SD card. Trying to install these files over HotSync will fail miserably. Don't waste your time. I don't mean this to sound snooty, but if you don't know how to un-RAR a file, you probably shouldn't be messing around replacing system files on your device.
    2. Also download and unzip FileZ onto the card. You only need FileZ.prc on the card. If you already had it installed, or if you prefer another file manager, knock yourself out. You have to delete and overwrite some system files, so some file manager apps might not work.
    3. Restore the last backup you did before upgrading the device. You DID back it up, didn't you?
    4. After the restore is complete, and BEFORE your Treo has a chance to boot up, take the battery out, or at least make sure the phone connection doesn't come up. It's important that your Treo doesn't come back to life after the backup. If it does, it will try to sync as soon as it comes back on, which will screw up the VersaMail files. There may be a way to un-corrupt them, but I didn't try to do that.
    5. While holding the 5-way D-Pad up, put the battery back in and press the reset button with the stylus. Unless you're an octopus, this might be a little tricky. Holding the 5-way up while resetting will boot your Treo into "safe mode." Keep pressing up until it finishes booting to the phone screen The phone should not come on, and no extensions will load. Don't try to do anything with your phone in this state, because most apps won't work.
    6. Copy the FileZ application onto your device. Or maybe you can run it directly from the card. Since I already had it installed before I did the upgrade, I can't really give detailed instructions as to how to do this.
    7. Using FileZ, delete the following files on the Treo: (INTERNAL MEMORY)

• AirSAM*.*
      • BgndService*.*
      • MIAttachLib*.*
      • MIDataLib*.*
      • MImgPlugIn*.*
      • MM*.*
      • MultiMail*.*
      • SAMgr*.*
      • VersaMail*.*

(Note: The asterisks mean that you need to delete any file starting with that string.) Make sure you delete all these files. You will not be able to simply overwrite them! You may not have all the files listed above, don't worry. I don't recall exactly how many files there were, but I want to say around 50ish files total.
    8. Using FileZ, copy all the files in the folder you created on the SD card directly to the internal memory of your Treo. There are 51 files in total, but it is not a direct 1-to-1 relationship to the ones that were on your device. Note: You will get a couple error messages about being unable to load certain files. (SAMgr and MIDataLib) This is normal.
    9. After these files have been copied, reset your Treo, this time in normal mode.
    10. After it comes back up, start VersaMail. As quickly as possible, go into "Accounts -> Account Setup" and delete your Exchange ActiveSync account. You will need to have another account on the device, as VersaMail won't let you delete the only account. I had to put a dummy SMTP account on mine before it would let me delete the EAS one.
    11. Double-check to make sure you're running VersaMail 3.5.4. (Options -> About VersaMail)
    12. Re-add the EAS account. Do the initial sync.
    13. Final clean-up. Delete the dummy account (if you created one.) Also, for some reason (and it may have been all the screwing around I did before actually getting this to work) All of my contacts and a bunch of my appointments duplicated. I use BackupMan for backups, and it has a feature "Tools -> Advanced... -> Verify PIM Databases." I ran that, and it found and deleted all my duplicates. Again, your situation might be different, but that worked for me.
    14. Just for good measure, sync a couple times, then reboot the Treo. Probably not necessary, but better safe than sorry.
    15. The all-important step 15: Send me money. I have a baby due in September and lots of credit card bills to pay off. (OK, just kidding on that one. If you have extra money, donate it to charity)

So that's it. It worked for me. These files came from a ROM dump from a Sprint 755P. (I found it while wandering around the Internets.) Allegedly, the Sprint 700P MR upgraded VersaMail to 3.5.4, and Sprint users aren't reporting this issue, which is why I decided to try this fix. I have been testing this fix for all of an hour, so it's entirely possible that this could mess something else up, but since you got a good backup before you tried to update the firmware, I don't think anything in this could cause any permanent damage. It's also likely that I replaced more files than I needed to, but since they're all in RAM anyway (except for the NetSync files) I don't think it matters.

If you find problems with this fix, PLEASE POST THEM HERE.

I suspect that Palm's official fix will probably be similar in nature to this one. (Although they're probably wrap it all up in a nice installer so you don't have to follow 15 steps to do it.) I don't know why Palm/Verizon didn't just install VersaMail 3.5.4 in the MR. They could have even put it in ROM so we didn't have to waste precious RAM installing it.

Finally, to anyone at Palm who is reading this: I am keenly aware that posting VersaMail 3.5.4 files is probably a flagrant violation of something. I don't know how someone could possibly pirate or misuse an application that comes free with the phone, and only works on that phone, but copyright laws are screwed up. I hope you take into consideration the dozens of hours I have spent figuring this solution out, and decide to look the other way until you get an "official" fix posted. However if requested, I will remove the files immediately. I prefer polite email requests to cease and desist letters from lawyers, but do what you have to do. Please send me a private message on this board.
    Last edited by chamm; 07/16/2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Redirecting link per request from Palm.
    Appreciate the fix and the workaround. Since this has been QA'd for only an hour and I'm sick of resetting and resintalling my device constantly I'll give it a few days. Keep us posted, please!
    so thats all it took was upgrading Versamail from 3.5.1 to 3.5.4? If you to to Palm's website and buy Versamail directly for $10 what version do you get? It might be easier to pay the $10 and know your getting a version that your not going to have even more problems with down the road.....

I upgraded to 1.10 on Friday morning and spend the afternoon at the verizon store exchanging my 1.10 for 1.06. I was lucky they even had them... At this point I'm going to hold off until more report that this actually does work - I dont want to press my luck at VZW store for a 2nd exchange for the exact same reason.

On another note, Palm level 2 tech finally called me back a bit ago, the guy basically said they know there is a problem and they are investigating. Hopefully its a pretty easy fix for them and will be on the website soon. This problem could be pretty bad considering that version 1.06 phones could be pretty hard to come by as the VZW had already upgraded most of their stock.

The better question is how did this get past some kind of quality control? You would think that with Palm and VZE both testing this that somehow this problem would have presented itself. I understand that Palm/VZW can't test every single configuration, but EAS has to be a pretty popular way for corp/biz people to get email/calendar/contacts.
  4.    #4  
    Heh... I didn't even know you could purchase VersaMail on their website. I'd have probably tried that before I spent 30+ hours trying to reverse-engineer a soltution. Guess it pays to research a little.

Someone please let me know if that works. I'll gladly rescind my fix if a VersaMail purchase will resolve the problem.
    You can only buy 3.5 on the website, nothing higher.
    your right - i just bought and installed it to double double check.... it installed 3.5. Ohh well $10 spent in the name of trying to fix Palm's bull**** MR.
    That makes two of us suckers!
  8.    #8  
    Well, I would say I'm sorry to hear that, but secretly I'm happy. At least my effort wasn't for nothing.

Stupid question: why would Palm be selling VersaMail? Doesn't it come with all devices?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by brivalen View Post

On another note, Palm level 2 tech finally called me back a bit ago, the guy basically said they know there is a problem and they are investigating. Hopefully its a pretty easy fix for them and will be on the website soon. This problem could be pretty bad considering that version 1.06 phones could be pretty hard to come by as the VZW had already upgraded most of their stock.

The better question is how did this get past some kind of quality control? You would think that with Palm and VZE both testing this that somehow this problem would have presented itself. I understand that Palm/VZW can't test every single configuration, but EAS has to be a pretty popular way for corp/biz people to get email/calendar/contacts.
    Palm has Level 2 tech support? The lady I talked with acknowledged there was a problem, but she didn't indicate in any way that I'd be receiving a phone call back from anyone. I'd be interested to share my solution with them.

Honestly, what Palm needs to do is to open up their sourcecode. They're probably prohibited from doing so by some BS contract, but as I mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of lawyers.

It's been proven time and again that there is a dedicated user base willing to spend time and effort fixing these problems, and clearly Palm doesn't have the resources to do it themselves. If they open-sourced PalmOS, I'd see a REAL chance for these things to start coming into style again. Remember, it was the geeks and 3rd party application developers who made the original Palm Pilots so popular in the first place.

Also, I realize that there would need to be some closed-source modules. Things like network access and integration with Verizon and Sprint's mobile phone system are highly proprietary, and I wouldn't hold it against them for protecting it. However, I think that you could open up most of the code and not risk doing that. I know there's licensing money flying around all over the place, and there are surely people who would lose money as the result of such a move, but isn't capitalism ultimately supposed to benefit the consumer? If they'd open up the existing source, I'd be willing to bet there would be MASSIVE improvements in everything in a very short span of time. Unless that happens, I can't see a way for Palm to pull out of this nose-dive. I've been using a Palm since 1995, so I'm really pulling for them, but it's a pretty tall mountain to climb.
    As soon as the iPhone has EAS with mail/contact/calendar sync, I'm there. Palm is dying on the vine -products way behind, support horrific - no more innovation.
  11.    #11  
    Ah... the allure of the iPhone. It's a sexy device. I'm not a fan of the soft keyboard. (I type a LOT on my Treo) but alas, AT&T has exclusivity for at least 2 years. Not worth switching my whole company over to another carrier just for a $600 phone.

I really like my Treo, but I have specifically recommended against it for most of my customers. It's like a classic car. If you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty under the hood, it can be vastly rewarding, but if you want to go fast, pick up chicks, and not have to worry about fixing it on the side of the road, you're better off with something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by chamm View Post
    Palm has Level 2 tech support? The lady I talked with acknowledged there was a problem, but she didn't indicate in any way that I'd be receiving a phone call back from anyone. I'd be interested to share my solution with them.
    Chamm - Why don't you send it to them and tell them that hordes of customers are gonig to jump ship to RIM or Apple if they don't get serious here?

Re; the iphone - the stats came out today. Over 50% of the iPhone buyers switched from another carrier to AT&T. 1/3 had never bought an Apple product. 40% never had an iPod. Pretty amazing marketing!
    Good work man. I was tired of doing RE on this MR too. Hopefully this will buy Palm sometime to fix this issue.
    Allegedly, the Sprint 700P MR upgraded VersaMail to 3.5.4, and Sprint users aren't reporting this issue, which is why I decided to try this fix.
    Not allegedly. Fact. Sprint MR upgrades VM to 3.5.4.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Well, I would say I'm sorry to hear that, but secretly I'm happy. At least my effort wasn't for nothing.

Stupid question: why would Palm be selling VersaMail? Doesn't it come with all devices?
    Probably to avoid Sarbanes-Oxley problems.
    Chamm,

Two things.

1st. You only need to hold the up button and put the battery back in to start safe mode. You can tell that's it's working because the bluetooth icon next to the clock will be gone.

2. After downloading your files and installing them as you instructed it prompts me with the following when I attempt to sync for the first time "bgservice.lib is an older version. Please upgrade to at least version 2.5"

Can you include that file in your rar?

Eric
    Ok I got it to work. I had to copy the four more files from a sprint treo to a SD card and then back to my treo. Everything works great now. However, before I moved the files from the old Treo I had to change the attributes to allow me to move it.

I post instructions and this file shortly.

Eric
  18.    #18  
    I must admit that I rarely, if ever, sync my phone. That's why EAS is so important to me.

At any rate, I have added two files, and updated the download link above. I gave the RAR file a different name just to avoid confusion. I still have the original file posted so that people can still use that if they wish.

I installed the two files you mentioned, ran a couple syncs and a couple resets. It didn't seem to hurt anything, so please let me know if this fixes the problem. Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by chamm; 07/16/2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    Chamm,

I've taken the liberty of packaging the file into a PRC. I'm going to post the installation instructions below. I've tried it several times and it works great. This is at least a simplified way to install until Palm fixes this on their own.

Eric
    Took some time but I can confirm the process works flawlessly.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast