Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Ok, so I currently use Palm desktop for all of my contacts, calendar, etc.

My office is going to enable active exchage whatever...

just in general, I think it is better for the future to transfer all of my contacts and calendar to outlook and would probably need to be done eventually.

questions are:

Right now I sync to both my home and office computer (to palm desktop).
    I do have seperate contacts in outlook than I do in Palm. How do I transfer that info to outlook for sync, and can I still sync to both my work and home computer? My home computer uses a different email address/account etc. and has different contacts. Also, many of my contacts in Palm/handheld do have email addresses in outlook.

Is this possible to do? If so how, and what happens to duplicates and will I be able to sync to 2 different outlooks?

Or is any of this not worth the aggrevation and just leave it all alone the way it is
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    Or is any of this not worth the aggrevation and just leave it all alone the way it is
    My work enables Exchange ActiveSync. I no longer sync my contacts to Palm Desktop or the Outlook client. Instead, I sync OTA to the Exchange server. I have my email delivered to my Exchange Server inbox instead of my personal folders. This also means my contacts folder is now stored on the Exchange Server, as is my calendar. I sync them all to my Treo.

This means that when I log in to Outlook, it displays my email, contacts and calendar the same no matter where I am. And my Treo has the exact same information. I no longer worry about "work" and "home" computers being out of sync with each other, or with my Treo.

Basically, here's what you should do, if you want to do it this way:

1. Sync your Treo to your Outlook client at work, instead of your Palm Desktop.
    2. Switch your Outlook client to deliver to "inbox" instead of personal folders.
    3. Make sure and copy your entire contacts folder up to your exchange server.
    4. Disable sync'ing of contacts, calendar and versamail in Hotsync.
    5. In your versamail, enable Exchange ActiveSync.

You should be all set.

It took me a bit to figure out how to make it all work. Now, though, I rarely ever hot sync. I do almost all sync OTA using Exchange ActiveSync. This is so much better that there is no contest. As an added bonus, your email, contacts and calendar are now stored on the Exchange Server at work, and can be accessed from any computer with Outlook installed and a VPN back to your work. Or using Outlook Web Access. And, when you add a contact to your Treo, it sync's to your Exchange Server OTA.

I love it, it makes my Treo much smarter!
    Palm IIIxe --> Tungsten C --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 755p EV-DO
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ecowper,
    thanks, but I'm still a bit confused.

what about all of my contacts (most of them are in my palm desktop, not outlook) although some are just email address in outlook while the rest of the info is in the same contact name in palm desktop, how do I get those into outlook? Then, if I don't "hotsync", how do I backup the rest of the info in my phone besides contacts, email, and calender? IE third party software that is important like pocketmoney etc?

then what, don't ever hotsync at home? or disable those 3 items and still hotsync for the rest of the stuff to be backed up? And then how do I see my calender at home and/or make changes? Just in the handheld and/or through outlook web acess?
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    what about all of my contacts (most of them are in my palm desktop, not outlook) although some are just email address in outlook while the rest of the info is in the same contact name in palm desktop, how do I get those into outlook?
    The contacts are also in your phone, so when you first sync to Outlook instead of Palm Desktop they will sync into Outlook. If they are the same contact name, I'm pretty sure you will end up with a duplicate that you will have to clean up manually. As I recall, that is what I had to do.

then what, don't ever hotsync at home? or disable those 3 items and still hotsync for the rest of the stuff to be backed up?
    Disable contacts, email and calendar and hotsync everything else. I only hotsync about once a week now, at most. That is mostly to hotsync Pocket Quicken's data.

And then how do I see my calender at home and/or make changes? Just in the handheld and/or through outlook web acess?
    Exactly. Also, if you have VPN access from home to your Exchange Server, you can also just run your Outlook client at home and connect that way. I rarely use anything but my Treo and Outlook Web Access when I'm outside the office now.

Hopefully that helps. If not, drop me a pm and we can swap phone numbers and chat on the phone.
    Palm IIIxe --> Tungsten C --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 755p EV-DO
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    thank you very much. I think I got it now and IT is going to activate exchange at the office. Once that is actually done, I'm going to take a leap of faith and start using outlook instead of Palm Desktop and see what happens, lol.

Thank you again for your help, the clarification is appreciated.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*