http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/dbfixit-v10h. zip
    there is also a web page at:
    http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/dbfixit.htm

This is a utility I have been working on for several months which is
    designed to detect and repair all kinds of errors in Palm OS
    databases. It knows the structure of both the traditional and
    proprietary Palm OS/PalmOne PIM databases and looks for all possible
    errors in those databases. It then allows you in almost all cases to
    selectively fix those errors without losing any valid data.

Among other things, DbFixIt will fix the known "Huge Contacts
    Database" bug - whereby corrupt Blobs can swell up the contacts
    database to enormous sizes (I've seen contacts databases as large as
    45Mb where 98% of all the data was completely junk(!). DbFixIt will
    clean up those errors without losing any valid data. This problem
    occurs due to both a bug in Palm's software and corruption of the
    database itself.

It will also scan any Palm OS database with a type of 'DATA' and look
    for generic errors such as NIL chunks, or duplicate Unique ID's and
    correct those problems. Such errors can easily crash an application
    or cause it to function erratically. For example, if you have an
    application that serves up the WRONG record after a global find,
    this may well be because you have duplicate unique ID's in the
    database. DbFixIt will locate any records with duplicate ID's and re-
    create them with a new ID.

DbFixIt is a shareware application at $12.95. HOWEVER, in the
    unregistered form it will run and detect errors so it is useful in
    its unregistered form. But only registered versions will then go in
    and fix those errors. As with DateBk6, all the profits from the sale
    of this product go to our wildlife conservation efforts...

NOTE: this is a new utility and while it has been tested by several
    users, we do expect to see some unusual problems crop up that will
    require additions to the program to fix. In any event, it is ALWAYS
    highly recommended that you make a backup copy of either your
    handheld or desktop data first before running DbFixIt just in case
    you have a unique problem that has never been seen before and which
    DbFixIt encounters problems with...
    ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ======
    Types of problems that DbFixIt corrects:

. PIM Databases: invalid dates, invalid times, items not sorted
    properly, description, note fields too long or pointing outside of
    the record, Invalid repeat specifications, invalid alarm information,
    orphaned repeat events, physical record too short or too long,
    invalid priority field, etc.

. ALL Databases: Duplicate unique ID's, locked records left in
    database, record too long (when maximum length is known), NIL chunks
    on non-deleted records, accessibility of all records via Palm OS.

. BLOB Errors: Blobs are data appended to the end of a record. Due to
    bugs in the built-in contacts application, conduit problems and
    memory corruption issues, corrupt Blobs can appear in the PIM
    databases on newer PalmOne devices and these can not be removed by
    simply hotsynching from the desktop to the handheld. Pimlico has seen
    several cases of users with enormous contacts databases (some as
    large as 40-50Mb (!) that were 98% garbage from corrupt Blobs. For
    example, one of the initial DbFixIt tester's Palm Contacts database
    was 1.8Mb in size. After DbFixIt cleaned it up, 1.57Mb of wasted
    space was recovered, and the database was then only some 230k in size.

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
    -------------
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    so let me get this straight... all the crashes and currupted data that occur for no reason at all, this will remove?

just give me a yes or no lol =]
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    What's the difference between this and dbScan that comes with DateBk?

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Apparently this is more comprehensive than dbScan. It also scans all databases where dbScan only does the PIM apps.
    Just ran a scan this morning and it found 4 errors in my Task database. I was surprised because I regularly run dbscan and also use Palm Desktop Tools option to scan my Treo, and neither found these 4 errors.
    Now I was able to fix them without using the program, but that's not the point, it was the program that found the errors. So I went ahead and purchased the program in recognition of their good work.
    I have no idea if these 4 errors have been causing me any problems but I certainly glad to get them cleared up.

GOOD WORK!

Fred
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I tried it out and it worked well but it didn't find any errors. I have 624 contacts.
    I have been waiting for a program like this. I had previously tried out his dbscan and used it succesfully...but...I still had an abnormally large contacts database.

I cannot recall the exact file sizes but it was something like 2-3 meg in size. I knew it was crazy big by doing a small experiment. If I used the excellent program "Directory Assistant" to find an address, then copy it to my contacts the resulting record was much larger then entering it manually. I also verified it by looking at the size of each record and noticed that many were abnormally large for no apparent reason (ie, no picture or excessive notes).

I also think it is possible that in upgrading over all the years that I have had a Palm (since 1997) that the contacts database had become filled with errors and bloated entries.

I toyed with editing each entry down or re-entering all the large ones manually but that was too labor intensive. Until this utility came along I just dealt with the bloat and sluggish response in contacts.

So when I saw this the other night at work I was very eager to give it a try. I wish I had kept the exact numbers for this post, but I didn't. I do recall that it found something like 700+ errors in my contacts and the "blobs" totalled around 1,200,000 bytes (not sure that I am recalling this number perfectly and I wished they had just used megs, everyone understands megs).

To sum it up, I tried the trial and it worked perfectly showing me all the errors. I bought the full version and ran it through on all the PIM databases. I fixed all the errors and deleted the "blobs".

I gained a bit more then a meg of memory, the contacts database opens faster and it is much more responsive.

Worth the $12.95 to me. YMMV. I am in no way connected to the company and have never used any of thier other software titles.

Good stuff, I recommend it if the trial version finds a lot of errors and "blobs".
    Last edited by mattyparanoid; 07/16/2007 at 02:26 AM.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    It found 32 duplicate Unique ID's in my Contacts, and 120k of blobs.

Funny thing is, I DID have duplicates of the contacts it listed a while back somehow, but I deleted each duplicate. Seems perhaps they didn't really delete, or perhaps there were 3 copies, 1 being an exact duplicate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid View Post
    I fixed all the errors and deleted the "blobs".
    Just for clarification to other readers who may be hearing about "blobs" (an acronym for Binary Large OBject) for the first time: not all "blobs" are bad! Blobs are used legitimately to hold information such as photographs and anniversary information in the contacts database, and to hold timezone and meeting information in the Calendar database. So DbFixIt is specifically looking for invalid Blobs which are either completely corrupt or generated spuriously due to programming errors in the conduit software, applications, etc.

On another note, the query about dbScan - dbScan only scans the traditional Palm OS Datebook database, DbFixIt scans all the PIM databases, not only the standard Palm OS PIM databases, but also the new suite of proprietary PIM Databases that Palm now uses on all its new devices. It also allows you to selectively repair the error without losing other valid data in the record (DbScan could only delete a record that had any corruption in it).

It is also a lot more robust than dbScan or most applications, in that it can read databases that have really horrible corruption issues causes crashes in the palm OS when attempting to read the data.

DbScan could detect duplicate unique ID's in the calendar database, but could only handle databases up to some 10,000 records and only had the option to delete the record with the duplicate ID. DbFixIt can scan ANY Palm OS database and when it finds a unique ID, it will rewrite the record assigning a new, unique ID, so no data is lost.

All the extra functionality in DbFixIt is why the application is more than five times the size of DBScan...

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
    I ran it and found no errors.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I ran it and found no errors.
    Well good! That's why I made DbFixIt useful in its unregistered form. Obviously I would like to see people register it, but it wasn't my intent to force people to purchase the program JUST to see if they had any errors - that would not be very user-friendly!
    Quote Originally Posted by cesdewar View Post
    Well good! That's why I made DbFixIt useful in its unregistered form. Obviously I would like to see people register it, but it wasn't my intent to force people to purchase the program JUST to see if they had any errors - that would not be very user-friendly!
    I have been a Datebk supporter since version 3. I would gladly purchase DbFixIt as soon as I need it. In the past I have had plenty of database problems such as deleted records and BLOBS. This new application is a welcome addition to the Palm OS.

Nice work!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quick clean deleted all my future re-occurring tasks...Double check everything once you've done a clean up. Would it be possible to add an option to disregard these on future quick cleans.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    Quick clean deleted all my future re-occurring tasks...Double check everything once you've done a clean up. Would it be possible to add an option to disregard these on future quick cleans.
    I ran into the same thing and reported it. I got a reply quite quickly (an hour) indicating that it was a bug and that there was a new version. Try the latest version 1.0k or higher.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I wish I'd known this yesterday. I bought this to fix the errors the scan found which turned out not to be errors at all and lead to extra work.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I use Reset Dr., and the crash log shows:
    "DataMgr.c, Line:,8674 DmWriteMWriteCheck failed with Err(0x0214)"

When I set the Contacts conduit to "do nothing," the hotsync runs fine, with no reset.

It's not the first time I've had a Palm product with a corrupted database, so I was really pleased to find this program- however, I ran both the quick check and the advanced use, and the program found no errors.

Any suggestions? Can the program be configured to find this error?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I ran it and got a few errors within my "date DatebookDB" database. I bought it and ran the fix. I ended up with lots of past meetings changed to today's date and with no time assigned. I also got a few alarms for meetings in the past. I deleted all of the "offending" entries and re-ran DbFixIt. No errors were reported. However, after creating an appointment (e.g. a party) that spanned through midnight, that item was reported as an error...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by bernilynn View Post
    I use Reset Dr., and the crash log shows:
    "DataMgr.c, Line:,8674 DmWriteMWriteCheck failed with Err(0x0214)"

When I set the Contacts conduit to "do nothing," the hotsync runs fine, with no reset.

It's not the first time I've had a Palm product with a corrupted database, so I was really pleased to find this program- however, I ran both the quick check and the advanced use, and the program found no errors.

Any suggestions? Can the program be configured to find this error?
    I subsequently bought this program, since I have been really pleased with all the Datebk products, and I had hoped that there would be advanced settings that could help me.....however, I didn't see any. Am I missing something?