View Poll Results: Are you having post-MR data connection problems?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 71.19%
  • No

8 13.56%
  • I did at first, but it's been solved

9 15.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I installed the MR update, and started having all sorts of data connection issues. Could not get on the web, or syn mail.

I called Verizon Wireless - they connected me with a rep in "Data Services."

She had me turn off my Treo, and she did a reset of the data services. Turned on Treo, and dis a "*22899" update. I was on 1X service before, and now EV service. I have been connected for the last 4 hours - no issues. Prior, could not connect at all.

Still seem to have Versamail issues. I have VM 3.5.1 installed, and it seems to have trouble getting the direct push mail. Manual sync, however, works fine. Did not work at all prior to calling Verizon.

I'll drop another update at the end of the day. Browser pops right up now as well, as des phone app. Seems to have cleaned up a lot of issues.

DTMF tones - like others, I started to hear tones once i did the update - no longer there once Verizon reet the data services???? Not sure, but I have to assume the issues were connected.
    So this issue doesn't affect us if the phone is in EVDO?
    Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    So this issue doesn't affect us if the phone is in EVDO?
    I'm in EVDO and having this problem.

I don't think this has anything to do with Vz's data network, but a problem within the phone itself. The 3000 error is rather instantaneous. It spends only about 2-3 seconds checking before stating that there is no network service available.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have had no issues all morning accessing the web - no "3000" data errors.

Like I mentioned, prior to the reset my Treo only saw 1X data. It now sees the EV data service, and has been 100% reliable all morning.

I don't think it matters if you are 1X or EV. What matters is getting Verizon to do a hard data service reset from their side. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Will post again later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    I installed the MR update, and started having all sorts of data connection issues. Could not get on the web, or syn mail.

I called Verizon Wireless - they connected me with a rep in "Data Services."

She had me turn off my Treo, and she did a reset of the data services. Turned on Treo, and dis a "*22899" update. I was on 1X service before, and now EV service. I have been connected for the last 4 hours - no issues. Prior, could not connect at all.
    I spoke with someone in Data Services as well. She also had me do the *22899. Unfortunately, that had no effect; I am still having problems and I am still on 1X service.

Hopefully they will have answer soon......
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    The girls at Verizon had me physically shut off my Treo (Airplane mode). She then did a hard reset of my Data services on "her" end. Then had me turn on Treo, and do a "*22899" refresh.
    Well, I had tons of problems post-MR with the data connection as well. Verizon is sending me a replacement phone (should have it today). In the days between calling and now, however, my area has finally made the full-time switch to EV. When in 1x coverage, I had about a 10% success rate connection to the network - the rest were mostly Error 3000 issues. Since the switch to the EV coverage here, my connection rate has been 100%. I fully expect the replacement phone to already have 1.10 on it even though I asked for 1.08. My current phone is "working" now (though I the problem is still there and is just masked by EV coverage), but it has a lot of dust underneath the screen somehow, so I'll take the clean screened replacement.

I still am in complete shock that VZW and Palm completely missed this. No, wait, yes I can. They probably looked at the installation error issues only, but didn't even look for problems after the MR was successfully installed in a phone. Idiots.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I wonder if they really did anything or just know that powering off the treo solves the problem temporarily
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I can't connect either...but the weird thing is that I applied the MR last night and EVERYTHING worked perfectly...but this morning, no data!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I tried to power off/on yesterday, and was able to connect to the data services. It only lasted for one or two tries, however. Data errors quickly returned.

Again, only having Verizon reset Data services, and doing the "*22899" helped me out.

Still data error free after about 4 hours.

GR
    hmm... i guess this means i shouldn't upgrade
    I'm having the same problems as everyone else. I spoke with Verizon and they suggested a hard reset then *22899 He also reset my data plan?

It seemed to work fine for a few days then yesterday I had another 'error 3000' but today thus far it's working without incident. Certainly much better than the first day when it wouldn't connect at all.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Well, I got tired of trying over and over to connect (or turning on and off the phone to connect), so I called VZW and got my data services reset. By the way, I was told that *22899 was for data-only products and *228 Opt 1 and 2 were for voice and data products, but the guy assisting me got his info from an email he received on the subject.

Anyway, so we reset everything, did the *228 OPT 1 and 2, and he wanted to try the Treo before I restored anything from my NVBackup. We tried Web, and everything looked good. Of course, as we all know it always works when you first reset everything. Since the Treo comes with nothing else that uses data services besides Web and Wireless Sync, the guy has me download Googlemaps to see if that causes problems. I load Googlemaps fresh from the Website, and when I start to use it, I get my first "Error 3000" message. I went to Network preferences, and noticed that something had turned off the Network connection, even though I had selected the option to keep the Network on whenever the phone was connected! I then started over with a hard reset, and this time I restored my NVBackup and tested the Network connection again. Within minutes of getting my email via Sanpper, I watched something disconnect the Network while I was watching via the Network preference screen.

I then started again with a fresh hard reset and didn't restore anything. So far (after a few hours), the Network connection has not reset once. Later tonight after work I will add back my apps one by one, but it appears that something from my old setup is now causing the data network to disconnect.
    I was doing fine for the first couple of days, then I started to have the problem with the phone disconnecting from data. Sometimes it will just reconnect when I try to do something like web browse, sometimes I get a "ppp timeout" error and I can manually reconnect and sometimes it just does nothing and I have to do a soft reset. This is really disturbing since I rely on push e-mail and I have no way of knowing whether it has disconnected without forcing it to check e-mail, which kind of defeats the purpose of push e-mail. But, I'm not inclined to do a hard reset until I know I'm not just buying a few days before it starts again. I've already spent too much time trying to configure the phone. I'm usually pretty forgiving about my Treo and am used to soft resets, blue tooth problems, etc. Now, I'm thinking that if this problem can't be fixed soon, it's time to bite the bullet and get a Blackberry. I'm not a real fan of BB, but the one thing I need (and am supposedly paying for with the data plan) is a reliable data connection.
    I voted 'no' because I had been having the same problem before I installed the MR, and one of the qualifications in the original post for 'yes' was that it was new after installing the MR.

Update: After doing the MR, I am getting this problem waaaaay more consistently, like every time the phone is on for a while.
    Last edited by TJSunDevil; 07/18/2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I would like to know the following info from the people who are having trouble:

1) Did you restore after the MR from a backup program? If so, which one?
    2) What programs do you have installed that use data?

I restored from NVBackup, and have Snappermail, Causerie, and Googlemaps that use data.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfriedman View Post
    Thanks for the responses thus far everyone, they sure are informative. And that "No" column sticking firmly on zero is especially informative. Is there really no one out there who hasn't had the data connections problems post-MR?
    Um, I've had no data problems since an initial *228 after the update and I use data pretty heavily for streaming Live TV via Orb. I'm in the Los Angeles area. I think it might be helpful for those with problems to state their geographic location.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    I would like to know the following info from the people who are having trouble:

1) Did you restore after the MR from a backup program? If so, which one?
    2) What programs do you have installed that use data?

I restored from NVBackup, and have Snappermail, Causerie, and Googlemaps that use data.
    I installed the MR the morning after it became available.

Initially I restored via Hotsync. Then I immediately restored again via Backup Buddy Personal. I got error messages saying there were newer versions of certain files on my phone already. I checked the box for it to "ignore all errors" and let the backup proceed.

Also, perhaps its relevant that I have never used Snappermail or Versamail. Instead I use Verizon Wireless Sync.
    After the backup the first thing I did was try to stream audio via Orb. It was buffering like crazy - insane buffering! So I did a *228 option 1 and *228 option 2. That fixed my connection, and now my phone is perfectly normal.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Ooops. I just saw my first Network disconnection after a few hours on a factory-fresh Treo.

I'm also in the LA area, but streaming is a little different. Once initiated, I have no trouble maintained a Network connection while in use, which of course covers streaming. The problem comes in initiating many short connections through the day. Sonething is turning off the connection, which gives rise to the Error 3000 messages in certain apps. Others (like Googlemaps) give me a different error message (from within the program) that data services are not available.
    I had connection problems after 228-1 and 228-2. They seem to have cleared in the 24 hours since I updated with *22899.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast