View Poll Results: How many devices did your Treo replace, did you retire the other devices?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • One

7 12.07%
  • Two

22 37.93%
  • Three

12 20.69%
  • Four or more

17 29.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, the Treo combines functions. How many devices did your Treo replace and did you retire your other devices?
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four or more
    For me it was:

MP3 player
    Voice recorder
    PDA
    Phone
    (If you can call this a device...)lets me get rid of the photos in my wallet to free up space so Im not sitting on a brick

It replaced my workout log that I carried around in the gym

I can continue but Ill stop.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Before I vote, are you talking just Tech devices, or is this open to non tech devices such as a one of the ol Franklin Covey books?
    Phone and PDA. I still use my ipod for music, since the capacity is much larger, plus mp3-playing is still not smooth on my treo (and makes it hot-hot to the touch.)
    Two - my 3G iPod (battery was wasted anyway) and my flip phone

EDIT: never considered the novels I used to lug round to read during lunch etc ! And before the treo I was very disorganised lol!
    Last edited by bruckwine; 07/16/2007 at 07:00 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Original post by DougFNJ:
    Before I vote, are you talking just Tech devices, or is this open to non tech devices such as a one of the ol Franklin Covey books?
    You bring up an excellent point. I think that something as substantial as the Franklin Covey planner counts, but then I want to know how you actively replaced it. PM me if it takes too much room.

Goodness after looking at everyone else's posts I forgot some of the stuff I previously carried, including the planner and digital recorder. Also, I carried my laptop around a lot more.

With that and the planner and laptop, I took up the space of an extra suitcase when I traveled. Adding on some of the things you've mentioned I replaced 6 devices, if I start adding pictures or portable DVD players or CDs, the number goes up. I love having internet libraries for my audible and digital books. They take up less room and I don't have to worry about anything getting lost or misplaced.
    Can I say 2 and a half? lol. Actually My old Clie was also my mp3 player, so in a way it replaced the need to get one. And now comes the Treo to replace my PDA, Cell phone and that would-be MP3 player.

Palm would have really shined if they'd taken the big screen of the lifedrive and made a smartphone from that. The big screen of my old Clie is what I miss the most.
    For me the 700p functions as my main phone, daily planner, rolodex, pocket reference book(s), portable photo album, pager, calculator, mp3 player... and several more.

I'll have to vote four or more on this one.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    My original 600 replaced a Motorola StarTac.
    My 650 replaced the 600.
    My 700p hasn't yet replaced my 650, but it has come close to replacing my Windows Laptop. Boy, do I ever wish it could!

And although I can't say any of these Treos replaced any devices (other than previous cell phones), i do use Treos for quite a few devices I never had to buy, or even could have bought.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    My Treo has replaced my-

pocket pc
    Jornada 720(b/c I can do all my writing on my Treo now)
    cell phone
    notebook
    camera
    address book
    diary
    and occasionally my laptop

The only thing it hasn't replaced is my 80 gig iPod, and that's simply b/c the iPod has such a large capacity & doesn't need a headphone adapter.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    It has "almost replaced" some devices, but does not perform as well as I would like. The concept is great, but needs improvement, IMHO...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by KabukiAssassin:
    The only thing it hasn't replaced is my 80 gig iPod, and that's simply b/c the iPod has such a large capacity & doesn't need a headphone adapter.
    I agree with you on the capacity and the headphone adapter. I use pTunes Deluxe and softick audio gateway(SAG) . Additionally, I mostly listen to books which I download with audible air. With SAG, I listen to my Treo on my bluetooth headset. I rarely use a wired headset.

Admittedly, I began looking for SAG because I missed the voice dial, through bluetooth, capability of my previous phone. Now that I have SAG, I use it for audible, kinoma, and pTunes.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts is that I used to keep the NIV bible and two to three other books in my car at all times. Additionally, I always carried a paperback on me for those waits in lines or when you pull off the road and rest, because you're traveling and LA (city) traffic is so backed up.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by noodle:
    It has "almost replaced" some devices, but does not perform as well as I would like. The concept is great, but needs improvement, IMHO...
    Wow. It didn't even replace your phone, calendar, or pda. I was concerned with the battery life and the fact that I didn't have time to put all my programs on it so I initially carried by UX50. But even though I didn't like the loss of voice dial, I immediately retired the other cell phone.
    Replaced my
    1. Pnone
    2. PDA
    3. Pager
    Despite my best efforts, I can't get it to replace my iPod. I use an MP3 player a lot at the gym, and the Treo just has too much bulk and is vastly inferior to a dedicated MP3 player when it comes to uninterrupted sound quality and ease of use.
  15.    #15  
    . . .the Treo just has too much bulk and is vastly inferior to a dedicated MP3 player when it comes to uninterrupted sound quality and ease of use. . .
    Agreed. For the gym, I've always had an mp3 player that's the size of a match book with an SD card for music. Even after I purchased an iPod, I kept the smaller mp3 and leave it in my gym bag. When it stops working, I'll have to take the iPod to the gym.

Currently, the iPod stays in the car loaded with audio books (I have the adapter/fm transmitter that allows the sound to come from the car speakers). When I'm inside my house, work or out and about, I use the Treo. The iPod used to be tied to me even if it rare for me to pull out headphones or attach to speakers.
    Simple: cell phone & PDA.
    Like most, my Treo replaced just 2 "devices" : phone & Palm Vx. Actually, make that 3: calculator also. But, it has also supplemented various other things, devices and non-devices, such as mp3 players, paper & pen, camera, sticky notes, etc.
    voice recorder, music player, phone, pda, pc card mobile card, calculator, some laptop functions such as reading email (but definitely not a full replacement)

Add slingbox because its that good.
    For devices, it's: phone, pda, mp3 player and also my wristwatch (mine broke & I haven't bothered to replace it.)

Also, I use it in place of carrying a book &/or newspaper around to entertain myself, I frequently watch TV/video which I wouldn't have access to, & I don't bring my laptop to nearly as many appointments as I used to - I simply bring my foldable keyboard.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    • Crappy phone
    • PDA
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast