1.    #1  
    I've been running the 700P MR for about a week now. Initially, I was very happy with it, but after really using it this week I have some questions about how valuable this update really is. If you have not installed the update yet and are thinking about it, you need to think really hard. Here is what I'm finding:

PROS:

1. Bluetooth works great. I didn't know how screwed up bluetooth was untill I worked with a post-MR 700P.

2. The phone does seem to have less lag. At first it is like your phone recieved a major make over.

3. In general, the phone does crash less. IMO, this is mainly due to Palm disabling the user interface with the phone is searching for a the network.

CONS:

1. The unread email notification is gone.

2. The phone has issues with data connectivity. At first I didn't have this, but as I used my phone more this bug popped it's head. About half the time I use the directory assistance app, my Treo locks up because the dir assistance app can't access the net.

3. The hotsync conduit "PalmSync" no longer works with the 700p MR. PalmSync is a hotsync conduit that allows you to sync your Thunderbird addressbook with the Treo contacts dbase. This may seem trivial at first, but after days of searching I've not found a single, free, app that lets one sync Plaxo (via thunderbird) addresses with the Treo. This is a MAJOR issue for me.

4. My phone tends to freeze, not crash, for several seconds frequently. During this freeze, none of the Treo's buttons work. I've never seen this up until now.

When I look at the pros and cons, the only pro that has any value to me is the Bluetooth improvements. Yes, the updated bluetooth is nice, but is this worth giving up what I've listed in the CONS? The loss of the unread email icon and the data connectivity issues alone are huge loss.

Fortunately, I obtained my 700P MR through a warrenty replacement and I still have my old 700p as I've not sent it back yet. Tonight, I am going to reactivate my old 700p. IMO, this MR causing more problems that it solves.

Greg
    Wow, I didn't even notice that the Versamail unread e-mail notification icon no longer shows up. HEY PALM, READ THIS THREAD.
    Two days so far:

Of course the 1st 10 hours is like the honeymoon, then the honeymoon is over. I do get some sporadic data disconnects. But all I do is Gmail/Web/Google Maps. I noticed the little <-> Data icon above the signals goes black which means inactive or stand by or whatever. When its hot and working its GREEN.

The bluetooth is really solid this time around. The phone has ONLY rebooted on me ONCE when dialing out which is considerable compared to before.. where it would hang , laugh in your face for 2 freezing seconds, then reboot.

The phone does reboot out of the blue. and the biggest area where I get a SOLID reboot the most is when accessing the "Date & Time" in preferences. Emul68KMain.c, Line:403 illegal instruction (RandoM code) ... Oh $H!+.. while dictating the msg from my treo.. it rebooted.. how funny is that.. Re-Ran #*#377 and it got the same crash code as this morning. It rebooted directly to the Date and Time, Thats friggin spooky.

Dam... the only active 'hack' i have running is LightWav, I'll disable it and see if it runs normally.. Worst case.. I hard reset and instead of restoring.. Re-apply the MR from the website. I got my intial MR from the VZW Store.After that I'll install my Apps fresh... one by One... If it continues I'm seriously looking at the BB8830 even though i hate that dram trackball. After playing with it in the vzw store for 15 solid mins, you get use to it. I was hoping to give this MR a good solid week of heavy usage. But on Day 2.. im slightly annoyed now.
    no need to do the MR again. it is in ROM now...permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    Two days so far:

Of course the 1st 10 hours is like the honeymoon, then the honeymoon is over. I do get some sporadic data disconnects. But all I do is Gmail/Web/Google Maps. I noticed the little <-> Data icon above the signals goes black which means inactive or stand by or whatever. When its hot and working its GREEN.

The bluetooth is really solid this time around. The phone has ONLY rebooted on me ONCE when dialing out which is considerable compared to before.. where it would hang , laugh in your face for 2 freezing seconds, then reboot.

The phone does reboot out of the blue. and the biggest area where I get a SOLID reboot the most is when accessing the "Date & Time" in preferences. Emul68KMain.c, Line:403 illegal instruction (RandoM code) ... Oh $H!+.. while dictating the msg from my treo.. it rebooted.. how funny is that.. Re-Ran #*#377 and it got the same crash code as this morning. It rebooted directly to the Date and Time, Thats friggin spooky.

Dam... the only active 'hack' i have running is LightWav, I'll disable it and see if it runs normally.. Worst case.. I hard reset and instead of restoring.. Re-apply the MR from the website. I got my intial MR from the VZW Store.After that I'll install my Apps fresh... one by One... If it continues I'm seriously looking at the BB8830 even though i hate that dram trackball. After playing with it in the vzw store for 15 solid mins, you get use to it. I was hoping to give this MR a good solid week of heavy usage. But on Day 2.. im slightly annoyed now.
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    no need to do the MR again. it is in ROM now...permanently.
    What about doing a clean install instead of using a backup?