Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I'm currently using a 680 (pos) on AT&T and I'm thinking about going to the 755p on Sprint. I'm assuming that the major benefit would be the EV-DO speed which is exactly why I would make the change. Would there be any other advantages...or disadvantages.
    Thanks for any advice.
    --Nelson
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    I'm currently using a 680 (pos) on AT&T and I'm thinking about going to the 755p on Sprint. I'm assuming that the major benefit would be the EV-DO speed which is exactly why I would make the change. Would there be any other advantages...or disadvantages.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Palm also got rid of the stupid screen that they put in place of the normal phone screen. And EV-DO is waaaay better than EDGE.
    BIG ADVANTAGE Price for unlimited internet.

I'm in D.C. now, and I just love the internet speed as well as being on PdaNet now with speeds that are faster than my dsl at home.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Doesn't the 755p have twice the memory of the 680?

I would think that would be a significant advantage as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
    Doesn't the 755p have twice the memory of the 680?

I would think that would be a significant advantage as well.
    Well, Palm says that the 755p is 128 MB with 64 MB user available and the 680 is 64 MB with 64 MB of persistent user storage. Maybe someone with a 680 can chime in, but I thought the 680 and 755p had the same amount of user available storage.
    Palm IIIxe --> Tungsten C --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 755p EV-DO
    Ah, so Palm is being hinky with the speck standards?
    It is odd, the way the specs are written on the 680. The thing is, the 680 does not support a 3G network. It does have the smaller form factor, but it has the dorky main screen, instead of the traditional phone screen.
    Palm IIIxe --> Tungsten C --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 755p EV-DO
    hey nelson-

I just the did the exact thing you are thinking about it and dont regret it for a minute! With what I am saving with a sprint SERO plan for my 755 I was able to cost justify my early termination fee with cingular. The 755 feels more well built and I like the ruberized texture. The change to mini SD (4gb max) from the SD (8gb max) with the 680 is a downside though. EVDO kicks EDGE's **** and makes streaming awesome, I could never anything stream with my 680. My 755 seems much more stable than the 680 and has only crashed once or twice while my 680 crashed almost once a day. battery life is a little better in the 755. I had the custom ROM flashed on my 680 and though it was snappier than the cingular ROM I still think the Sprint ROM 755 is quicker. Over all I am a very happy I made the change!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the responses...
    The speed is very tempting and it doesn't sound like there is any major downside.
    Now it's time to try and make a decision
    --Nelson
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses...
    The speed is very tempting and it doesn't sound like there is any major downside.
    Now it's time to try and make a decision
    The 755p also has a higher mp camera. Not that it's any better quality, but hey, now you have high rez crappy pictures instead of low rez crappy pictures.

If you do wind up taking the plung to Sprint be sure to get on SERO like pauld5999 did...you just can't beat the pricing...

www.sprint.com/sero
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Gallo View Post
    The 755p also has a higher mp camera. Not that it's any better quality, but hey, now you have high rez crappy pictures instead of low rez crappy pictures.

If you do wind up taking the plung to Sprint be sure to get on SERO like pauld5999 did...you just can't beat the pricing...

www.sprint.com/sero
    I was not aware of how good the SERO plan is. It's better than our company corporate plan.
    Thanks,
    --Nelson
    If Sprint has good coverage for you then I would suggest moving over. The Sprint speed, price (with SERO), as well the ability to get phone insurance with instore exchange is a great deal. Another minor plus is that the Sprint CDMA phones do not make that annoying buzzing noise when you get near speakers that GSM phones do.

The only thing I miss from Cingular/ATT is the ability to switch out my phone with a simple SIM card change. I rarely go out of the country, but if I did I wouldn't bring my $600 phone anyways.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    If Sprint has good coverage for you then I would suggest moving over. The Sprint speed, price (with SERO), as well the ability to get phone insurance with instore exchange is a great deal. Another minor plus is that the Sprint CDMA phones do not make that annoying buzzing noise when you get near speakers that GSM phones do.

The only thing I miss from Cingular/ATT is the ability to switch out my phone with a simple SIM card change. I rarely go out of the country, but if I did I wouldn't bring my $600 phone anyways.
    Stroths- good points i forgot to mention! I can now keep my phone next to my alarm clock without that annoying GSHummmmmm!
    Sprint made it a bit easier for you to move over by offerring extra $100 mail in rabate for 755P starting today. The price is reduced to $199 now for 755P. I'm also looking at HTC 6800. Its price is reduced to $299.
    what is Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices? how is this different from text messages? do you get unlimited text with SERO?
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    what is Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices? how is this different from text messages? do you get unlimited text with SERO?
    They just had an unlimited text promotion with SERO that ened 6/30, dont know if they are going to or already have started a new unlimited text promo but I am sure with the right banter with CS one could get that promo
    Quote Originally Posted by pauld5999 View Post
    They just had an unlimited text promotion with SERO that ened 6/30, dont know if they are going to or already have started a new unlimited text promo but I am sure with the right banter with CS one could get that promo
    When I originally signed up for SERO, it didn't have unlimited text. When I saw that unlimited text deal on the SERO site, I called in and Sprint added it on to my plan
    thanks but what is picture mail?
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone for helping me think this through.
    I just ordered the 755p as well as the usb data card.
    I was forced into this by the need for speed with a data card. The SERO plan was what made this whole move worthwhile.
    Perhaps I'll go back to AT&T when they have HSUPA up and running.
    --Nelson
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'm ditching the 680 for the 755p. Tried out the iPhone for about a week and a half, but the slowness of EDGE drove me bonkers. I recently signed up for a SERO plan, and it's free EVDO -- yay!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast