Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    First off, I'm using a 680 (unlocked if that matters) and I took a peek on the forums and could'nt find an answer, if I missed it let me know and I'll search again..

Ok I'm fed up with Palm's built in key lock program, the one that should prevent accidental dials, but it still happens. I carry the Treo in my pocket, and would like to continue, but if I use the security lock I've in the past called 911 from my pocket, and with the keylock on I just called my friends place now from my pocket... it's like 8am here, he wasn't impressed.

Is there a better program out there (free would be nice but I don't care at this point) that actually will prevent the treo from accidentlly dialing AND works on the 680? One with a security code to enter would be great.

Thanks for any advice out there
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    I believe Butler has an option for 2 key unlock or somthing along the lines.

visit www.hobbyistsoftware.com
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks I'll check it out!
    KeyGEx.....great app, locks everything and has the option of using a slider on the lock to unlock the phone. No password though.
    Consider how much force you're putting on the phone if you dial accidentally that much. You might want to consider a different way of carrying the Treo, such as a horizontal case or something.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Just curious, do you use Takephone and 4cast? If I leave Takephone as the last screen when I turn it off, the keygaurd does not come on when 4cast does a refresh. I accidentally called two people doing this. I think this is a bug and Shimon is looking into it. The keygaurd does come on for all other programs, so I am leaving my last screen as 2day, which is an easy workaround to the problem for now.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Hmm not sure about Butler, just seems to change the keys required to unlock. Not using either of those apps either. It seems like something IS turning off the lock tho (not sure about Butler yet)

I'll give KeyGEx a go too.

Edit - just carrying it in my pocket, don't keep keys or anything else in there.
    Too bad Treoguard is no longer updated/supported!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Try KeepOff. Prevents any key press from turning on phone except power button. Been using it since my Treo 600.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Consider how much force you're putting on the phone if you dial accidentally that much. You might want to consider a different way of carrying the Treo, such as a horizontal case or something.
    I have to say that I love the 680: it's rugged and after 6 months looks relatively new even without the case. I generally put it in my front pocket. It doesn't take even a tight pair of jeans to disable the built in keyguard and take me someplace random, like calling a person I haven't talked to in five years or opening the camera. All I have to do is mash the keys on the front in a random way in order to defeat the keyguard. It's really easy to open the phone without specific input. You shouldn't have to have a case in order to not have random keypresses.

All software solutions are second best to a hardware switch. Can anyone tell me why you can't remap the the keylock to the ringer switch on the top? The ringer is a physical on/off switch that would be difficult to enable without wanting to. Also, it's on the top, which is less likely to accidentally mashed. The on/off ringer could be software set, which would not be such a problem.

Any thoughts?
    I just tried KeyGuardEx and perhaps I'm missing the point, but as a test, if you randomly mash your thumbs on the front of the Treo, it's quite easy to defeat the KeyGuard and go somewhere random on the Treo. When can we get a solution that is impervious to a series of random key mashes? Perhaps I'm expecting too much.