Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'd like to install an app to manage the keyboard lights. Does this sort of app really help with battery conservation (I have a 680 so you know this is important!). What are the choices, and are there any that are free?
  2. #2  
    KBLights....I like my keyboard without lights......My bad, I am now using Keyshades.
    Last edited by cadman; 07/12/2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: additional info
  3. #3  
    keyshades, free
  4. #4  
    I used Twilight (mytreo.net/downloads/details-739.html) on my 650 and 700p, I have it set to turn off the lights after 6:00am and turn them back on at 7:00pm. It also has a manual on/off option. It too, is free.
  5. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
       #5  
    ok, Keyshades has the best reviews of the two freebies, and it seems to do the trick, with easy launching of the kbd when necessary. I don't type much in the dark so I think this will work for me Thanks all! Now to see if it affects the battery life. I would rather have the kbd off and the screen brighter than both set low to save power. Any tipe here would be helpful.
  6. #6  
    Just to let y'all know, in case you're looking to pay for an app to help out with this....

    None of those will keep the keyboard lights off during a call. They turn on after the screen has dimmed. It's a real pain, especially when you're on the phone in a dark place (driving at night, late night phone call, etc.).

    Does anyone know of a setting or program that will keep them off??
  7. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Just to let y'all know, in case you're looking to pay for an app to help out with this....

    None of those will keep the keyboard lights off during a call. They turn on after the screen has dimmed. It's a real pain, especially when you're on the phone in a dark place (driving at night, late night phone call, etc.).

    Does anyone know of a setting or program that will keep them off??
    I heard that that was an OS limitation, so it won't be possible I guess. I'm OK with it during calls since my main reason for wanting it is to help with the battery life. If it only occasionally comes on I'm fine.
  8. #8  
    ^TreoGuard did a good job of turning off the screen & keyboard while on a call. One of my essential apps on the 600. It actually worked on my 700P also with minor glitches but I'm using a different hotsync name and can't get hold of the developer so the trial expires. Phone technician also turns off the screen and keyboard while on a call. I think it costs too much and has less features than TreoGuard though.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  9. #9  
    That's right, Phone Technician did turn everything off, which I liked, but for some reason, I removed it. I think TreoGuard did it too. I forgot why I removed them. I think I didn't want to pay all that just for one little feature. I may have had problems turning the lights back on to send a text or something also. I'll try it again in a few days (I've been working overnights the past few days and it's really messing me up) and let y'all know.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I used Twilight (mytreo.net/downloads/details-739.html) on my 650 and 700p, I have it set to turn off the lights after 6:00am and turn them back on at 7:00pm. It also has a manual on/off option. It too, is free.
    ...just gave Twilight a try. I was using Keyshades but I don't have Superman vision at night and it was getting cumbersome when typing using the screen's light. I will now have to see how much battery juice I can still salvage with the key lights being toggled.
    at&t iPhone3G
  11. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    ...just gave Twilight a try. I was using Keyshades but I don't have Superman vision at night and it was getting cumbersome when typing using the screen's light. I will now have to see how much battery juice I can still salvage with the key lights being toggled.
    The side button toggles the light in Keyshades, so you do have the lights when you need them. Unless I misunderstand your issue.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    The side button toggles the light in Keyshades, so you do have the lights when you need them. Unless I misunderstand your issue.
    Damn, I feel stupid. Thanks...I have only been using keyshades for a couple of days before I tried Twilight. I might stick with Twilight since it does the toggling automatically. I usually can get a couple of days out of my device but since I moved further out in the country resulting in spotty coverage in my house, my 700p drains faster with its constant search for a better signal when I use it, and if not I keep it upstairs where the signal is better...and no, I don't force roam as much as I use to, especially after Sprints latest line of contract exacutions. All in all, I have been looking for any solution to try to aid in battery life.
    at&t iPhone3G
  13. #13  
    I use ProfileCare, so it manages my keyboard lights for me.

    BTW, I seriously doubt the keyboard lights have much affect on battery life. Probably lit by a few LEDs.
  14. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW, I seriously doubt the keyboard lights have much affect on battery life. Probably lit by a few LEDs.
    Yeah, but perception is what percent of reality again?
  15. #15  
    I just don't like them on when I don't need them at night. They're too bright and distracting. I guess if I've ALWAYS had them, it wouldn't bother me, but since I could turn them off on my 650, I've become a little spoiled.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I use ProfileCare, so it manages my keyboard lights for me.

    BTW, I seriously doubt the keyboard lights have much affect on battery life. Probably lit by a few LEDs.
    I'm reachin khytsus...little here, a little there and it all adds up in the end. Thanks, I am happy you weren't disgruntle with me as you have been with others lately.
    at&t iPhone3G
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I'm reachin khytsus...little here, a little there and it all adds up in the end. Thanks, I am happy you weren't disgruntle with me as you have been with others lately.
  18. #18  
    Just think Apollo13... A little here, a little there is what got them from the moon back to earth.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers

Posting Permissions