1.    #1  
    After 2.5 YEARS on this site, I FINALLY have a TREO!! A sexy, blue 755. Me so happy! It arrived yesterday. I havent been around much lately, so I get to act like a NEWBIE, which actually I am since this is my first palm device. I'm not a power user, but hanging around here I want to be!

I just have a few questions. I've read that I need to install an uninstaller before I install ANYTHING. Is there a free one that is recommended? (This thing is like a child, it costs you extra before it even arrives! )

Also, I see that lots of folx use launcher programs, is this what I need to get rid of all the extra icons that I will never use? And is this how you guys get all the nifty back grounds?

The Treo 755 section doesnt have as much "beginner" info, I think mainly because so many here are upgrading and familiar with the Treo and the apps available. Is it safe to say that the treo 700p programs are compatible with 755? The 700 p section seems to have a lot more "how to" threads, and I dont want to bug the heck out of you guys or get slapped with a "do a search!!"

The instructions that I've seen else where for doing a custom splash screen, will those work on the 755 too? I didnt see anything in the 755 section, but I havent finished researching everything. Also I wasnt sure if I had to have a seperate file manager to do something like that, I thought I saw a file manager included in the software I have, but I wasnt sure if it did the same thing as the ones you guys spoke of. If I need something different what do you recommend?

The only other things I want are a weather program, bible software, (I know I have seen that here lots of times, I will do a search), fitness (I decided on rmr), volume care, call recorder. (I decided on call rec). I still have to get an SD card so I havent downloaded anything yet.

From what I've read, I can choose to sync with outlook but to get outlook on the Treo I need to purchase a seperate app, is that correct? Can the versamail program be used to sync with outlook, since it comes with the phone? I wasnt sure so I set it to sync with the palm desktop. I dont use the email acct I have in outlook much anyway.

I appreciate any assistance you guys can give me. Its one thing to read about everything over time and have a basic understanding, and another thing to actually apply the info hands on once you have the device. I know most of the old timers here arent really excited over the 755 since it wasnt a giant leap from what palm has put out there in the past, and a lot of this is elementary to you, but I appreciate any help you can give or threads you recommend I read to get a basic grasp on things!!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    do a search!!

j/k

um half way thru that essay my A.D.D. kicked in...
    HTC Touch Pro
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    do a search!!

j/k

um half way thru that essay my A.D.D. kicked in...
    Awwwww I tried searching on some of it, but everything I've read is somewhat muddled from the months of taking in info but not being able to apply it.

Wait. Treo central folx dont have A.D.D. These folx write and read 1 million word dissertations on the advantages of gsm vs cdma. Repeatedly. lol
    Uninstall Manager (not free but the best)
    FileZ (free file manager) does more thane the one included but that is usefule aslo
    I like HourlyXcast it's free but does require Java (also free)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Uninstall Manager (not free but the best)
    FileZ (free file manager) does more thane the one included but that is usefule aslo
    I like HourlyXcast it's free but does require Java (also free)
    Thanks!! I havent heard of HourlyXcast, but I will research it!!
    Use the device as it is for a few weeks before you do anything to it at all.

Only then will you know what needs YOU have that aren't being met. And, I mean NEEDS not "oh this is so cool" that doesn't really matter.

I personally wouldn't use alternate launchers or anything like that, by the way, but that's just me.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    Use the device as it is for a few weeks before you do anything to it at all.

Only then will you know what needs YOU have that aren't being met. And, I mean NEEDS not "oh this is so cool" that doesn't really matter.

I personally wouldn't use alternate launchers or anything like that, by the way, but that's just me.

Tom

I wouldn't either, they eat memory, and cause lag.
    Matty
  8.    #8  
    Thanks guys! This forum is THE BEST!!

I'm still getting used to the palm software, so holding off probably is a good idea. I know I want the callrec and the rmr fitness program but I can wait. If I could just get one ringer from my old phone I would proably be in hog heaven for the time being.
    I want a bluetooth headest for it too. I looked at the reviews on treonauts (yay! I'm finally a TREOnaut! ) and I wanted to get the jabra125, but I read Treoneo say that the reviewer says ALL the headsets are good headsets, and some reviewers do that to increase sales. It looks like most folx here use the more expensive ones and a third party software for stereo.

I have to say that so far I LOVE this phone. Now I know why it's so popular and why everyone rides palm so hard to get the software right. The form factor IS practically perfect. I have fat fingers and I was worried about being able to type on it, but I just entered about 100 contacts and it goes very smoothly with very few mistakes. I know a lot of people say that it's too big and needs to slim down, but I like gadgets with some substance, so its perfect for me!!

Thanks for letting me share my excitement. I know a lot of folx here are old school and have seen and done everything treo, so I really appreciate it!!