1.    #1  
    I have been getting these reset ( random on and offs)on my treo 755. It was suggested that i use palminternal. i ran it on my treo however im not sure what this means see below

I have some type of conflicting software on my treo
    Here is how the report reads.

count 288 of 290
    pdb protected database
    deletion
    11 ringcare
    14 volume care
    bdic
    20 bdicty
    epd4----
    33 bugme2004
    kct6-----
    44 butler
    n680
    46 ringcare
    ricr
    69 ringcare
    cbar108 bugme2004
    109bdicty
    hapl
    145dialbt photo pri-1
    ring care
    volume care
    hapq
    148 backupman
    ---hots---hotsync staryed
    164 ringcare
    164 volume care
    hych---
    175 dialbyphoto
    176 genius
    pmut---
    211 ringcare
    212dialbyphoto
    ---rstf---reset finish
    220--- backupman
    ---scrs---
    224 palminternals
    sync---- hotsync finished
    245 ringcare
    252 volume care
    253--- slideshow to go
    261 wordview
    volm--- volumemounted
    279 backup man
    volu---volume unmounted
    285 ringcare

I have taken off lexspell dialbyphoto and ringcare
    since then the resets have stopped its been all day
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 07/17/2007 at 07:56 AM.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  2.    #2  
    any help?
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Download trace instead. I like it better because it is basic enough for me to understand than palm internals.
    Did you ever do ##377 Dial to see what the error log said was the cause (even though it doesn't always give you the best info)...

you also don't mention when/what you are doing when it soft resets..

those will help figure out what the issue is...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Did you ever do ##377 Dial to see what the error log said was the cause (even though it doesn't always give you the best info)...

you also don't mention when/what you are doing when it soft resets..

those will help figure out what the issue is...
    The treo will just be sitting there in my case on the table,on the bed, where ever. it seems like it does it most of the time when i am not doing anything

I posted this in another thread about ##377 it doesnt read anything. its alway the old reset mine is dated 6/16/07 and the reason says phone.

note that since i have taken off butler, dial by photo and lexspell i have not had any resets. only one I have had is when i did a back up with back up man.

Also why these application you may ask ?. well i went thru this site and looked for all the trouble application people reported about and these where the ones i had on my device.
    and for sure lex spell when setting are set it will reset the device. i did send the developer an email and have not heard back from him/her
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 07/17/2007 at 07:52 AM.
  6.    #6  
    help
  7.    #7  
    help anybody using palminternal ?
    I need to know what this means see above first post
    You should probably look at the main screen when PI starts up, it shows you the "alarms". Alarms are how different Palm applications ask the Palm OS to "wake them up" at some future time to do some work. The assumption is that since you are not doing anything with the palm when it resets, that it is resetting when an alarm pops and the corresponding application tries to do some work.

On the main alarm screen, it will show the time and the application for each alarm. That may help you figure out what's up (if there is an alarm set for 11:15 and the treo resets at 11:15, you probably found the culprit). In all likelyhood there are alarms for stuff like mail programs, IM programs, etc. that are set and reset every several minutes (you can tell this because if you run PI multiple times a few minutes apart, there are alarms for these programs set a few minutes in the future each time).

Try disabling each of these programs to see if it helps (disconnect, log out, disable mail checking, etc).
    Ok... let me try to help.

First-off, is that the complete listing? It appears to be too "short"

Anyways, PI is no good for diagnosing the kind of problems you are facing, a better bet is to install RNS:: TraceCrash or the simple #*377 (GSM) to figure out what caused the crash.

What PI notifications list tells you is which applications are registered to receive which notifications. e.g., the applications(s) registered to receive an 'hapq' ("application quit") notification will be informed every time an active application is quit. The notified application then then use this "opportunity" to do something. The "time changed" notification is used by several applications to set or reset their alarms.

Sometimes this information may help in diagnosing the problem, but not always.

Just remember that the application that is "blamed" in #*377 as having caused the crash may also not be the actual culprit. Some other application may be messing-up in the background, or may have "corrupted" the memory when the application was active, leaving it to take the blame. The clue here is if you get constant resets (or other problems) with several applications, especially apps that have been widely recognised as being free of bugs. (see comment below).

Like robbalazs has suggested, the only way to figure this one out is to start from the begining, installing each application and using the device for some time (I'd say, at least one full day) to see if it is stable.

Another clue is from forums of this type. Some programs have been known to cause resets and other problems, and these are reported and discussed there. You'd not expect any problems with long-standing programs like, say, PI or FileZ to cause problems. Popular applications like ChatterEmail or DtoG also should also not cause problems. On the other hand there are programs like CallFilter which have been known to have caused problems. Palm VersaMail (at least pre-v3.1) and Messaging applications are not entirely bug-free, and, are known to cause freezes and resets. These are all clues to what could be to blame.

- mvk

PS: What is your "Speed Test" report?

PPS: The PI listing is missing some important notifications that one would expect, say 'hede' or 'hvch' or 'time' (not that these should be listed, but these are quiet "popular")

Last edited by GreenHex; 07/17/2007 at 10:51 AM.
    I think comedytreogirl said that #*377 did not show a reset... TraceCrash may or may not show the reset info (depending on whats in the trace DB). I agree that it is worth a shot. I was simply pointing out that the data that was posted from PI is probably not the data that will help indicate why the treo is crashing, and that the alarm data from PI may indicate why the treo is crashing. Since PI is already installed, I'd start there. I also use TraceCrash, and that's worth a shot too.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Ok... let me try to help.

First-off, is that the complete listing? It appears to be too "short"

Anyways, PI is no good for diagnosing the kind of problems you are facing, a better bet is to install RNS:: TraceCrash or the simple #*377 (GSM) to figure out what caused the crash.

What PI notifications list tells you is which applications are registered to receive which notifications. e.g., the applications(s) registered to receive an 'hapq' ("application quit") notification will be informed every time an active application is quit. The notified application then then use this "opportunity" to do something. The "time changed" notification is used by several applications to set or reset their alarms.

Sometimes this information may help in diagnosing the problem, but not always.

Just remember that the application that is "blamed" in #*377 as having caused the crash may also not be the actual culprit. Some other application may be messing-up in the background, or may have "corrupted" the memory when the application was active, leaving it to take the blame. The clue here is if you get constant resets (or other problems) with several applications, especially apps that have been widely recognised as being free of bugs. (see comment below).

Like robbalazs has suggested, the only way to figure this one out is to start from the begining, installing each application and using the device for some time (I'd say, at least one full day) to see if it is stable.

Another clue is from forums of this type. Some programs have been known to cause resets and other problems, and these are reported and discussed there. You'd not expect any problems with long-standing programs like, say, PI or FileZ to cause problems. Popular applications like ChatterEmail or DtoG also should also not cause problems. On the other hand there are programs like CallFilter which have been known to have caused problems. Palm VersaMail (at least pre-v3.1) and Messaging applications are not entirely bug-free, and, are known to cause freezes and resets. These are all clues to what could be to blame.

- mvk

PS: What is your "Speed Test" report?

PPS: The PI listing is missing some important notifications that one would expect, say 'hede' or 'hvch' or 'time' (not that these should be listed, but these are quiet "popular")

yes this is the complete list. me giving a short list would only short myself to get the help i needed.
    i was asked to download this and report what was on the screen . I was not given any answers as to what the cause was. i just was told it wasnt this application or that one.

when asked to explain it was not.
    since then i have deleted all application done a hard reset and have begun to load each application one at a time .
    .to make my self clear the phone will just turn on then off. no data missing. its like i powered it of and then back on.
    I have yet to install dial by photo, lex spell, butler, ring care and mundu.
    i got a feeling that its one of these. ringcare was the last thing that i downloaded before it happened. the phone would turn onf and on every 10-20 min or every 5-10min

why would i be asked to download this if it wasnt a help to me finding the application that did this?