1.    #1  
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone is using PDANet to connect to internet from laptop w/o the data plan?
    I have the unlimited internet plan ( 19.99) and not the data plan ( 39.99) with Cingular and wondering if I use PDAnet will Cingular somehow know and burn me with data charges?

BTW, PDANet is an awesome software.

hhol
    I use the same setup and it works just fine. There was only one incident a while back when I used the data plan outside of the country, and Cingular charged me for the data usage. I argued that I have an unlimited data plan ($19.99) and they promptly removed the extra charges.
    yea, I have the unlimited data (39.99) and I haven't had any problems yet either. It is awesome by the way.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    wait, you can roam into another country's network and NOT get charged for data!!?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mthreenixon View Post
    yea, I have the unlimited data (39.99) and I haven't had any problems yet either. It is awesome by the way.
    I hope it's $240 more awesome than the $20 plan which is the exact same.
    I thought the smartphone connect unlimited plan is only for window mobile based phones only. How did you get to sign up for that on a Treo 680?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    just don't tell them you have a treo, and have one of those WM Smartphones with a normal keypad. =D
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante View Post
    I use the same setup and it works just fine. There was only one incident a while back when I used the data plan outside of the country, and Cingular charged me for the data usage. I argued that I have an unlimited data plan ($19.99) and they promptly removed the extra charges.
    Are you saying that you can use the $19.99 unlimited data plan outside of the USA and not incur any roaming fees? That would be a big deal for me.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Does the $19.99 unlimited data plan include sms messages? or do they count under a different messaging count?
    The Media Max 200 includes 200 messages for $20 a month. You can get Media Max unlimited for $40 (I think) which has both unlimited data and messages.
    Media Max packages are here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ia(TM)+Bundles
    $20 is the cheapest with unlimited data.

And yes, they work with PDA Net just fine. There is no difference between Media max and PDA Personal Max plans except for the price.
    Usually you can add it to your Treo online by logging in to your account and selecting "Add/Manage features." Then select Media max. I works regardless of your phone usually.
    If you already have a data and messaging plan (separately.) you may have to remove both and complete the transaction first, then go back and add Media max.
    I recently upgraded my wife from MEdia Basics to MEdia Works because she needs 3-4M/month, worked no problem in the OLAM.
    Is it true that I can use my treo when I travel out of the country and not incur any charges...

BTW, I have PDA unlimited for 49.99$..:-(...
    I was scared to lie to them....so now my bill comes upto 100$ per month(including the voice plan)

I posting this because if anyone else can see ways to save money pls do so..otherwise u'll be stuck with this plan then!!...
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxion2005 View Post
    Is it true that I can use my treo when I travel out of the country and not incur any charges...

BTW, I have PDA unlimited for 49.99$..:-(...
    I was scared to lie to them....so now my bill comes upto 100$ per month(including the voice plan)

I posting this because if anyone else can see ways to save money pls do so..otherwise u'll be stuck with this plan then!!...
    Can you read? Get on the online account manager and change it. Sheesh.
    Well Mr. Sheeshh...

Changing with the online acct manager IS lying too...

I dont want to save money by cheating!!...

Thanx for ur time anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxion2005 View Post
    Well Mr. Sheeshh...

Changing with the online acct manager IS lying too...

I dont want to save money by cheating!!...

Thanx for ur time anyways...
    Cingular charging you $360 more/yr for the same service, then suit yourself. Are you using gigs of data a month? Maybe just 20-30m? I'd say if you're using less than a gig, then you should certainly be using the $20 plan. If you're tethering and using gigs a month, then perhaps you "should" use the other plan.
    It is not against the terms and conditions to USE media max on a PDA. This has been confirmed by AT&T CS. If you have it, you can use it.
    It is against their (internal, no written or publicized in any way that you can know about) policy for you to GET it by deception. But adding it online is not lying. They and the OLAM system know what phone you're using and allows you to buy it.

Most rebates and discounts require you to upgrade to PDA connect when you buy their phones, so this is how they encourage you to upgrade from MEdia Max when you get a PDA.
    But if you got a PDA, didn't take the PDA connect discount, you wouldn't have to upgrade the Media Max plan. This is another way of obtaining it on a PDA completely legitimately.

Using PDANet on a Media Max plan or any other form of tethering on Media max is expressly forbidden in the T&C. So whether they enforce this or not (and currently they don't) it is always a risk you take.

I assume as more people do it they will find a way to enforce it.