View Poll Results: Has Installing the MR on Your 700P Made it Better or Worse?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • My 700P works better. Installing the MR was worth it.

47 61.04%
  • My 700P is worse. Don't install the MR.

23 29.87%
  • I have not noticed a difference.

7 9.09%
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Seems like we are getting a lot of mixed results from the MR. I am curious to see how the numbers play out.
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney
    Much worse. I didn't know how good I had it. I would have been much better not updating the MR. I didn't have any big issues, I just wanted better bluetooth. That's not worth losing my data connection, constantly getting freezes, and frequently coming into and out of network service when that never happened before.
    Mine did not have MAJOR prolems prior to the MR, but enough lag and freezes to persuade me to do the MR.

Glad I did. Everything seems to work much better now.
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    You don't really have enough choices to make the poll worthwhile, IMHO. In my case it helped with one problem (wrong number displayed on carkit), created another (Error 3000 messages), and did nothing for other things like lags (never had them) and temporary freezes during Network activity (had and still have them).
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    You don't really have enough choices to make the poll worthwhile, IMHO. In my case it helped with one problem (wrong number displayed on carkit), created another (Error 3000 messages), and did nothing for other things like lags (never had them) and temporary freezes during Network activity (had and still have them).
    I wanted the poll to be about whether or not to install the MR. That is why I made the choices that I did. Voting is really about whether or not you recommend others to install the MR.
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m

Arizona DUI Attorney
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russelb View Post
    I wanted the poll to be about whether or not to install the MR. That is why I made the choices that I did. Voting is really about whether or not you recommend others to install the MR.
    Yes, but you can't "see how the numbers play out" without adding at least a catagory like, "Mixed results - Can't recommend one way or another." You put down "better," "worse," or "no difference" as the only options, and many, many people seem to have had a mixed bag. As I said, my Treo is now all three of your choices. I personally wouldn't recommend either installing or avoiding the MR, so I can't answer your poll. Nor can many, many others. If you wanted to create a poll that many people can't answer, you've done a great job. If you don't see the value of knowing how many people are in my situation, I can't really help that.
    Generally better. Especially BT. It's actually usable now...all day...multiple calls with no drops...and quick connections with the BT headset (Jawbone).

But I've got the touch tone issues documented elsewhere. Also, it seems the device freaks out at times (BT not working well, stuttery screen refreshes, choking on data connections, and just general weirdness/flaky behavior at times which are generally unique and seem unrepeatable) which prompt me to soft reset, then everything is fine...for a while.

It kinda reminds me of Windows 98...remember when you got to a point where you said to yourself: Self, It's time for a scrape and wipe, because this computer is just funky. And after you reinstall everything just seemed to work well...for a while.

But yes, generally things are better...
    The only change I have noticed is that highlighting text which was a pain on my 700P and 650 now works just fine.

On the negative side my call log only works intermittently.

Quote Originally Posted by russelb View Post
    Seems like we are getting a lot of mixed results from the MR. I am curious to see how the numbers play out.
    Battery worse
    pTunes still skips
    weird sounds
    lags still there.
    had to install the patch (3 files) to restore higher volume levels

BT is better
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Yes, but you can't "see how the numbers play out" without adding at least a catagory like, "Mixed results - Can't recommend one way or another." You put down "better," "worse," or "no difference" as the only options, and many, many people seem to have had a mixed bag. As I said, my Treo is now all three of your choices. I personally wouldn't recommend either installing or avoiding the MR, so I can't answer your poll. Nor can many, many others. If you wanted to create a poll that many people can't answer, you've done a great job. If you don't see the value of knowing how many people are in my situation, I can't really help that.
    I think your answer would fall under the "No Difference" category, because you had problems before and you had problems after, and you indicate that the problems balance out so you don't advocate a Yes or a No. You can certainly (and you have) qualify your vote by explaining why you voted the way you did. This is like the SAT test: pick the best answer; the answer that most closely matches your predicament.

Arizona DUI Attorney
    I say its overall better - especially the BT enhancements - not only does my BT stay connected longer, but callers say I sound a lot better to them. For this reason alone, I answered "Better."

That said, other changes are really marginal. Then, there's the fuzzy text (black pixel fuzz) issue & the funny noises (some of which will be heard even when the silent switch is activated). Not a terrible bother, but it really makes you think there might be something wrong with your hardware since not all are noticing the fuzzy problem.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Absolutely awesome results and performance improvement after the MR update! See my specific comments in several of the other threads here.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I had the MR installed in store on Thursday. I did a hard reset both before and after. I then #228 opt 1 it. I manually reinstalled all of my old applications. I did not restore from a backup.

There seems to be less lag between screens. I have had a few issues when using data apps where the phone did not want to automatically connect to the internet. I resolve this by turning the radio off and then turning it back on again.

I have not noticed any improvements with bluetooth. I have a Jawbone and it stays connected during calls, but disconnects pretty frequently when not in a call and then spontaneously reconnects. The three beeps in my ear is annoying.

I have only had the phone spontaneously reset one time. I was using AvantGo. This happened frequently in the past. I will have to use the phone for a while longer before I can assess whether spontaneous resets and freezeups improves. The jury is still out on this one.

Overall, I would say the MR is worth the install. It has not really caused me any problems, although I don't think it has transformed my Treo into a trouble free device.

I am due for an phone upgrade in April of 2008, and Palm does not have any guarantees that I will stick with them.

Arizona DUI Attorney
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I've definitely seen an improvement. I updated my Vz 700p using an SD card, followed every direction on Palm's website to the letter, then reinstalled every application, one by one, from scratch and used BackupBuddy (desktop so I could roll back to earlier backups) to reinstall my files, data and preferences. The initial update was 25 minutes and the reinstall of all apps took about 3 hours. So far no problems and everything seems fine.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I followed the directions to the letter. Now my phone freezes more and I also get the annoying tone when it skips in and out of service, despite all tones being turned off.

What a POS. The other day the freezes cost me several important phone calls when it would not let me answer or hang up. God forbid if this ever happens when a patient needs me or when I am trying to report a fire.
    South Central PA - the area time forgot when it comes to wireless.

Verizon Treo 755P, VersaMail, SplashNotes, eMedic, ePocrates, Hazmatter, Street Drugs, mLights, LEDOff, KeyCaps600, Palm Insider, BackUp Buddy,

Device Graveyard: Treo 700P, Treo 650P, Kyocera 7135, Kyocera 6035, Blackberry, Palm V with OmniSky Modem, Palm III with Novatel modem and land line modem, US Robotics PalmPilot (original)
    I rely on my device to get email / calender / contacts while on the road. Since I travel a lot, having the update bust EAS (no calender sync except one way - items created on the Palm appear on the server but not vice versa) and creating connectivity problems (timeouts, failure to connect) that I had not experienced before has made my 700p basically useless. Palm has no more early ROM versions so going back was not an option for me.

It seems quicker with fewer lags but I for me that's table stakes; given Palm's enterprise push my guess is they are trying hard to find and fix the problems and will release a patch as soon as they work the bugs out.

Oddly enough, ATT's lock on the iPhone works in their favor - had Sprint/VZW come out with EVDO versions and EAS support I'd bet the TREO (POS and WM) and all the other WM devices would have seen their sales fall off a cliff. Now, all I can hope for is:

1) Palm wows us with the Treo 800 due Q1 08;
    2)Apple builds the iPhone tech into a video iPod with a 4.5" or larger screen in widescreen format.