Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So there is a new version of Google Maps out: 1.2.0.8

How is this different/better than version 1.1.2 that is installed in ROM on my 755p? Is it worth it to install the newer version?

If you install the new version, would it over write the version in ROM? Or would you be stuck with two versions, one in ROM and one in normal memory (or on the card if you use zlauncher or something similar?)

Is it possible to remove the version in ROM if you install the new version?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    And it seems to have installed over the previous version in ROM. I haven't used resco to verify this. However, I only have one googlemaps in the finder and when it launches it is the updated version 1.2.0.8. Hopefully this version won't cause any crashes, etc. of course ymmv.
    Apps installed in RAM take precedence over apps in ROM. The ROM app is still there but will not show unless you delete the app in RAM.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Apps installed in RAM take precedence over apps in ROM. The ROM app is still there but will not show unless you delete the app in RAM.
    Thanks. Didn't know that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Good to know! So if I install the NEW google map and us it, it saves maps to a folder on the SD card, right?

So if I end up un-installing it, the older version in ROM would then be visible, BUT would it use the same folder and have access to the same maps?
    I was holding off on installing this as I did not want to give up the memory (I lost about 500mb) over having just the ROM version. I went ahead and did it.
    It does seem pretty cool, maybe I'll use it more often now....
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    So there is a new version of Google Maps out: 1.2.0.8

How is this different/better than version 1.1.2 that is installed in ROM on my 755p? Is it worth it to install the newer version?
    How is it different from the old version?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    There are now "quick menu access" buttons across the top, a traffic feature (I don't think the old version had that) and some other things that are more applicable to those with older Treos (adding in contacts look up options). Plus I guess it is slightly faster and cleaner looking.
    Good to know! So if I install the NEW google map and us it, it saves maps to a folder on the SD card, right?

So if I end up un-installing it, the older version in ROM would then be visible, BUT would it use the same folder and have access to the same maps?
    I have some of these same questions...?
    I never really used mine all that much and am not sure if I want to give up the memory and any stability...?
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    The default version does include traffic information.
    Yeah - I just deleted it and went back to the ROM version and saw that it did have traffic in the ROM version too. I toyed with the idea of installing it for a couple of days and read all of this today and decided to do it. I have not had a reset in about 2 weeks and just don't feel like tempting fate right now, so I uninstalled it.
    I just don't use it enough to really worry about upgrading, but it is nice to know that one can, it is free, and seems to play well with other programs.
    Works well with Directory Assistant too?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Yes it does.

I've never paid attention to the maps folders. I don't see a Google folders on my card. But, I don't generally save maps.

It's possible that if you delete the newer version, the maps folder could be deleted as well. I doubt it, but not for sure. The same is true as to whether the older version could access the "newer" folder. If the format is the same, then it would probably be able to access the maps.
    How can I save a set of directions from inside googlemaps so that I can use it when I don't have data access?
    Quote Originally Posted by twocrifasis View Post
    How can I save a set of directions from inside googlemaps so that I can use it when I don't have data access?
    I would copy the text and paste it in a memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by twocrifasis View Post
    you could use snap(free screen capture app) and take pics of the route turn by turn...
    HTC Touch Pro
    Has the "bug" been fixed where if you save a looked-up entry as a contact, it doesn't fill in the "State" information (so the "Map" button in "Contacts" won't work)?

Every time I do a "Save to Contacts", I have to go in and manually edit the address to move the state to the "State" field.
    Palm Pre
    Yes! It's fixed!
    Palm Pre
    I downloaded this and it is MUCH better than the one that came on the T755.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast