Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Has anyone here tried an 8GB SDHC card since doing the MR? If so and it worked, what brand did you use?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Add one more question. Does the 8BG card show the card memory available and used correctly and not in two GB blocks?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    can some one tell what the class 4 vs class 6 means? is one faster?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    The SD Association has created and defined 3 speed classes to help you identify speed and performancecapabilities/minimum requirements of SD/SDHC cards and the host products.

The SD Speed Class Ratings specify a minimum sustained write speed for SDHC cards (Class 2: 2 MB/s; Class 4: 4 MB/s; Class 6: 6
    MB/s*).

You can look for the Speed Class Logo to identify the performance class of your memory cards and host devices.

taken from : http://www.sandisk.com/sdhc/SDHC.pdf

I read somewhere that, a 6 is not necessarily better than a 4, or a 4 a 2 because the device using the card may only write at a 2, or 4 - so having a 4 or 6 card is just spending more money, as the card can only write what the device offers ...I believe the Treo writes at class 2 ...
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    thank you
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    I use an 8gb SDHC card (that capacity is only available in HC format) - my card is Transcend.

They do work, but you need to add a file to your device called SDIO something which you can find searching for sdio on the forums. This file has to be added by copying to SD and copying to RAM from there. It is the newer SD driver for Palm OS and allows the HC cards to be used.

The downside is that if you keep backups on your card and ever need to hard reset your device, you need to get the SDIO file back on the device before you can access the card (so keeping it on the card itself won't help you in that circumstance).

Also, the 1.10 ROM update for Sprint reportedly has this built in, presumably the Verizon update is similarly equipped so you won't have to deal with this last part after the update.
    I have a Patriot 8g card and it works after the MR. There is no need to install the additional driver the MR includes it. The system still only reads 4g at a time.
    Last edited by Parityone; 07/11/2007 at 11:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Can you use (does it work) a SDHC 4gb card right out of the box in a Sprint Treo 700P with the MR?
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Does it take forever to delete large (>10MB) files from your 8gb SD cards?

I have a 4GB Ritek and it takes forever (read: minutes to hours) to delete big files.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    If you install the MR the below is false. The MR included the SDHC driver.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrasny View Post
    I use an 8gb SDHC card (that capacity is only available in HC format) - my card is Transcend.

They do work, but you need to add a file to your device called SDIO something which you can find searching for sdio on the forums. This file has to be added by copying to SD and copying to RAM from there. It is the newer SD driver for Palm OS and allows the HC cards to be used.

The downside is that if you keep backups on your card and ever need to hard reset your device, you need to get the SDIO file back on the device before you can access the card (so keeping it on the card itself won't help you in that circumstance).

Also, the 1.10 ROM update for Sprint reportedly has this built in, presumably the Verizon update is similarly equipped so you won't have to deal with this last part after the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Does it take forever to delete large (>10MB) files from your 8gb SD cards?

I have a 4GB Ritek and it takes forever (read: minutes to hours) to delete big files.
    No, but I use Card Export to add or delete large files.
    i have an 8GB Transcend Class 2 card and it does take forever to delete/copy/move large files. it takes so long sometimes i think it froze up on me.
    I think mine is a class 6
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone View Post
    I have a Patriot 8g card and it works after the MR. There is no need to install the additional driver the MR includes it. The system still only reads 4g at a time.
    I just received a Transcend 8GB SDHC and put it in my 700p with 1.10 on it and it's reading 4 GB. So if I have more than 4 GB of video on it, does it automatically switch to the "other" 4 GB? I am not sure what it does or is there something I have to do to myself to switch its "reading"
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirwoody View Post
    I just received a Transcend 8GB SDHC and put it in my 700p with 1.10 on it and it's reading 4 GB. So if I have more than 4 GB of video on it, does it automatically switch to the "other" 4 GB? I am not sure what it does or is there something I have to do to myself to switch its "reading"
    The Treo will access all 8G, it just shows 4G at a time under card info. After you have more than 4G's of data on the card it show the remaining 4G.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Ok, is there any advantage to using a 4GB SDHC card vs. a standard 4GB? I'm using a standard 4GB card now.
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    Ok, is there any advantage to using a 4GB SDHC card vs. a standard 4GB? I'm using a standard 4GB card now.
    There is no critical disadvantage to using a standard 4gb over a 4gb SDHC. It's just officially, Palm only will support SDHC for cards over 2GB.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    I can only speak from my experience with my Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card, which is the only large card that I've used that had a reasonable write speed, far better than the Transcend 4GB 150x SD card that I used for most of 700p's life. The new Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card is also much better than the Patriot 8GB Class 4 SDHC card and the A-Data 4GB SD cards. Checkout this thread and this thread for more details.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    So to put it in a nutshell, SDHC does faster data transfer right??
    i finally get my transcend 8 GB SDCH class 6 card today. For all you MR users out there, is there any need to format this card at all (32b clusters), or can i just use it out the box aince the MR has given me the driver needed for the card? If the answer is no, then if I format anyway, will my card be noticeably faster? thx.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast