1.    #1  
    I play a a lot of Monopoly on my phone.

Lately, I've been noticing a bizzare lag between player's turns. Usually, each turn is handled fairly instantly. Now occasionally there is a 1 or 2 second lag between turns, like the computer is "thinking". I've been playing monopoly for years since the T300, and I have never seen this before. Shutting out of the program, and coming back in usualy fixes the problem, only to start up again in a few minutes.

Any ideas? And- is there a defragmentation program for the main memory? Just a guess as to the problem.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    The Palm OS does not suffer from fragmentation issues. It is the implementation of the OS and the hardware used.

Ben
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    If the game is being loaded of the SD card, then the card may be fragmented. You can defragment and do a scandisk to see if there are any errors on the card by putting in a card reader and letting XP do it. If the game is in main memory, then there is no fragmentation.

If you are using Exchange Active Sync, then your unit may be syncing in background, or you may be performing a pull of a mailbox or data (like scheduled weather updates, etc.). This will cause a slight lag when it happens.
    I attribute all my lags (and I get them frequently enough) to Chatter. However, Chatter is indespensible and I put up with the lags.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    You have a point about the defragementation on the card. As for ChatterEmail, I use it extensively - and yes there are the lags, due to message processing, server issues, data/signal issues.

Ben
  6.    #6  
    Im referring to running it in Ram, not on the card.

Also, I'm not running activesync, or chatter or anything that should be checking into the internet.

That's whats got me. Nothing should slow it down, it's almost as if the hardware is slowing down.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    The basic lag is due to the hardware used by the 700p - it was originally designed for the 700w. Palm posted a discussion about this a while back in their forums. Ben
    I just noticed this today....does anyone else notice this:

If you go to contacts and say hit "new contact" the blank form comes up immediately, if you then press "done" without entering anything there is a very noticeable delay before the 755p goes back to the contact list! It is REALLY annoying.

I just tried on my old 650 and sure enough when you press "done" it INSTANTLY returns to the contact list. What is up with that? Is it really a hardware issue causing that?
    that's horrible!
    a second of lag with making a blank contact... times is hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjapan View Post
    that's horrible!
    a second of lag with making a blank contact... times is hard!
    O.K. first off...not a very constructive comment...

The issue isn't just the lag, the issue is that Palm keeps producing products that have problems their older products did NOT have.

Say what you will about Micro$oft, but they churn products out and each one is a little less sucky then the the last and eventually they have a decent product...

With Palm one step forward means one step back...

If something as *simple* as finishing/closing a new contact entry has a lag...what does that mean for far more complex applications, like blazer, snapper, etc etc....both of which I've now noticed have the same lag that others have mentioned and neither of which existed on the 650.

This being the case, don't you think I (and others) will think 3 times before buying the NEXT Treo? What then? A lag when when you look up a calendar appointment?
    ... I was playing around with you!
    People are unusually touchy

I blame the iHope
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    I play a a lot of Monopoly on my phone.

Lately, I've been noticing a bizzare lag between player's turns. Usually, each turn is handled fairly instantly. Now occasionally there is a 1 or 2 second lag between turns, like the computer is "thinking". I've been playing monopoly for years since the T300, and I have never seen this before. Shutting out of the program, and coming back in usualy fixes the problem, only to start up again in a few minutes.

Any ideas? And- is there a defragmentation program for the main memory? Just a guess as to the problem.

Getting back to the topic of the post, I have the same problem with Agression, the Risk-like game. On my 650, computer turns were instant, but now with the 755, it is like it is "thinking" for a bit before each turn. also a lag in getting to menues and exiting.

Funny thing is that, for the most part, I am not getting noticible lage anywere else on any other programs, just the Agression game.

Only thing that makes sense to me is it has to do with the way the Treo is accessing the mini-SD card. I had the game on my card on the 650 and it is on the card on the 755.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    I just noticed this today....does anyone else notice this:

If you go to contacts and say hit "new contact" the blank form comes up immediately, if you then press "done" without entering anything there is a very noticeable delay before the 755p goes back to the contact list! It is REALLY annoying.

I just tried on my old 650 and sure enough when you press "done" it INSTANTLY returns to the contact list. What is up with that? Is it really a hardware issue causing that?
    I have about a 3seconds of lag when opening the main contacts screen. This includes going to the screen from the Phone view, or clicking the done button as you have described...
  15.    #15  
    So you're running Aggression off the card?

That could explain some issues, however my monopoly is in RAM, so it's a RAM hardware lag. It also goes away, and doesn't seem to matter how full my ram is when it happens.

Happily, I have none of the other lag issues that I did with my 650. Oh, except using Snappermail there is a little lag the first time I open an email. The general lagginess of the 650 is not there on my 755p.

aside:

Say what you will about Micro$oft, but they churn products out and each one is a little less sucky then the the last and eventually they have a decent product...

-except Vista