Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are conflicting threads on this topic.

I bought TomTom V6.010 for use with my Treo 650.

I now have a Treo 755p and am trying to install TomTom on it. TomTom home doesn't even recognize that I have a valid device in my hotsync cradle (although I have a vague memory that that was true before as well).

Can someone who has had success please document how they installed on their 755p?

Are there issues with performing a second install with the same product?

Thanks,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Install TomTom onto your SD card in a directory structure on root - with folders named TomTom (contains all program files), Voices (any voice add ons you want) and Maps (contains all map data or sub-folders for different maps if needed).

Copy TomTom 6.010 update patch files for 680 (I know you have a 755) from Palm's site into TomTom folder on your SD, overwriting what is there.

Sync the patch's Start.prc through Hotsync and launch through normal browser the program called Navigator (created from HotSyncing Start.prc).

Good luck. P.S. - ever play Planetside with that alias?
    Read the TomTom topic here in the 755p section. Make sure you format your card correctly based on the size of the memory card you want to install the maps on. If you dont do this correctly it will run slow and heck.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I disagree with the formatting recommendation in this thread and the other. I have tried it both ways to see which works best for me.

For me, the best method was to format the card using the built in Palm feature and then performing the step by step install method as described above. TomTom then performs very smoothly with no lag.

The primary reason for me disagreeing with the formatting method, as it can possibly lead to the Treo not recognizing the card after resets or write failures (when bad chunks appear). It makes it difficult if not impossible to see with the Palm OS and possibly with an external reader.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice, all. I'll give this a try tonight.

The format question is moot as I can't format my SD any longer. I've installed too much other stuff!

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk

PS to Dim-Ize: nope. never played Planetside. Based on its name, I would probably like it though!
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  6.    #6  
    Dim-Ize ... Thank you!

Your procedure worked perfectly. I have TomTom working on my T755p now.

Best regards,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I have done all that on my 755, but starting TOMTOM resets palm. Any ideas?
    I have done all that on my 755, but starting TOMTOM resets palm. Any ideas?
    Use 6.030 and it should work correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Use 6.030 and it should work correctly.
    Great thanks, it worked. Should I apply update for 680?
    Not entirely sure, I'd say don't bother, why mess with it if its working?
    I'm a little fuzzy on the use of TomTom or any GPS software on my Treo. Will it work for GeoCaching and stuff if I just put software alone on the T-755p, or do I need a separate receiver?

I got my T-755p yesterday and am really eager to work with GPS if it supports it, which someone informed me it does. Open to any ideas and thanks for your help
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexasha View Post
    Great thanks, it worked. Should I apply update for 680?
    After I applied the 680 patch my version became 6.030, so my guess is that it's the same thing.

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashworth102680 View Post
    I'm a little fuzzy on the use of TomTom or any GPS software on my Treo. Will it work for GeoCaching and stuff if I just put software alone on the T-755p, or do I need a separate receiver?

I got my T-755p yesterday and am really eager to work with GPS if it supports it, which someone informed me it does. Open to any ideas and thanks for your help
    The software needs a Bluetooth GPS to talk to. The GPS (mine is suction-cupped to my windshield and looks like a radar detector) knows where you are, the software uses that to do its thing.

It'll work fine for GeoCaching if you buy a GPS receiver you can carry with you while you wander in the woods.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    If you're only doing geocaching, TomTom is a waste, there's freeware like cotoGPS that is much better for that purpose.
  16.    #16  
    If you're only doing geocaching, TomTom is a waste, there's freeware like cotoGPS that is much better for that purpose.
    True, but if you use it in your car it's fine for the other as well. Assuming all you want is your GPS location when you hide a cache.

Are there any apps that overlay satellite images from your GPS location? Now that would be cool for GeoCaching.

Of course, if you're really into GeoCaching you need a new hobby

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk

PS- "Not that there's anything wrong with that"
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Okay so I just got a miniSD memory card. It turns out, TomTom 6.030 on the 755p, doesn't work entirely properly. The 5-way navigator only works for up and down, and left/right on it don't work, nor does the center button.
    Okay so I just got a miniSD memory card. It turns out, TomTom 6.030 on the 755p, doesn't work entirely properly. The 5-way navigator only works for up and down, and left/right on it don't work, nor does the center button.
    Remove the program from RAM and reset. Then start TomTom from card. The 5-way should work. It's been working for me and others using 6.030. When you updated TomTom on the card, another version in RAM did not get updated. It will update if you delete it from RAM and then launch, using the newer version, from your card.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Remove the program from RAM and reset. Then start TomTom from card. The 5-way should work. It's been working for me and others using 6.030. When you updated TomTom on the card, another version in RAM did not get updated. It will update if you delete it from RAM and then launch, using the newer version, from your card.
    Aah, okay, thanks for the help. The only issue with this now is that the menu key doesn't open the menu anymore in this version, but I guess I can deal with that.
    I love my TomTom, I have it on my miniSD for my 755(Blue) & it just rocks! Yes, with the 680 patch....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast