Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Did the update this afternoon in Tampa. The tech was afraid to do it as he had bricked two phones earlier. I told him about making sure that the phones had been hard reset, so he tried on a new phone. It worked and then he did mine, which also went fine. Everything seems faster. Very happy!! The other tech in the store didn't even know that they had the update. Also they received no detailed instructions, just the SD card. They just put in the card and follow the instructions on the Treo screen. Seems kind of lame if that is true that Verizon sent no instructions to the techs.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    Plus they can swap you out right then and there if you have a problem.
    Will they swap out the phone if yours is out of warranty?
    Irritating problem: I just got the MR at the Verizon store in Sioux Falls, SD.

I did a *228 option 1, and all seemed fine. But Blazer is behaving strangely. If the data connection is not already up (indicated by the blinking green led turning orange and the arrows above the signal strength meter turning green) it won't navigate to any site. It says "sending," but the little orange bolt going around the globe freezes, and eventually an error message pops up. I'm in a city that does not yet have EVDO, btw.

What's the deal here? It's like Blazer has lost control of the data connection, and can only work when ChatterMail turns the connection on.
    Got mine done today at the East Syracuse, New York Verizon Wireless Store. Took the advice from this thread and went to a standalone store that is owned by VZW and not a kiosk or authorized dealer. They told me I would lose all data (which I knew) and it would take about a half hour. I did a hard reset on it my 700p while waiting for the paperwork as I had everything backed up to SD.

Went back about an hour later and they handed me my phone back. I restored from SD and everything works fine. My 700p was actually working great and I don't notice a lot of difference. There was a slightly different set up process on how it would access the time, date and time zone. Haven't had much more time to play with it since this afternoon.

I went straight to Tech Service at the store and said I read there was new software for the 700p and I would like my phone updated. She checked with the techs and came back in about a minute and said "No problem." She did the paperwork and life went on from there. I kept my SD card with me for security purposes.

Thanks for the heads up that I heard first here on Treo Central.

Kraig
  5. jlc
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Tried 4 full service VZW stores (by phone); each of which insisted the update is available only online.

Does anyone have a part number for the update?
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Will they swap out the phone if yours is out of warranty?
    I would say if you gave your phone to a service tech to professionally install software, it it bricks while it is in their hands, I see no reason why they would not replace it.

If I were you, I would verify it with the Tech before I hand it to him that if something happens to your Treo as a result of the upgrade while they are doing it, that you are completely covered...just for piece of mind
    Update: it's not just a blazer problem, because it's also killing google maps intermittently. Again, if the data connection isn't already active, the phone won't allow google maps or blazer to initiate it.

Even immediately following a hard reset, prior to any sync operation, it's doing this with 1.10. I go to blazer, and it establishes the broadband access connection and opens the palm page. Then I wait for the orange led to change back into a green led, and try to go to one of the preset bookmarks (mapquest) and it gives me a cannot find requested page error. This is directly out of a hard reset! Crap!
    Last edited by nestor87; 07/07/2007 at 06:40 PM.
    Goto Prefs, Network, bring down the menu and select Options.
    Then select Preferences and check "Connect to the data network whenever the phone is powered on."

Don't know why it doesn't do it by default, but this corrected the Blazer, Google and other similar issues for me.

Hope this helps.

Kraig
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Ditto for Phoenix Arizona area.

611 was clueless, and 3 local stores that the website says does do software upgrading knew what I was talking about, but didn't have the upgrade in house.
    Welp thanks for doing that fast Homework before I started to. Im also in Phx and i guess itll be a failed attempt to get it for the moment.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Can anyone attach the new 1.10 rom files for verizon? The sprint ones were listed on this forum and worked great!
    Good news! Thanks for the posts. Thank goodness for TC as we'd never find out about this stuff otherwise.

I think VZW's cautious approach to this upgrade is splendiforous. Not to mention, VERY smart as opposed to the Sprint way documented on this board. If only we "power users" know about it and identify issues, the general public is none the wiser; if we give "thumbs up", then it goes on the Palm site.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Does anyone know what Verizon's policy is with 3rd party phones? I bought my 700p on ebay. Will they do the update? What happens if it bricks the phone?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    First off, I did get the update from a Verizon store in the surburban Cincinnati area. The technician had the update but initially did not want to give it to me. He said that the 1.10 update was not supposed to be given to current 700P owners but was supposed to be installed on all of their new 700P's. He said Palm would be posting the update for current users later...but would be doing me a favor by giving it to me today. I gently reminded him that I was the one doing them a favor by putting up with a buggy, no update having device for over a year. He agreed, and we proceeded w/ the update.

I did one last system backup (NV Backup), did a hard reset, let the tech install the SD card w/ the MR update, waitied about half hour and voila...update done. After the update, I did the 2-phase programing (*228 option 1 then *228 option 2), restored my system and was off and running. I've experienced no system crashes, no "white-screen" of death, and opening and closing blazer is extremely snappy. So I'm very satisfied with those things. My Bluetooth earpiece, although seeming to remain connected without issue, seems to be performing a little worst. Static increases at even shorter distances than before. I'm going to play around with it and repair to see if that helps the situation before I start pressing the panic button just yet. I have not tested the SMS issue, P-Tunes skipping, or "P-Tunes multitasking" yet but I will do that shortly and post my results.

All in all, a great and much needed update...just wish the device would have been like this a year earlier.

Update: Just repaired my bluetooth device and I still expirience the same issue. In fact, I checked my trusted device information and even though I have a Motorola H700, my device ID is now some wierd alpha-numeric text...it no longer says Motorola H700. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by qb11g; 07/07/2007 at 09:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    In fact, I checked my trusted device information and even though I have a Motorola H700, my device ID is now some wierd alpha-numeric text...it no longer says Motorola H700. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Yep. From the first post in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    I did notice that the names of the devices had been replaced with BT addresses. But so far everything worked!
    I went back, deleted all BT pairings, and started again. When I re-paired, the names came back.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Yep. From the first post in this thread:

I went back, deleted all BT pairings, and started again. When I re-paired, the names came back.
    You sure did. I guess reading is fundamental Thanks alot!
  16. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Just to balance out the responses, while I initially had a weird experience with Blazer not loading pages, I cannot currently reproduce the problem people are describing. My Blazer has no trouble initiating the Broadband Network connection, or finding sites after that. I attributed my inability to load pages to being in an area with bad coverage. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

P.S. several of us with the ROM have offered to share it if somebody can provide a good link with instructions. So far I haven't seen one except somebody linking to a huge rambling thread saying "look at this, it might work on a 700p." I have no problem doing it if all I have to do is follow directions, I just don't have time to research it properly myself.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    we need a verizon employee to sneak it out
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Does anyone know what Verizon's policy is with 3rd party phones? I bought my 700p on ebay. Will they do the update? What happens if it bricks the phone?

Thanks!
    First - DONT TELL THEM where you got it, it's the phone you use and the update is needed! just ask them to do it...

Second. Here's a clipped version of my experience.

I got my 700p from the insurance ppl and it came with 1.06 version.
    I called *611. and he called the store. I ended on hold twice for 30 min each.
    [SO CALL THE STORE!] I finally just went down there.

I did a full backup with NVBackup in the mean time.

I had to argue with the tech until he called his buddy and found it in a drawer on an SD card. After explaining three times that I had all my data backed up, he finally started it. I had to wait 30 minutes for the update to be installed.

After it finished, I called *228 option 1 and did the programming. It went fine.

Then I launched NVBackup and did a restore. After it reset, it was all back and working fine.
    PDAs:Cassiopeia>PalmIIIXE>N710C>N760C>NX60U>600>650+700p>Centro
    FAV APPS: Zlauncher, NVBackup, U.T.S., TCPMP, PalmFiction, datebk6, 3xcom.
    Treo Repairs; video editing; VHS>DVD...
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i cant wait to download the new firmware.
    Kraig: I tried that, but it didn't seem to help.

PSM: are you in an EVDO area? I am not.

Is anyone in a non-evdo area so we can compare notes? I'm still having trouble with the data connection.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast